voltaire-er

filing for work permit before marriage k1

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

hey folks,

so i'm in the states on a k1. our wedding is scheduled for 2/15, which means we could file for the AOS around 3/1 (we will have to wait for a copy of the marriage certificate). i had a job interview today and they really really really want me to start ASAP. i offered to volunteer until my work permit kicks in, but i'd rather get paid :)

is there any point in filing for the EAD card now. i know i would have to spent $340. or should i just wait for 6 weeks?

thanks

christian

Just wait. The EAD you could get now will expire when your I-94 does.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

If you pay for the EAD now, prior to AOS, it will take 60-90 days to arrive. It will expire the day your I-94 expires. Then you will have to quit working and wait for the EAD from the AOS. So what would be the point?

You can't work until you actually receive the EAD, you can't start work just because you filed for it.

Edited by belinda63

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Unfortunately there's not much point in doing it now unless you like to give the government money for no particular reason.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

hey folks,

so i'm in the states on a k1. our wedding is scheduled for 2/15, which means we could file for the AOS around 3/1 (we will have to wait for a copy of the marriage certificate). i had a job interview today and they really really really want me to start ASAP. i offered to volunteer until my work permit kicks in, but i'd rather get paid smile.png

is there any point in filing for the EAD card now. i know i would have to spent $340. or should i just wait for 6 weeks?

thanks

christian

If you file for EAD it will expire when the I-94 does, and it takes some time to process, effectively, you might be able to use it a few days at the most.

When you file AOS, you file for EAD, and it would take 2-3 months to be in your hands; not much can be done to expedite that.

They will have to wait for you

You can't volunteer to work unpaid for a job that would normally require payment. So you can't work for free in the meantime and then switch to being paid.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Also you are not allowed to volunteer for a normally paid position especially one that you will later be paid for. It is considered working and both you and the company can get into big trouble

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

alright, thanks for the info.

so how about this: my future employer creates a volunteer position that is strictly not paid. in the future i would hold another position with that company. that would work, correct?

different scenario: i'm also in school back in germany and still need my internship. i could fill an unpaid internship position correct?

Timeline

You could do NOTHING related to your future job. If you are an engineer you had best be washing dishes. It would have to be a position that is normall unpaid at the company and NOT related to your future job.

Timeline

Does the school have a prior arrangement with the company and does the company usually have internships ? Is it really worth risking your status to start early ? If your pay ( assuming you got the job ) is significant and much more than your spouse you could try for an expedite of the EAD based on severe financial loss. May or may not work.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Duplicate thread merged, please do not make multiple threads for the same/similar topic~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

File for the EAD with your AOS and then request an expedite based on job offer > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/453753-how-to-request-to-expedite-your-ead-based-on-a-job-offer/

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

File for the EAD with your AOS and then request an expedite based on job offer > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/453753-how-to-request-to-expedite-your-ead-based-on-a-job-offer/

I did that too!

File your AOS with EAD and AP right after the marriage and as soon as you have your receipt number call customer service.

Your reason is "severe financial loss" because you can't possibly accept this job without an EAD which means you lose money.

Your potential employer has to write you a letter that says that they want to employ you once you have your EAD. Have them put in a date on which they offer you to start.

After you filed for your expedite you'll get an email with the request to bring proof of the job offer. You fax the letter from your future employer and within 1-.2 weeks your EAD (including AP) will be in the mail.

Important: you have to have your biometrics done. Usually you can go there on a walk-in basis before your actual appointment but you will need the invitation letter.

Congrats on the job offer and the upcoming wedding :)

Edited by Kisturia

Nov 30th 2012.....Filed Petition I-129F

Dec 6th 2012.......NOA1 (VSC)

May 29th 2013.....File got transferred to TSC

June 18th 2013....NOA2 (after 196 days!!!)

July 9th 2013.......Case is sent to NVC

July 18th 2013.....Medical in Munich

Aug 28th 2013.....Interview in FRN - Approved!

Aug 30th 2013.....Visa in mail!

Sep 13th 2013.....POE Boston

Nov 12th 2013.....Wedding in Old City Hall, Boston

Dec 02nd 2013....Sent AOS package

Dec 04th 2013.....Package received

Jan 02nd 2014.....Requested expedite for EAD due to severe financial loss (pending job offer)
Jan 06th 2014......Biometrics Appointment
Jan 07th 2014......EAD/AP Combo Card in production
Jan 13th 2014......Combo Card received in mail
Mar 12th 2014.....Potential Interview Waiver Letter
Apr 23rd 2014......Status update to "Card Production"
Apr 25th 2014......Status update to "Decision"
Apr 28th 2014......Welcome Letter arrived
May 3rd 2014.......Green Card arrived

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.