114 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Being a member of this website has offered me great support and knowledge while going through this process. I have recently returned from visiting my husband and step children over the holidays. I helped my husband through a hospital procedure, celebrated his birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's. I made new curtains for our apartment that we secured during my last visit, drove the kids to school, made lunches and was able to be a wife and step mother. I have now returned to my apartment in Canada, returned to my job and feeling complete emptiness and heartbreak. My mental health is being greatly challenged and at times I am feeling so depressed that I wonder how much longer I can endure the wait. The process is inhumane. I would love to ask any of those in power over our cases to be separated from their children, husbands for over a year and hear how they react and see how many of them end up physically and mentally ill from the stress.

Stress is the number one cause of life threatening disease! Cancers, heart problems, raised cholesterol, suicide are all affected or caused by severe stress!

This treatment is inhumane. We are being tortured.

I do try and think of the positive...that everyday is one day closer....that I am happy to have spent some time together....to continue to do the things I have enjoyed in the past to protect myself. I work in the field of health!

So....thank you for letting me vent! Thank you for being strong and being there for me and others. Only those of us going through this can understand the pain and torment.

Wishing that we stay strong together and that our strength and love will make this world a better place one day!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Inhumane is a very appropriate description of this whole process. I too scratch my head and wonder why it takes so long. If USCIS and NVC is so backed up, well we have quite a few people out of work - hire some of them!

I wouldn't have minded if it was the 5-7 month time frame it used to be but now it's closing on 1 year for us and for some couples behind us, it's taking over a year - yikes!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Process & Procedures to Progress Reports.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

It is a very hard process. I remember crying a lot and being sad because I could only visit my husband for a week at a time every 3 months. In that regard I still felt fortunate because I know others cannot visit at all. The USC spouse cannot take a bunch of time off work and the beneficiary isn't able to visit due to tourist visa regulations. (Which has a fix IMHO.) My husband and I lived on Skype and fighting ended up with one of us hanging up and being frustrated that we couldn't just hug and make up. But in the end it's better than someone who has only letters or the occasional email. In the end I try to concentrate on the good and control the things I could control like what ended up going to the NVC. (As Canadians we get electronic processing so I spent a great deal of time making the IV and AOS packages.)

Winter I think is an even worse time to go through this as we spend more time inside, see less sun, tend to be vitamin D deficient, and already have seasonal depression of a type. The best thing really is to start vitamin D supplements, and try to get outside as much as possible. Spend time with friends you likely will not see again for some time (if at all.) Start a class. Exercise. Figure out how to get around where you're going to live (something I should have done more of.) And all in all, be grateful that it's not forever and one day you will be reunited with your loved ones. Be happy you have someone to do this process with and know they, and you, are worth this effort. After all, this is not a process for the faint of heart and not one I would personally have undertaken if I did not, wholeheartedly, believe that this man was my soul-mate; the one person in this world I was supposed to be with; and that he felt exactly the same way.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Inhumane to me brings up images of PETA supporters worrying about the calf in calf roping events ( the same calf who in months will have it's brains punched out to appear on your dinner table ) There is a process to be approved for residence in the US. It is a government process and it naturally slow. Living in an area where the government is being bankrupt by people with no respect for the process and want front of the line privileges for breaking to law I wish the government stuck to the process more rigidly . I the grand scheme of life a year is a small blimp in life. You get to visit during the process which is more than many get whining will not make it quicker.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

I agree being separated from your loved ones can be stressful. I've been separated from my husband since August 2012 and you have no idea how stressful I am. My hair falls off and I sleep less every night because I can't stop thinking about the process. You are lucky you had spend the holidays with them.

For those who wishes to see my timeline, I will fix it somewhere in the future.

Timeline

Winky I understand your pain and hope that this process ends quickly for you and all of us. I know I am very fortunate to be able to visit my husband. Each time I am permitted across the border I thank the border control officer overwhelming so and break down in tears once in the US with gratitude.

NLR thank you for your kind words, support and understanding.

I am not familiar with the next stage once receiving an approved NOA2. I would welcome more info on electronic processing and if there is anything I can do now to be prepared for next steps.

I have gone and had my immunizations up dated and am wondering if there is anything more that I can do to prepare. My husband has his tax returns ready from last 3 years and pay stubs for the past year for his affidavit of support.

Electronic filing I am not familiar with. Does this speed things up or is there a special way to prepare documents? Will we be notified from USCIS or NVC on electronic filing?

Sorry to ask so many questions. I have visited the thread on NVC process but not entirely clear.

Thanks again!

Winky I understand your pain and hope that this process ends quickly for you and all of us. I know I am very fortunate to be able to visit my husband. Each time I am permitted across the border I thank the border control officer overwhelming so and break down in tears once in the US with gratitude.

NLR thank you for your kind words, support and understanding.

I am not familiar with the next stage once receiving an approved NOA2. I would welcome more info on electronic processing and if there is anything I can do now to be prepared for next steps.

I have gone and had my immunizations up dated and am wondering if there is anything more that I can do to prepare. My husband has his tax returns ready from last 3 years and pay stubs for the past year for his affidavit of support.

Electronic filing I am not familiar with. Does this speed things up or is there a special way to prepare documents? Will we be notified from USCIS or NVC on electronic filing?

Sorry to ask so many questions. I have visited the thread on NVC process but not entirely clear.

Thanks again!

I understand your pain and you have every right to vent - the backlog [created at USCIS to adjudicate the I-130 of immediate relatives of USCs] cannot be justified - no matter what - we paid a premium fee for this and we deserve better service and truth from USCIS.

This link will answer some of your questions for the next stage, i.e., NVC: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/472916-nvc-filers-january-2014/

Good luck.

CR-1 Timeline (USCIS)
NOA-1 (PD): 05/16/2013

NOA-2: 02/03/2014

CR-1 Timeline (NVC)

NVC Received: 02/14/2014

Case# and IIN# assigned: 03/20/2014

Case Completed: 05/15/2014

CR-1 Timeline (ISL Consulate)

Interview Scheduled: 05/28/2014

Day of Interview: 07/22/2014

Interview result: Approved

Visa Received 08/07/2014 :dancing:

Timeline

Great help Naam_2013!

Looks like there are a few things that I can get busy with to help pass the time and make me 'feel' like I am doing something to help the process along!

If anyone lives in the Vancouver, Canada area I would love to connect. I don't know anybody here (long story as to why I am living here) and have no family or friends around for support.

i will check out the Canada forum or whatever it is called on here and see if I can make some connections to help along the way!

Good luck to you.....looks like you are coming close to an NOA2 approval. Fingers crossed for you!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think the time can be seen as both painful and beneficial in some cases.On one hand I miss my wife so much and it hurts to be apart from her.On the other hand if the process was quicker I probably wouldn't be as financially ready.Working and focusing on preparing a stable place for her is doing wonders for my sanity.Also thank God for the VJ forums among other things.

Edited by Baub

5-25-2013: Sent I-130 package

5-31-2013:Received text and email of NOA1(now waiting for Hard copy of NOA1)

6-03-2013:NOA1 Hard copy came in the mail

11-20-2013: "Transferred to another USCIS office"

1-8-2014:Received text of NOA2 and email

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
Snowflakepr, I hear you. I have not seen my husband since our wedding last year.I miss him so much. I miss the smell of him which makes feel safe all the time.I hope God will reunite us with our spouses soon.Take care of your health. You do not want to be sick when all this is over.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

I know how you feel and agree with your description. It is truly "inhumane". Even when you finally get past USCIS, you have to wait months to get through the NVC. It's pure torture and I couldn't imagine any of those employees having to go through what they take people through. There are a lot of people with jobs and our government can easily attack the unemployment and improve our immigration process by opening up more jobs at USCIS and the NVC. Hang in there, I hear when it's all said and done, it'll be worth it!

March 27, 2013 Package sent
March 28, 2013 Package received by USCIS Chicago Lockbox
March 29, 2013 NOA-1 Received
June 26, 2013 Contacted State Senator Merkley, Senator Wyden & Representative Blumenauer (So they could verify status because of a little bit of an emergency situation)
July 3, 2013 Response and update from Senator Merkley
July 8, 2013 Response and update from Representative Blumenauer

July 30, 2013 Contacted DHS Ombudsman about situation

August 8, 2013 Response and update from Senator Wyden

August 14, 2013 Received Case Number from DHS Ombudsman

August 16, 2013 Senator Wyden filed expedite request to USCIS on my behalf

September 12, 2013 Ombudsman filed expedite request to USCIS on my behalf

September 27, 2013 Alien Registration Number Changed

September 27, 2013 I-130 Petition Approved (About 15 minutes after the alien registration number was changed)

October 9, 2013 NVC Case Number Received

October 9, 2013 DS-261 Completed and AOS Fee Paid

October 21, 2013 IV Fee Invoice Received

October 21, 2013 IV Fee Paid

October 29, 2013 DS-260 Completed

November 2, 2013 Sent AOS and IV documents to NVC

November 4, 2013 Documents Arrived at NVC

December 15, 2013 RFE Sent to NVC

January 27. 2014 NVC Completed Review (Any remaining documents can be brought to interview)

February 27, 2014 Interview Scheduled for April 10th, 2014

April 10th, 2014 Visa Approved

April 13th, 2014 Vissa Issued

April 22, 2014 Ready for Pick-up

April 23rd, 2014 Picked up visa from UPS

May 2nd, 2014 P.O.E. Dallas/Fortworth

event.png

event.png

I find it stressful too. I've had people tell me that I was stupid for marrying someone so far away and should have just picked someone in the UK. Last I checked, you don't really control who you fall in love with. My hair is also falling out and I can't sleep at night. It will all be worth it when I finally have that visa in my passport <3

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.