juliebrulli

SPONSORSHIP REQUIREMENTS

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hello everyone!

I have been approved to applu for a K Visa with my boyfriend :)

Since he's not working at the moment so he does not have a tax return, can he fill the I.134 form and show that we have a joint bank account to maintain myself in the first three months? Somethink like $15000.

Thank you!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

No. He needs to fulfill the financial requirement of the I-134 to support both of you or have assets for 3 times the amount.

For two people, its about $60,000 in assets if there is no income.

$15,000 is not enough.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

He still needs to file the I-134. The assets are not enough as they would need to be 5 times the difference between current income (which is null) and the poverty guidelines. You'll need a co-sponsor.

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

05/21/2015 - Interview - Approved

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

10/12/2017 - ROC packet mailed to VSC

01/21/2019 - ROC Approved - there was no interview

The N-400 journey:

02/16/2020 - N-400 application filed online

02/21/2020 - Paper NOA received in the mail

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

02/02/2021 - Interview & test - Approved

02/05/2021 - Oath Ceremony

JOrOp1.png

Timeline

He still needs to file the I-134. The assets are not enough as they would need to be 5 times the difference between current income (which is null) and the poverty guidelines. You'll need a co-sponsor.

I believe it is 3 times for a spouse and 5 times for other family members.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

I thought 3 times was only for AOS?

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

05/21/2015 - Interview - Approved

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

10/12/2017 - ROC packet mailed to VSC

01/21/2019 - ROC Approved - there was no interview

The N-400 journey:

02/16/2020 - N-400 application filed online

02/21/2020 - Paper NOA received in the mail

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

02/02/2021 - Interview & test - Approved

02/05/2021 - Oath Ceremony

JOrOp1.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello,

what are the requirement for the co-sponsor on a I-130? Can the co-sponsor be a non us resident or citizen ? Does he have to live in the us?
Thank you

Timeline

Hello,

what are the requirement for the co-sponsor on a I-130? Can the co-sponsor be a non us resident or citizen ? Does he have to live in the us?

Thank you

The Joint Sponsor must be a US citizen or LPR over the age of 18.

The US citizen can live anywhere in the world.

The LPR (of course) must live in the US.

A non-US citizen, non-LPR cannot be the JS.

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

Thank you

Sponsor for Affidavit of Support

If you filed an immigrant visa petition for your relative, you must be the sponsor. You must also be at least 18 years old and a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident. You must have a domicile in the United States or a territory or possession of the United States. Usually, this requirement means you must actually live in the United States, or a territory or possession, in order to be a sponsor. If you live abroad, you may still be eligible to be a sponsor if you can show that your residence abroad is temporary, and that you still have your domicile in the United States.

Section 213A of the INA permits both a "joint sponsor" and a "substitute sponsor" in certain cases.

Joint Sponsor

A joint sponsor is someone who is willing to accept legal responsibility for supporting your family member with you. A joint sponsor must meet all the same requirements as you, except the joint sponsor does not need to be related to the immigrant. The joint sponsor (or the joint sponsor and his or her household) must reach the 125% income requirement alone. You cannot combine your income with that of a joint sponsor to meet the income requirement.

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/affidavit-support

1.You must be a US Citizen over the age of 18.

2. You must have your own place for example you can't be living in your parents house and it has to be a suitable place to live.

3. You must meet 125% of the household financial income requirement for example if it's just you living there and your fiance you must make $19,387 or more annually.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf

I'm not too sure about how the assets thing works.

Edited by corvusheart

- I am the US Sponsor-

Removal of Conditions (pending)

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

pokemon-signature-278b875.jpg

Forgot one thing.

You also cannot be drawing from public funds such as foodstamps or welfare or anything like that.

- I am the US Sponsor-

Removal of Conditions (pending)

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

pokemon-signature-278b875.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

If the visa is refused on financial grounds, you are usually given a couple of months to come up with another co-sponsor.

Being refused a K1 fiance visa doesn't mean you are banned from other visas such as a tourist or work visa, but it WILL make them more difficult to get, because you clearly have immigrant intent.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

1.You must be a US Citizen over the age of 18. <- No. You can also be a permanent resident. You do not have to be a US citizen to sponsor. See the answers given before yours in this thread.

2. You must have your own place for example you can't be living in your parents house and it has to be a suitable place to live. <- No. There is no requirement for a sponsor to be living on their own. They can share a residence with anyone they like, including their parents. As long as they meet the income requirements, then they can sponsor. What exactly is a 'suitable place to live'? Point out in the instructions where it states any of this because I have read through the instructions many, many times over the years, and I have never seen such a thing stated anywhere. Household size is not determined by who lives with who.

3. You must meet 125% of the household financial income requirement for example if it's just you living there and your fiance you must make $19,387 or more annually.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf

I'm not too sure about how the assets thing works.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I thought 3 times was only for AOS?

There is no guideline for assets with the I-134, so if the consulates go by the I-864 guidelines, same as for the income requirement, it would be 3 times for a spouse/fiance(e). However, some consulates seem to want to see at least 5 times. It is more difficult to know what the CO will decide for an I-134, since the leeway they have with it is so broad. When you AOS and use the I-864 it is definitely 3 times for a spouse.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.