maximus

Sending kids to wifes parents to raise. Advice needed.

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Me and my wife may need to send both our kids a 1 yr. old and 5 yr. old to Philippines to live with my wifes parents for at least 2 yrs or more. We can not make it with my only income and the stress of the kids is taking a emotional toll on both of us. My wife is unable to get a job to help because then we need to pay child care for 2 children. We have NO family here to help us. Me and my wife fight and argue and the stress on my wife is enormous to handle 2 kids on her own. Anyone have or been thru this and what happened in your case?

Me and my wife may need to send both our kids a 1 yr. old and 5 yr. old to Philippines to live with my wifes parents for at least 2 yrs or more. We can not make it with my only income and the stress of the kids is taking a emotional toll on both of us. My wife is unable to get a job to help because then we need to pay child care for 2 children. We have NO family here to help us. Me and my wife fight and argue and the stress on my wife is enormous to handle 2 kids on her own. Anyone have or been thru this and what happened in your case?

Are the 2 kids your own or hers or together? I assume they must be hers because you're thinking of sending back to the Phillippines.

I find it very STRANGE for a mom to be OK with the idea of separating herself from her own kid(s). They're her own BLOOD! If she does that, you think she would be loyal to you?

Moms would do anything for their kids, including sacrificing their own lives. What you just described really puzzled me!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Seems very common in PI, different cultures.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

the 5 yr old is hers and the 1 yr is thru our marriage. im heart broken of the idea of sending either one of the kids but the stress on my wife being alone to take care of the kids, there has been several times were my wife was so sick could barely get out of bed and i took off from work, im out of sick leave now. the living cost for the kids would be 1/3 of what it cost to raise the kids in usa. my wife is on the verge of nervious, emotional break down. we want to try to get her mom here to usa on touist visa but that seems difficult to obtain for a poor family.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If the grandparents are willing to take on the responsibility, then go for it.

All the best. rose.gif

Filed: Timeline

the 5 yr old is hers and the 1 yr is thru our marriage. im heart broken of the idea of sending either one of the kids but the stress on my wife being alone to take care of the kids, there has been several times were my wife was so sick could barely get out of bed and i took off from work, im out of sick leave now. the living cost for the kids would be 1/3 of what it cost to raise the kids in usa. my wife is on the verge of nervious, emotional break down. we want to try to get her mom here to usa on touist visa but that seems difficult to obtain for a poor family.

Do what you and your Wife feel is in the best interest of your family.

Good luck.

Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

sorry i sound harsh , but why have children and send them off somewhere when you cant handle them.

What would you tell your kids when they get older. Why have kids at all if you cant afford them.??

i just get mad because i 'm my case i really really want kids but am waiting till we are financially set and one of us has a college degree.

Sounds like your wife has Postpartum Depression . She can get help and get medicine and will probaly end up feeling better.

Adjustment of status after K1 visa ClockWatch2.gif

2013-08-12 (Day 1 ) - Sent my Aos package for work permit and green Card

2013-08-20 (DAY 8) Noa1 received via Text around 11pm, next day was email. Received my case numbers

2013-08-23 (Day 11)- received hard copy in mail for Noa1 gc , Work permit

2013-08-30 (Day 18) Received Biometrics appointment letter in the mail.

2013-09-17 (Day 25) biometrics appointment day @2pm Detriot

2013-09-25 (Day 33) received text and email , I485 changed to testing and interview

2013-10-02 (Day 40) received text message and email @7am about my interview date

2013-10-04 (Day 42) Received hard copy interview letter in the mail

2013-10-10 (Day 48) Work permit Card in production

2013-10-16 (Day 54) 2nd Text and email @830am Work permit in Production

2013-10-21 (Day 59) text/email notice 10am . Work Permit sent

2013-10-21(Day 59)Text/ email @9pm received text with tracking number -2 day delievery

2013-10-24(Day 62) received my work permit in the mail.

2013-10-25 Filled for my Social Security number today

2013-11-05 (Day 74) Interview November 5th (1.40pm)...... APPROVED!! kicking.gif

2013-11-05(Day 74) Text and Email - Green card in Production @2.30pm

2013-11-05 (Day 74) Text and email @8.15pm Mailed notice that i am a registered permanent resident

2013-11-07 (Day 76) 2nd Text and email @11.30am - green card in production

2013-11-09 (Day 78) Welcome letter received - WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!

2013-11-12 (Day 81) - Received text and email - Green card sent @1.15pm

2013-11-12 (Day 81) @9pm received text and email - with UPS tracking number - For Green card

2013-11-15 (Day 84) Green card Received dancin5hr.gif

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds like the last thing you need is another mouth to feed.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Duplicate topics merged.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

It sounds as if your wife has depression. If you send your children away to live with your parents it will not alleviate that. You need to seek professional help for wife, for the sake of your wifes happiness, for yours and your children's happiness. If cost is an issue the overall outcome is worth it. Please do not sacrifice your family for fear you can't afford it.

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

not to mention that seperation anxiety can be a lifetime issue for the kids. To be sent away from the parents, even as young as 1 year old, can have a serious impact on the children, even if it is temporary. All they know is they are not with their parents who are supposed to love them and be there for them. And the impact can go on well into adulthood, creating anxiety and relationship issues down the road. I feel sad for the kids...

Edited by Brijo

Timeline

Thats my biggist concern is the 1 yr old wont no the birth parents cuz grand parents take care of them. I really need advice from someone who has actually sent the kids to phil. Im sure its happen b4. Or anyone know if its possible to bring the grandma on tourist visa to usa n help us or try a family visa if my wife bcum citizen n usa?

Edited by maximus

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thats my biggist concern is the 1 yr old wont no the birth parents cuz grand parents take care of them. I really need advice from someone who has actually sent the kids to phil. Im sure its happen b4. Or anyone know if its possible to bring the grandma on tourist visa to usa n help us or try a family visa if my wife bcum citizen n usa?

Sponsoring her parents and bringing them here is possible.

Another concern with sending the oldest (which is a K2) to live in the Phils is that USCIS could revoke the green card if gone too long, then that child would not be allowed to come back into the States without petitioning again.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.