Trymester3

DId any of you take out loans to boost up your numbers on the Affidavit of Support?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

You don't have to get super detailed, but I was just curious. I guess taking one from your bank wouldn't be smart, as it will be revealed when you have to submit a bank statement during the interview. I'm just curious if you took one out just to show that your bank account is not that poor. I already have my mother as a co-sponsor, but it would be nice if I can show substantial funds as well.

I'm just not a big bank person either. I have a checking account, but no savings account. On the Affidavit of Support they ask for your savings account info. Would I just be able to put Checking account info instead?

Thanks for any advice.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I am worried about this too as all my money has gone nothing but to this visa process, visiting 4 times, engagement ring, and now I have to fly back with her so another $1500 I'll be spending, then the wedding, then AOS....My account stays below $2,000! I make more than enough money and if I was able to save that money I would have over $25,000 in my account. I'm hoping they aren't going to evaluate me on my bank account alone as it looks not the best. They have to understand people are spending a lot of their money visiting their other and doing this whole visa process. I don't know too many people that have spare $100,000 just laying around. I wouldn't take out a loan to boost your bank account if you make higher than the poverty level. I make 300% higher than the poverty level so I'm hoping this will be ok.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

If your income or the income of the co-sponsor is enough to meet the 125% poverty level you don't even need to provide your bank statements. Correction, I have heard rarely the embassy will ask for them, but the income is what matters. I had maybe $500 in the bank and I was approved.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Income is what is most important, not savings... I would NOT take out loans if you meet the income requirements!

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

This is why they like to see 6 months to a year's worth of bank statements. That way they can see if you just recently deposited a large sum of money just to get past the affidavit of support. Don't take a loan, or borrow some money from someone to pad your bank account. Money in the bank is not even required.

For those of you worried about not having enough money to show, if your income meets the requirement, you can leave all the questions about assets blank. No letter from the bank or bank statements needed. Provide your most recent tax transcript, letter from employer and most recent pay stub(s) to prove your financials.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

This will not work for one simple reason - it's a well known sham.

The US government is not stupid when it comes to this sham. The US will want to make sure that if you are using assets, then you need to document where the assets came from. You cannot borrow money for the purpose of meeting the AOS, then return it later because essentially you are claiming some else's money as your own.

The only reason to use assets is because income is low. How does a person with a low income have so much assets? It's suspicious by nature.

If the money is a gift or inheritance, then it's easy to prove it's your despite having a low income.

Money suddenly appearing that allows you to meet the poverty line is suspicious.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I am worried about this too as all my money has gone nothing but to this visa process, visiting 4 times, engagement ring, and now I have to fly back with her so another $1500 I'll be spending, then the wedding, then AOS....My account stays below $2,000! I make more than enough money and if I was able to save that money I would have over $25,000 in my account. I'm hoping they aren't going to evaluate me on my bank account alone as it looks not the best. They have to understand people are spending a lot of their money visiting their other and doing this whole visa process. I don't know too many people that have spare $100,000 just laying around. I wouldn't take out a loan to boost your bank account if you make higher than the poverty level. I make 300% higher than the poverty level so I'm hoping this will be ok.

If your annual salary is adequate, there is no reason to even include bank statements in your 134 form.

We didn't, just annual income and all was fine. If your annual income is very very close to the poverty levels, then yes you should sweat it because you should be since that level is so low, how could you two even live with such a low income? There are many more expenses beyond the K-1.

To those that are so low and so close I would suggest to wait until you get a better income, it would be better in the long term. Just MHO.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to General Immigration Discussion -- topic can apply to more than one visa type. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Not only the I-864 for the sponsor, but also can submit the I-864A for the immigrant spouse showing combined assets. Not only that, but both show equal liability in case something goes wrong. And if the immigrant spouse doesn't want to sign that I-864A, you know you are in for a hanging. Can read other sections of this board where the immigrant is hanging the US sponsor.

Filed: Timeline

I have my income tax returns for the last 2 years putting me just above the poverty level (I'm at like 21-22 thousand a year according to the taxes). My mother is a co-sponsor though and she is at least at 50 thousand a year though. I was only going to include a savings account amount, because it asks for it on the I-134, the truth is though, I don't have a savings account. I just have a checking account which is frequently getting filled and emptied. then filled, then emptied. If a substantial amount does show up all of a sudden, then I can say that is just from repayment of a loan by a friend, which is usually the truth anyway.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I have my income tax returns for the last 2 years putting me just above the poverty level (I'm at like 21-22 thousand a year according to the taxes). My mother is a co-sponsor though and she is at least at 50 thousand a year though. I was only going to include a savings account amount, because it asks for it on the I-134, the truth is though, I don't have a savings account. I just have a checking account which is frequently getting filled and emptied. then filled, then emptied. If a substantial amount does show up all of a sudden, then I can say that is just from repayment of a loan by a friend, which is usually the truth anyway.

Ok. Now, prove that your friend owes you money and had to repay it. Prove that you aren't the one taking the loan and you would make a repayment as soon as the green card is issued. The burden is on you to prove this. The US Embassy does not have to accept your assets for the AOS.

Warning you man - this is a well known sham. The US Embassy is well aware of this tactic when money suddenly appear in your account. You would need documents to prove it was not a loan. The US Embassy can reject your "loan repayment" and deny the case for fraud.

You alone meet the AOS requirements by yourself. If you need a Joint Sponsor, your mother qualifies. So why would you do anything that is consider a red flag for fraud? That doesn't make sense.

You think you are helping yourself with this "loan repayment" but in reality you are hurting yourself.

Good luck.

Edited by aaron2020

At 50 thousand a year your mother is earning well above the poverty line for 3 people. Why are you complicating your life and the USCIS's by claiming to have money you don't really have?

Even on the I-864 it clears states to only fill up a section IF you don't meet the poverty guidelines.

Keep it simple.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

ohmy.png Not a good idea. As others stated, it is not a good idea to lie, and you will have to show proof of the income. In addition, it is not required to provide banking info, if you meet income guidelines.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Can recall borrowing a couple of bucks from a buddy until payday in the military, but when I went to a bang to borrow 300 bucks from a bank, to buy a car. Was turned down, considered to be high risk, even though I would have that car as collateral.

So was just wondering how you would go to a bank, just to get the cash of any sizable amount without any collateral and apparently, not with the means to pay it back. And what are you going to tell them when they ask you for the reason you want to borrow that money?

Maybe you could get 500 bucks or so from a credit card company, what difference would that make? Then you have to pay it back at a 20% rate. Or even try a loan shark at a 50% rate, but if you don't pay it back will break your legs.

Just doesn't sound like a very practical solution in real life.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.