Rufian

Can I change my last name to a celebrity ?

46 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Peru
Timeline

Let's assume that I choose to change my name on the application for citizenship

My current name is Orlando, but I have a hispanic last name

Let's say change my last name to Bloom, then I would be Orlando Bloom like the actor

is this legal?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Names are not trademarked.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

Names are not trademarked.

but I read somewhere, that it is not allowed to change your name to impersonate a celebrity or something like

anyway, I'm only changing my last name

I need real proof, like a website or something

How about Orlando OchoCinco?

lol no

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Other options, si man:

Orlando Tony

Orlando Florida

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Let me ask you this, how many people do you think are called the same name? Lots of people. If you want to be Mr. Bloom then that is your choice. I personally don't think it's a good last name, I could only imagine that it would get incredibly old, but again, your choice. Also, to be honest if I met you and found out (however I found out) that you deliberately changed your name to a "celebrity's" name I would think you were a bit of an attention seeker and hoping to garner some popularity by having the same name. i would think it could hamper future life choices in some way.

Anyway no, it's not illegal unless, as others said, your intent was to defraud. Ugh, I can see you booking restaurant reservations and being turned away when they realised/thought they were fooled and you weren't the "real" Mr. Bloom.

Timeline

Let me ask you this, how many people do you think are called the same name? Lots of people. If you want to be Mr. Bloom then that is your choice. I personally don't think it's a good last name, I could only imagine that it would get incredibly old, but again, your choice. Also, to be honest if I met you and found out (however I found out) that you deliberately changed your name to a "celebrity's" name I would think you were a bit of an attention seeker and hoping to garner some popularity by having the same name. i would think it could hamper future life choices in some way.

Anyway no, it's not illegal unless, as others said, your intent was to defraud. Ugh, I can see you booking restaurant reservations and being turned away when they realised/thought they were fooled and you weren't the "real" Mr. Bloom.

LOL

yeah I have also thought about this

what are good last names for orlando

I wanna keep my orlando name

but I want an american last name, and have no idea what to choose

been thinking about

orlando morgan

orlando williams

orlando johnson

orlando scofield

orlando robinson

orlando miller

orlando mitchell

orlando parker

orlando evans

orlando stewart

The ones that I like the most is Orlando Robinson and Orlando Jonhson

LOL

don't know what to choose

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

LOL

yeah I have also thought about this

what are good last names for orlando

been thinking about

orlando morgan - Morgan sounds like a first name

orlando williams - reminds me of Robin williams but I still like this one BEST i think

orlando johnson - I personally wouldn't pick Johnson basically because it's also a nickname for #######. maybe it's an old school nickname but still tongue.png

orlando scofield - Isn't it "Schofield"? Maybe there's variations... i have a last name that has variations and even though it's only 6 letters long, I need to spell it EVERY TIME

orlando robinson - I personally wouldn't pick Johnson basically because it's also a nickname for #######. maybe it's an old school nickname but still tongue.png

orlando miller

orlando mitchell

orlando parker - Don't name any kids Peter tongue.png

orlando evans

orlando stewart

The ones that I like the most is Orlando Robinson and Orlando Jonhson

LOL

don't know what to choose

I like the name Orlando smile.png

I'll wrote comments next to some of your choices smile.png

I'd go with one that you like signing. That you like hearing. That when you think of someone calling you "Mr. X" you don't mind it. Think about future kids and if you'd like to be the "Miller family" or the "Evans family". I'd also try and think of people you know, people you work with, and make sure you don't accidentally choose their last name... that could get weird tongue.png

Good luck with your choices!

**Edit - Also, check your initials. I had been planning a particular name for a kid and now the initials spell another 3 letter word... so I need to decide if that's a bad thing or if she would get mocked for it (kids can be mean!) :S

Edited by VanessaTony

been thinking about

orlando morgan

orlando williams

orlando johnson

orlando scofield

orlando robinson

orlando miller

orlando mitchell

orlando parker

orlando evans

orlando stewart

Are you sure you don't simply have an inferiority complex about being Hispanic? Cause it sure sounds like it. I just hope you don't have a stereotypically Hispanic look, because it would be silly for you to have an all American name to go along with it. whistling.gif

Timeline

I like the name Orlando smile.png

I'll wrote comments next to some of your choices smile.png

I'd go with one that you like signing. That you like hearing. That when you think of someone calling you "Mr. X" you don't mind it. Think about future kids and if you'd like to be the "Miller family" or the "Evans family". I'd also try and think of people you know, people you work with, and make sure you don't accidentally choose their last name... that could get weird tongue.png

Good luck with your choices!

**Edit - Also, check your initials. I had been planning a particular name for a kid and now the initials spell another 3 letter word... so I need to decide if that's a bad thing or if she would get mocked for it (kids can be mean!) :S

What about orlando robinson? you didn't say anything about it

Timeline

Are you sure you don't simply have an inferiority complex about being Hispanic? Cause it sure sounds like it. I just hope you don't have a stereotypically Hispanic look, because it would be silly for you to have an all American name to go along with it. whistling.gif

I knew someone would say something like this, black people have names like smith (will smith?), johnson, robinson, miller, yet they are 100 millions times darker than I am. There are also many people who are mixed (not white), yet they have an american last name, due to having a white or black american father. I'm not fully white, but I have more european features than native american

since when having an american name, means being white ?

I have met several hispanic looking people, who have american last names, even in my own country Peru. I have also met mixed looking people (not white at all, even less european looking than I am) yet they have american last names

Isn't that the reason why they offer the option to change your name? in fact, in the naturalizarion n-400 guide, says that the option to change your name is offered for people who want to adopt a more americanized name

Edited by Rufian

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

Isn't that the reason why they offer the option to change your name? in fact, in the naturalizarion n-400 guide, says that the option to change your name is offered for people who want to adopt a more americanized name

This normally means that if your name is Šimić, you might wanna change it to Simic. ;) I am 100% white, my last name is Spanish, but Americanized (it should be Gutiérrez, but it is Gutierrez). The fact that my last name does not match my skin tone should not mean anything to anyone (in my opinion).

Anyway, whatever reason you have, you can change your name without justifying it to us or anyone else. Personally, I like Frost as last name. My friend uses it. It is not common, it is easy to read/spell/type on any keyboard and it has a nice ring to it.

Good luck with picking!

flying.gif 2006 - met online  | 2008 - met IRL  | 2011 - engagement  | 2012 - wedding | 2013 - IR-1 | 2014 - child | 2015 - POE | 2018 - N-400  |  2019 - USC 

Check my About me for the full IR-1 or N-400 timeline.

Timeline

Yeah i have white latino friends and they have hispanic last name, is nothinf new to me, and it doesnt mean anything, latino is not a race

I just want an american last name, unfortunatly some ignorant people think that changing your name to an american, then it means that you are trying to be white, as if americans were the only white people in the world and as if white people were the only ones with english name

I already have an english name anyway, americans call me by my english name orlando and obviously have no problem pronounce it, does that im less latino to them? does that mean im less latino because i dont have a name like juan or pedro? No lmao

Edited by Rufian

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.