Ag-n-Harlan

emergency advice -stolen bag at airport with visa packet

55 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I dont think I agree with you. When I came here with my k1 the first thing the officer asked me when he saw my k1 visa, was my package. They have define procedure for every kind of visa. I've never heard of someone entering the country with a k1 visa without her package. Is SO important that if you open your package before arriving to the POE you can get deported or not allow to enter to the States (when I went to my k1 interview the CO explained the importance of taking care well of my lk1 package and the things that might happen if I lose it or opened it). You shouldn't advice him that

I think they may make an exception in this case because when theft is involved it is often completely out of the person's power, even if they were to have it in their pocket it can still be taken. They should be able to generate a new packet for an exceptional case like this but it may take some time to process it.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

When I got here with my K-1, I had a layover in Germany and the airline (Lufthansa) asked me if I had my packet with me, in my carry-on luggage. They even wanted to see it (without opening it for sure) to make sure that was it. I guess some airlines are more aware of procedures than others.

Anyway, I hope the OP's case will be resolved. Good luck!

Edited by didopage

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

She is en route to LAX. Embassy, uscis, and cbp seem positive she will be able to at least enter on a parole status but until she's through nothing is definite. Berlin officials were being very helpful but until she gets there we will not know. Will up date with status when we find out

you all for your advice and well wishes

Anyone reading this PLEASE note, the OP has sought advice from the embassy, USCIS and CBP. This will most likely mean they have a notation in their file or will have advised her POE of the situation and they will be aware of it.

OP - Did they advise what you are to do come time for AOS? Are they sending something for her? Are you able to proceed with AOS without her A file?

Edited by VanessaTony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I'm really sorry to hear that happened. That's the kind of nightmare we all fear. What I love about Ireland is the US authorities do the visa check and open the packet in Ireland so that when you get to the US you don't have to show anyone a passport or visa because you already entered the US in Ireland. They should do that in more countries and then you won't have to worry about the visa and packet your carrying until you get there.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm really sorry to hear that happened. That's the kind of nightmare we all fear. What I love about Ireland is the US authorities do the visa check and open the packet in Ireland so that when you get to the US you don't have to show anyone a passport or visa because you already entered the US in Ireland. They should do that in more countries and then you won't have to worry about the visa and packet your carrying until you get there.

that sounds so much easier! i really hope 3.5hrs at LAX is enough for me to get through... i arrive at 6.30am (really busy time for arrivals from asia pacific. last time it took 3hrs to get to the customs checkpoint from the plane...).

hope the OPs situation is able to be resolved as soon as possible!

IR-1/CR-1

USCIS
Department of Homeland Security - 61 days
12/27/2012: Sent I-130 to Chicago Lockbox
12/31/2012: Petition Received by USCIS
01/02/2013: NOA1
03/02/2013: NOA2
03/04/2013: Touch

NVC

Department of State - 36 days
03/07/2013: NVC received
03/25/2013: IIN/Case number
03/25/2013: DS-3032 Received via email (Accepted: 04/02/2013)
03/25/2013: AOS Bill (Payment Posted: 03/26/2013)
03/28/2013: AOS Packet Sent (Received by NVC: 03/29/2013)
04/04/2013: IV Bill (Payment Posted: 04/05/2013)
04/07/2013: IV Packet Sent (Received by NVC: 04/11/2013)
04/30/2013: Case Complete

US Consulate Sydney

Department of State - 49 days
05/02/2013: Embassy received
04/17/2013: Medical (Result: Passed)
04/30/2013: Interview Letter Received
06/18/2013: Interview (Result: Approved )

06/19/2013: Visa Issued & Printed
06/20/2013: Visa in hand

POE

Los Angeles, CA
08/02/2013: Entered US as a LPR

ROC

Louisville, KY

07/13/2015: Filed ROC petition with USCIS

07/20/2015: NOA received from USCIS

08/25/2015: Biometrics appointment

Money spent to date: $3438.00

Filed: Timeline

Long story short with more detail to come after we've spent some quality time~

She was given a 1 month parole visa and passport was surrendered. We have until this time to get the appropriate paper work gathered and submitted. They said lost/stolen/damaged/etc happens fairly frequently overall - it's still better to do it the 'right' way but they do have a contingency plan. Don't rely on it, but it's there.

Thanks to everyone for the support, and we definitely took a chance but it paid off - as I get the details of what needs to be gathered and submitted I will add to the post.

Most excellent news.

You made my evening.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

Fantastic for you guys! At least she is with you, everything else is fixable!

CR1 Visa

USCIS
08/13/2013 -- I130 Sent
08/14/2013 -- I130 NOA1 (email)

02/20/2014 -- I130 NOA2 (189 days - email)

NVC

02-28-2014 -- NVC received
04-03-2014 -- NVC case number assigned

05-22-2014 -- Case completed!!!!!!!
05-30-2014 -- Interview scheduled for July 16th 2014 08:30am

05-31-2014 -- Interview Letter received
Embassy
06-24-2014 -- Medical

07-16-2014 -- Interview Approved!!!!!
07-21-2014 -- Visa in hand
09-24-2014 -- POE

ROC
09-09-2016 -- I-751 sent
09-17-2016 -- NOA received

10-14-2016 -- Biometric appointment

08-07-2017 -- New card ordered
08-10-2017 -- New card mailed ( still no approval letter)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

woohoo! congratulations! :)

IR-1/CR-1

USCIS
Department of Homeland Security - 61 days
12/27/2012: Sent I-130 to Chicago Lockbox
12/31/2012: Petition Received by USCIS
01/02/2013: NOA1
03/02/2013: NOA2
03/04/2013: Touch

NVC

Department of State - 36 days
03/07/2013: NVC received
03/25/2013: IIN/Case number
03/25/2013: DS-3032 Received via email (Accepted: 04/02/2013)
03/25/2013: AOS Bill (Payment Posted: 03/26/2013)
03/28/2013: AOS Packet Sent (Received by NVC: 03/29/2013)
04/04/2013: IV Bill (Payment Posted: 04/05/2013)
04/07/2013: IV Packet Sent (Received by NVC: 04/11/2013)
04/30/2013: Case Complete

US Consulate Sydney

Department of State - 49 days
05/02/2013: Embassy received
04/17/2013: Medical (Result: Passed)
04/30/2013: Interview Letter Received
06/18/2013: Interview (Result: Approved )

06/19/2013: Visa Issued & Printed
06/20/2013: Visa in hand

POE

Los Angeles, CA
08/02/2013: Entered US as a LPR

ROC

Louisville, KY

07/13/2015: Filed ROC petition with USCIS

07/20/2015: NOA received from USCIS

08/25/2015: Biometrics appointment

Money spent to date: $3438.00

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

She was given a 1 month parole visa and passport was surrendered. We have until this time to get the appropriate paper work gathered and submitted. They said lost/stolen/damaged/etc happens fairly frequently overall - it's still better to do it the 'right' way but they do have a contingency plan. Don't rely on it, but it's there.

Thanks to everyone for the support, and we definitely took a chance but it paid off - as I get the details of what needs to be gathered and submitted I will add to the post.

Good news! I hope it is not too much of a hassle to get the documents they want.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

cool.

but uncool about the passport being surrendered. she make copies or scans of bio page prior to getting on plane, and emailing to you ?

I suggest getting married immediately then filing for adjustment of status .

Howeverr - did CBP give you a path for fixing this? if so, what is it ?

it's going to be hard to get a SSN without showing the K-1 visa at the SSA office.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

cool.

but uncool about the passport being surrendered. she make copies or scans of bio page prior to getting on plane, and emailing to you ?

it's going to be hard to get a SSN without showing the K-1 visa at the SSA office.

Taking the passport is definitely a bit of an uhoh. Without that ID, it might be difficult to even get married. Hope they have a secondary form of ID to get their marriage licence that'll work.

What a nightmare. I can't even imagine how that must feel. I had my passport stolen once and that was bad enough, but I'd have gone clear out of my mind if that had happened with my visa package. Good job OP and almost-wife on handling it so well and calmly!

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

When you get a chance, could you also explain what happened at the POE? Did they know who she was (as in, do you think they were notified/her file flagged)?

Did they tell you to AOS/marry now or did they tell you to wait until you gathered the documents? Or did they not mention anything about that at all?

Do you know if she has actually entered as a K1? Because 1 month parole does not indicate K1 so I would NOT be getting married in this status (lest it void the K1).

I get the feeling she was paroled to help you gather the documents, and when she goes back in 1 month with the documents and gets her passport THAT'S when they'll admit her as a K1 with her 90 days to get married etc. Could you confirm/deny when you know?

Thanks and great new you guys are at least together going through this!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

She was simply paroled into the US. I do not believe she can show her K-1 for anything as of yet anyway, hence one of the reasons they kept her passport. She was given a month to get the required documents, so I believe once they get the documentation they are seeking, then she will be entered into the US and the system using her K-1 visa and get her passport back. At that time she would be able to continue on as if she had entered on the K-1 to begin with.. file for SSN, get married, apply for AOS.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

cool.

I completely disagree. I don't believe she has been admitted as a K1 (no 90 days and they kept her passport) so I would NOT be getting married in this status. I would wait until the month is up and they get their passport.

What if they readmit her as a K1 in a month and she's already married? She can't be admitted as a K1 if she's already married so no, I advise the OP to wait on all that stuff.

Plus, with the A file stolen, they have to recreate it. It could cause serious delays (worse than normal) if all that side is not in line before they file.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.