the_nebula

Entering US with K-1 Visa and round-trip ticket

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Hey, I was just looking at ticket prices for flights as I will be buying a plane ticket for my fiancee soon since she has been issued her k-1 visa, and I've noticed how much cheaper round trip tickets are than one way tickets... which doesn't make much sense to me. I mean, in some cases A THOUSAND dollars cheaper for round trip over one way. If I get her a round trip ticket (but she'll just "miss" her flight back :P) will immigration have a problem with it when she is entering the country with a k-1 visa? Will they question her about it and think it strange? Anyone have any experience with this?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

No, don't worry at all! Thousand of people get here to the US with round trip tickets cause most of the times is a lot of cheapier. Actually so far I know they never ask you that kind of things. In my case (also a k1) I got here with a one way trip ticket just because I found a great deal (only $200) VEnezuela/Miami.

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I bought a round trip ticket too. I fly with American Airlines, and like you said, its 500-1000 dollars cheaper!

No questions were asked at POE (I came in 8 days ago).

I Intent to reschedule my flight for some time next year, as i think you can push it for up to a year. But, your always going to have a spare ticket.....HA!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Greece
Timeline

i don;t think so.they won't even ask..here is another thread about it. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/252245-return-roundtrip-ticket-for-k1-visa/ :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

There was a case about 2 years back where someone entered on the RT ticket and they had their AOS interview after the return on the ticket and the airlines hadn't correctly updated their manifest. The man almost got denied for "leaving without AP" be very sure you cancel that return trip or move it out

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

If you have sufficient frequent flier miles one-way tickets are half of a round trip ticket. Used a one way FF ticket for Jamnan when whe came back to the states. You may need to be flexible about when you travel because FF seats are limited on each flight.

Steve from

Jamnan_n_steve

Hey, I was just looking at ticket prices for flights as I will be buying a plane ticket for my fiancee soon since she has been issued her k-1 visa, and I've noticed how much cheaper round trip tickets are than one way tickets... which doesn't make much sense to me. I mean, in some cases A THOUSAND dollars cheaper for round trip over one way. If I get her a round trip ticket (but she'll just "miss" her flight back tongue.png) will immigration have a problem with it when she is entering the country with a k-1 visa? Will they question her about it and think it strange? Anyone have any experience with this?

A RT is not a problem, you might want to cancel the return, not just forget about it. Also, check British Airways and American; when my now wife traveled, I got a British Airways Warsaw-London-Houston for under 200 one way (I used some of the miles I had with them.

Is less $$ by 2nd week of September, we timed things so she would be here after the real heat of the Summer was going down, and at same time, lower cost. Tue, Wed is usually less expensive.

As for her things, 2 suitcases, everything else by post, much cheaper. You would have to wait some but in general 2-3 weeks per package. We used boxes that are about 14-15" obtained fomr the post office in Poland, not too bog not to small. Each one arrived with no problems, didn't send them all at once, but about 1-2 every week.

ALso, look in European web sites for flights. For reason beyond my understanding, the fares are lower, sometimes by hundreds...Check various departure ports, Paris, London, Amsterdam, even Frankfurt; fares change by airline and departure city very dramatically at times. Of course, that might change port of entry in the US, but I'm talking savings of hundreds here.

Hey I work for an airline so thought id give my 2 cents! The reason a return ticket is cheaper is because nearly all airline tickets require a Saturday night stay in the itinerary. If there is no Saturday night stay i.e a one-way flight the ticket rules have to be waived and it pushes the ticket up to a fully flexible fare.

Its a way for airlines to make money on business travellers who rarely stay a Saturday night stay and will just get their companies to pay the high cost of the ticket.

As above poster said theres no problem in No Showing the return flight though u should check the rules of the ticket as some tickets will foreit if u no show on them. And the remaining sector will be lost. (usually the case with cheaper lower flexible fares so make sure u check).

Alternatively some tickets will allow u to change the date for a fee and if the new date u pick is mroe expensive there may be a fare difference on top of that

Hope this helps

Our Story AoS
[March 2012] Met online on Christian Mingle [November 27th 2013] AoS sent
[June 25th 2012] Met in Person in London!
[August 2012] Steve visits me again in the Uk for our second meeting for just one weekend! [March 6th 2014] AoS Interview - Passed
[september 2012] My first trip to America to visit the love of my life
[November 2012] I travel to America for my first ever thanksgiving with Steves family!
[December 2012] Steve comes to the Uk to spend xmas with my family!
( heart.gif February 15th 2013 heart.gif ) He pops the question in Kensington, London...and I say yes!

K1

[January 15th 2013) I-129f SENT!
[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)
[July 18th 2013] Case forwarded to NVC

[July 26th 2013] We call DoS and are finally given our case # - I book medical immediatly

[July 29th 2013] Case forwarded to US Embassy, London
[August 8th 2013] Packet 3 sent (before received)

[August 9th 2013] Packet 3 received
[August 13th 2013] Medical

[August 16th 2013] CEAC updates - London logs my medical results

[August 20th 2013] - CEAC update - London logs my packet 3

[August 23rd 2013] I call DoS and they tell me my interview date, (2 weeks since I sent ds-2001)

[August 27th 2013 CEAC update - London dispatches packet 4]

[August 29th 2013] Packet 4 received
[september 24th 2013] Interview -
Refused due to passport and birth certificate condition

[september 26th 2013] Emergency appt at HM Passport Office London - New Passport and Birth Certificate in hand
[september 30th 2013] DX collects passport and birth certificate

[October 3rd] - Docs delivered to Embassy

[October 10th] - London Approves and Issues our Visa!!

[October 16th 2013] 4.00pm - Visa in my hand, 11pm POE -Newark

[October 27th 2013] Wedding wub.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Hey I work for an airline so thought id give my 2 cents! The reason a return ticket is cheaper is because nearly all airline tickets require a Saturday night stay in the itinerary. If there is no Saturday night stay i.e a one-way flight the ticket rules have to be waived and it pushes the ticket up to a fully flexible fare.

Its a way for airlines to make money on business travellers who rarely stay a Saturday night stay and will just get their companies to pay the high cost of the ticket.

As above poster said theres no problem in No Showing the return flight though u should check the rules of the ticket as some tickets will foreit if u no show on them. And the remaining sector will be lost. (usually the case with cheaper lower flexible fares so make sure u check).

Alternatively some tickets will allow u to change the date for a fee and if the new date u pick is mroe expensive there may be a fare difference on top of that

Hope this helps

"u should check the rules of the ticket as some tickets will foreit if u no show on them"

What do you mean? Did you mean "force it"? I don't understand... Would there be a fee involved if she didn't show?

I meant forfeit :) as in the rest of the ticket will be useless. You dont get charged for no showing only if u wanted to rebook this flight at a later date youd have a change fee to pay

Our Story AoS
[March 2012] Met online on Christian Mingle [November 27th 2013] AoS sent
[June 25th 2012] Met in Person in London!
[August 2012] Steve visits me again in the Uk for our second meeting for just one weekend! [March 6th 2014] AoS Interview - Passed
[september 2012] My first trip to America to visit the love of my life
[November 2012] I travel to America for my first ever thanksgiving with Steves family!
[December 2012] Steve comes to the Uk to spend xmas with my family!
( heart.gif February 15th 2013 heart.gif ) He pops the question in Kensington, London...and I say yes!

K1

[January 15th 2013) I-129f SENT!
[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)
[July 18th 2013] Case forwarded to NVC

[July 26th 2013] We call DoS and are finally given our case # - I book medical immediatly

[July 29th 2013] Case forwarded to US Embassy, London
[August 8th 2013] Packet 3 sent (before received)

[August 9th 2013] Packet 3 received
[August 13th 2013] Medical

[August 16th 2013] CEAC updates - London logs my medical results

[August 20th 2013] - CEAC update - London logs my packet 3

[August 23rd 2013] I call DoS and they tell me my interview date, (2 weeks since I sent ds-2001)

[August 27th 2013 CEAC update - London dispatches packet 4]

[August 29th 2013] Packet 4 received
[september 24th 2013] Interview -
Refused due to passport and birth certificate condition

[september 26th 2013] Emergency appt at HM Passport Office London - New Passport and Birth Certificate in hand
[september 30th 2013] DX collects passport and birth certificate

[October 3rd] - Docs delivered to Embassy

[October 10th] - London Approves and Issues our Visa!!

[October 16th 2013] 4.00pm - Visa in my hand, 11pm POE -Newark

[October 27th 2013] Wedding wub.png

• 5 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Sorry, I know this is a very old thread.  Are the responses here still accurate?

My fiancee and I received NOA2 this week for her K-1 visa.  She would be traveling to the US from Singapore with her family for the wedding.  Their travel agent told them that a round trip ticket is the same price as a one way ticket.  The rest of her family will need round trip tickets, so when they bought hers they got her a round trip ticket with a return date about 6 months after the wedding.  I realize she would need Advance Parole to be able to leave the country.  She does plan to go back to Singapore periodically after moving here to spend time with her family.

Is the fact that she has a return ticket going to cause trouble now at either her interview or at port of entry?

Edit: looks like it's no problem.  I saw the answer here (should have looked further down Google's search results list) and can't delete my post, so I'll just link to this one.

Edited by microcebus
Found the answer to my question and linked to it

June 2016: We started writing to each other

June-July 2017: Met in person in the US for our first anniversary

December 2017 - January 2018: Met again in the US and got engaged

01/09/2018: I-129F sent to the USCIS Dallas Lockbox via FedEx

01/16/2018: Received NOA1 (NOA1 notice date: 01/11/2018)

June-July 2018: Met in person in Singapore and Australia for our second anniversary

08/03/2018: Notice date on our NOA2 (updated in USCIS's new website on August 6)

08/15/2018: Our case reached NVC

08/22/2018: Received NVC case number

09/04/2018: Our package left NVC (arrived 9/11, and she sent packet 3 that day)

09/20/2018: Received packet 4; scheduled interview

10/30/2018: Interview - told that we're approved!  Now waiting to receive the visa...
11/27/2018: Port of Entry at BWI

12/1/2018: Our wedding!

12/8/2018: Filed AoS on the way to our honeymoon (12/8-15/2018)
6/~7/2019: EAD and AP approved
09/25/2019: AOS interview in Orlando -- approval and green card!

Next step, June 2019: Filing I-751

Note: My wife is a Singaporean.  She moved to Australia before we met and got permanent residency there.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The important thing to remember (and difficult, amidst the whirl of arrival) is to cancel the return portion.  Heed what NigeriaorBust posted above!

-------

Thread from 2013 is now closed to further comment.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.