A + M

Return / Roundtrip ticket for K1 visa

22 posts in this topic

I' m curious. :blink: While checking out the plane tickets I realized the return / roundtrip ones are way cheaper than the one - way ones. As I wanna save money on it ( and on some one can save up to 500 euros :blink: ) I was wondering if this can cause any problems at POE. People entering USA on a K1 visa shouldn' t have a roundtrip ticket anyway so do the officers there even ask or are we all supposed to say something ? Or it doesn' t really matter what kind of a plane ticket one has ? :blink:

Thanks ! :blush:

as1cHpz0g410600MzAwNzg3OWx8MjM3NjYxc3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I' m curious. :blink: While checking out the plane tickets I realized the return / roundtrip ones are way cheaper than the one - way ones. As I wanna save money on it ( and on some one can save up to 500 euros :blink: ) I was wondering if this can cause any problems at POE. People entering USA on a K1 visa shouldn' t have a roundtrip ticket anyway so do the officers there even ask or are we all supposed to say something ? Or it doesn' t really matter what kind of a plane ticket one has ? :blink:

Many people do this. It is a little bit of a problem with the airline so you should not do it often using the same airline. The POE inspectors don't care. As a matter of fact, it is good to have.

Good luck.

Naturalization N-400

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It is not a problem. Basically she would use the first half of the ticket and never check in for the second half of the ticket - and yes, it is interesting that round trip tickets are often cheaper than one way. You can be economical in this case without a problem. If anyone asks about it, just explain that it cost less doing it this way - they'll understand!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

It does not matter to Immigration. Buy whatever ticket is most cost beneficial to you. It is not an issue with Immigration as long as the Beneficiary has the correct documents when they return to the US.

Fernanda's Timeline

K-1

June 2, 2006 - Mailed K1 Petition

Jun 28, 2006 - NOA1

Oct 05, 2006 - NOA2 - APPROVED after 122 days

Dec 05, 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Consulate

Dec 11, 2006 - Medical Examination in Belo Horizonte

Jan 10, 2007 - Returned Packet #3 to Consulate (SEDEX-10)

Mar 13, 2007 - INTERVIEW SUCCESS! We have our K-1 VISA !!

POE & Texas Wedding

Mar 27, 2007 - POE Houston, TX. No questions. Gone in 10 minutes.

Mar 28, 2007 - Marriage License app

April 4, 2007 - Our Wedding Day!

April 12, 2007 - Apply for SS card with married name

April 20, 2007 - Received SS card

AOS

June 4, 2007 - Mailed AOS

June 6, 2007 - USCIS received

June 11, 2007 - NOA1 for I-485

July 18, 2007 - Biometrics completed

July 20, 2007 - Case transferred from MSC to CSC

July 31, 2007 - AOS Approved - 57 days - Without an Interview!

Aug 06, 2007 - Received Green Card in the mail today!

Jan 8, 2009 @ 8:18PM - Our son was born tonight !!

I-751 - Remove Conditions

July 11, 2009 - Certified Mail to VSC I-751 Package

July 14, 2009 - Check cleared bank

July 20, 2009 - NOA1 & 1 yr extension - Receipt date is July 14. Case# assigned

Sept 1, 2009 - Biometrics completed

Nov 25, 2009 - I-751 is approved. No Interview.

Dec 14, 2009 - 10yr Green Card arrived !

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

It is not a problem. Basically she would use the first half of the ticket and never check in for the second half of the ticket - and yes, it is interesting that round trip tickets are often cheaper than one way. You can be economical in this case without a problem. If anyone asks about it, just explain that it cost less doing it this way - they'll understand!

See bold above. It is critical that she use the first half of the ticket. Airlines are used to this and do not care a bit how often it happens. It's not a problem at the POE either. You can even make the return date far in the future so that the ticket might actually get used.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

yea...i was wondering that too...one way tickets are way more expensive than return ones...im glad I can get a return one and not worry about what they might say at POE.

K1 JOURNEY
Sent I 129 F: Mid January 2010, they received it January 20th
Interview: June 21st...K1 VISA APPROVED
POE in MCO: July 22nd 2010

AOS JOURNEY
Sent AOS, EAD, AP: November 8th 2010
Delivered: November 10th
Check cashed, NOA1s received in text and email: November 16th
Touch: November 19th
Biometrics in Orlando: December 16th
Contacted congressman's office with inquiry to expedite AP: January 12th 2011
EAD approved: January 13th
EAD received: not sure, I was overseas, but I know it arrived between January 24th and 28th
AP approved - no update on USCIS; I was notified of approval by Congressman: January 13th
AP received: January 21st
Started job hunting: February 11th
Interview: March 7th @ 2.35 pm - GC APPROVED!
Received GC in mail: March 14th
ROC: December 8th 2012

ROC JOURNEY
Sent I - 751 packet: February 4th 2013
Packet delivered: Feb 6th
Check cashed: Feb 11th
NOA1 (dated 2/7/13) received: Feb 12th
Biometric appointment: March 14th

RFE dated July 15th received

RFE reply sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center: Oct 9th

GC approved, letter dated Oct 30th

h5m17p.png

yea...i was wondering that too...one way tickets are way more expensive than return ones...im glad I can get a return one and not worry about what they might say at POE.

Špela, how you usually fly to USA ? From where and what airline ?

Timeline

i usually fly from Brnik (LJU) or Trst (TRS)...I dont really care which airline is, I always take the cheapest, even though Lufthansa is far my favourite (you get your own TV and it makes time go by a little bit faster). Once i travelled with United and that was a pain. The flight took forever, because there were only a couple TV's in the airplane).

K1 JOURNEY

AOS JOURNEY
EAD received: not sure, I was overseas, but I know it arrived between January 24th and 28th
AP approved - no update on USCIS; I was notified of approval by Congressman: January 13th

ROC JOURNEY

h5m17p.png

As stated before, it doesn't matter if the ticket is one-way or round-trip. With a one way ticket, the airline may want to see a valid visa allowing long(er) term stay. (I'm thinking something other than a tourist visa.) When my husband came he had a one-way ticket and they asked to see his visa when he was checking in for his flight.

Basically, you buy the ticket that is best for you and your pocketbook. :)

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

I don't think POE would have anything to say, about the type of ticket you arrive on if you are coming with an immigrant (IR/CR) or immigrant-intent (K1) visa. You're already an intending immigrant by having said visa...so a return ticket is/would be a moot point. I don't think I've ever heard of someone with such a visa having problems at POE because they did not have a round-trip ticket.

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

i usually fly from Brnik (LJU) or Trst (TRS)...I dont really care which airline is, I always take the cheapest, even though Lufthansa is far my favourite (you get your own TV and it makes time go by a little bit faster). Once i travelled with United and that was a pain. The flight took forever, because there were only a couple TV's in the airplane).

I usually fly out of Milan. Are there direct / in - direct flights from LJ and TS ? I' m not well informed about those.

As stated before, it doesn't matter if the ticket is one-way or round-trip. With a one way ticket, the airline may want to see a valid visa allowing long(er) term stay. (I'm thinking something other than a tourist visa.) When my husband came he had a one-way ticket and they asked to see his visa when he was checking in for his flight.

Basically, you buy the ticket that is best for you and your pocketbook. :)

Thank you !

You could arrive on a kayak after rowing across the ocean and they wont care as long as your paperwork is in order at the POE, there wont be any problems. Good luck with the POE and have a wonderful life together in the US!

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

You could arrive on a kayak after rowing across the ocean and they wont care as long as your paperwork is in order at the POE, there wont be any problems. Good luck with the POE and have a wonderful life together in the US!

You are lovely. Thank you for your kind wishes. :)

Timeline

no, there are no direct flights from TRS or LJU. I always have 2 layovers...i dont mind...at least i get to strech my legs. Milan...I never thought of that option. And Venice Marco Polo might have some direct flights over seas too

K1 JOURNEY

AOS JOURNEY

ROC JOURNEY

h5m17p.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.