*C&C*

Wedding venue booked - need visa within 10 weeks of NOA2. Help!

48 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Kind VisaJourney friends, here's our situation:

If at all possible, we want to get married in Columbus, Ohio on August 9th. (The venue's booked; all the key people from both families can be there for that date; some have already booked tickets; we've been praying for that date for a long time).

We received our NOA 2 on 15th May.

If we can get the visa granted by the end of July, it would be a dream come true.

Mainly we want to know:

How can we maximise our chances of making this happen in time??

Also, is this so risky, that we should cancel this wedding date right now?

Thank you everyone :-)

Christian and Cammy

(Sydney & Columbus)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I wont make any wedding plans until my fiance has the visa in her hand. You never know how long the embassy is going to take to process but I doubt they will get it all done in less then 10 weeks

Edited by ConGau1981

Your friendly neighborhood post office expert

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

You still have two months ...just pray harder that everything will be fine...though nothing is certain when it comes to visa applications, just make sure that you have on hand all the necessary docs for packet 3 so that it could save time, get ready for the next step...wishin you all the best of luck...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Did you send your fiance the I-134 and your supporting docs? Having as many forms done ahead of time will help you but it wont make NVC or the embassy move faster

Your friendly neighborhood post office expert

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I wouldn't put down any non-refundable deposits until you have the visa in hand. You will probably be fine - but there is no guarantee. We got our NOA2 Mid April last year and it took almost a month for it to get thru NVC and sent on to the consulate and then another 6 weeks to get an interview scheduled. Then a couple of days after the approval to receive the visa. ( each consulate is different on that). My fiance got a flight here within a week of getting the visa in hand.. So we got our NOA2 in mid april and my fiance arrived here July 5th. Almost 3 months and we didn;t have any delays.

It's different for each embassy so please don't put any money down that you can't get back. Good luck to you guys I hope it all goes well for you!

K1 Visa                                                                 Adjustment of Status                                                             ROC

Service Center : California Service Center                        CIS Office : Kansas City MO Service Center                           California Service Center

Consulate : Bucharest, Romania

I-129F Sent : 2011-11-18                                 Date Filed : 2012-09-04 Date                            Filed: 2015-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-11-23                                      NOA Date : 2012-09-06                                                             NOA1 Date: 2015-05-28

I-129F RFE(s) : none                                              RFE(s) : NONE                                              RFE(s): NONE

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-04-12                                                 Bio. Appt. : 2012-10-03                                                              BIO. Appt.: 2015-09-15

NVC Received : 2012-04-26

NVC Left : 2012-05-10                                           EAD/AP Approved : 2012-11-08                             ROC APPROVED:2015-10-26      

Consulate Received : 2012-05-14                               EAD/AP Card Received : 2012-11-17                         Green card Received: 2015-11-04    

Packet 3 Received : 2012-05-17                                          Green card Approved : 2013-07-08                        NO INTERVIEW

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-05-20                                                    NO INTERVIEW

Interview Date : 2012-06-26                                                 Green Card Received : 2013-07-15

Interview Result : Approved                                                 

Visa Received : 2012-06-26                                                   

US Entry : 2012-07-05

Marriage : 2012-08-24

N-400 Naturalization:

04/25/2016 N-400 sent to USCIS AZ courier address thru FedEx

05/04/2106 NOA I-797 Receipt Notice Date
05/27/2016 Fingerprints Bio-metrics appointment date
06/08/2016 E-notification of interview scheduling
06/13/2016 Received official letter regarding interview
07/18/2016 Date of Interview
08/11/2016 Date Oath Ceremony
Field Office: Kansas City, MO

event.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Brave...very Brave.

There are too many variables that you can't control in this situation. It took me three months from NOA2 to my interview date. THEN I had to wait for the Visa to be posted to me - This was when they were processing interviews quickly. I do know earlier this year, people were having issues with getting in contact with the Consulate and having interviews scheduled as quick as they were end of last year.

The Consulate will send you an email with Packet 3. All this is is a Word Doc summarising instructions from the below link. Read ahead and start working on those documents. Have your fiance send over the I-134 (Affidavit of Support) with original signatures and whatever supporting documents you need.

To get the ball rolling, I would start off with your Police Certificate - this can take anywhere from 3 - 6 weeks depending on what state you are in.

Call NVC for your Case Number It should look something like this SYD12345678

With the above number, you are then able to book your medical. (Again this is dependent on the state you are in - my doctor in Brisbane wouldn't allow me to book until I confirmed I had the number)

Best of Luck

Brave...very Brave.

There are too many variables that you can't control in this situation. It took me three months from NOA2 to my interview date. THEN I had to wait for the Visa to be posted to me - This was when they were processing interviews quickly. I do know earlier this year, people were having issues with getting in contact with the Consulate and having interviews scheduled as quick as they were end of last year.

The Consulate will send you an email with Packet 3. All this is is a Word Doc summarising instructions from the below link. Read ahead and start working on those documents. Have your fiance send over the I-134 (Affidavit of Support) with original signatures and whatever supporting documents you need.

To get the ball rolling, I would start off with your Police Certificate - this can take anywhere from 3 - 6 weeks depending on what state you are in.

Call NVC for your Case Number It should look something like this SYD12345678

With the above number, you are then able to book your medical. (Again this is dependent on the state you are in - my doctor in Brisbane wouldn't allow me to book until I confirmed I had the number)

Best of Luck

Sorry forgot to put in the link.

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/fiance_niv_appl.html

14 Jan 2011 - Fiance sent me a message on a dating website

14 Jan 2011 - I added him on Facebook

26 Jan 2011 - Had a 5 hour long conversation that changed my life!

05 Feb 2011 - We decided to be an exclusive relationship

29 Jun 2011 - We met for the first time. It was exactly as I knew it would be!

14 Jul 2011 - He had to leave to go back to USA

17 Jul 2011 - Booked flights for me to go to USA for 3 months on VWP

29 Nov 2011 - Arrived in USA

25 Dec 2011 - HE PROPOSED!

21 Feb 2012 - Left USA for Australia

K1 Visa Process

16 Apr 2012 - NOA1

08 Aug 2012 - RFE

11 Sep 2012 - CSC received RFE documentation

11 Sep 2012 - Did Police Clearance

18 Sep 2012 - NOA 2

26 Sep 2012 - NVC sent case to consulate

16 Oct 2012 - Packet 3 received

18 Oct 2012 - Sent DS-230 off to Sydney Consulate

01 Nov 2012 - Medical completed

07 Nov 2012 - Packet 3 Sent to Consulate

08 Nov 2012 - Packet 3 Delivered

15 Nov 2012 - Packet 4 Received

18 Dec 2012 - Interview APPROVED!

28 Dec 2012 - Entered USA POE:- LAX

09 Jan 2013 - Married

Timeline

Yeah very brave, i sent my packet 3 info into the Sydney consulate 3 weeks ago and still haven't received my interview date....and I'd imagine the interview date will be around 7-8 weeks after that.

But in saying that who knows....there is no order on how applicants are processed it seems, some people get approved quickly!

I agree, have your fiancé send the I-134 NOW!

Also you will need your case # to book your medical in Sydney...and this might take awhile to get an appointment.

Goodluck

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I'd let them know when you return your packet 3 you have a wedding planned, it may or may not help speed it up, but it is on Sydney's list of reasons to need an urgent interview. There was at least one person from this site that got their interview 5 days from their packet 4 date.

AOS+EAD Sent 8-9-13

AOS+EAD Received 8-13-13

EAD NOA1 8-13-13

AOS NOA1 8-15-13

AOS+EAD Biometrics 9-17-2013, Walk-In 8-29-2013

EAD Approved 10-15-13

AOS Interview 12-18-13

E-REQUEST 2-3-14

INFOPASS Appointment 2-12-14

AOS Approved 2-24-2014

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Kind VisaJourney friends, here's our situation:

If at all possible, we want to get married in Columbus, Ohio on August 9th. (The venue's booked; all the key people from both families can be there for that date; some have already booked tickets; we've been praying for that date for a long time).

Keep Praying

We received our NOA 2 on 15th May.

If we can get the visa granted by the end of July, it would be a dream come true.

Keep Praying

Mainly we want to know:

How can we maximise our chances of making this happen in time??

Keep Praying

Also, is this so risky, that we should cancel this wedding date right now?

Probably. Do homework on how quicklyl once NVC sends case to Embassy, that interviews are scheduled. Figure about three weeks at NVC and then the timing for your Embassy. That is the better estimate of timing. If the new math doesn't add up to your desired date, then resked.

Thank you everyone :-)

Christian and Cammy

(Sydney & Columbus)

I'd let them know when you return your packet 3 you have a wedding planned, it may or may not help speed it up, but it is on Sydney's list of reasons to need an urgent interview. There was at least one person from this site that got their interview 5 days from their packet 4 date.

That would be foolhardy advice, to make an assumption of approval at the Embassy.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

Your timing is tight, so you need to make sure you have everthing ready to go, PRIOR to receiving the requests.

As NOA2 -> Packet 3 received by you is 2 to 3 weeks, you may be able to schedule your medical now.

In Melbourne I was not required to have the "Alien (Case) Number" (SYD 2013 NNN NNN) to schedule the appointment, but you need to know it at the actual medical to fill out forms. The NVC assign this, and your fiancee may be able to get it off them by phone, prior to the consulate receiving the packet (ie about now). That number was the ONLY thing they required from the visa process at the Medical.

I was told the results of the medical then take 7-10 working days to arrive (mine took 12 - there was an option to pick up, but I declined), and as the Doctor told me - the consulate's part consisted of a sealed packet to carry to the interview in Sydney - so I did NOT mail mine in with packet 3 response.

As you say your NOA2 date was 15May, you can expect (well your fiancee actually) to receive the packet 3 email by early June.

Packet 3 response to interview currently looks to be 1 month (from last couple of updates on VisaJourney for Australia), so interview possibly early July, assuming you have EVERYTHING ready to go in your response, as soon as you receive the Packet 3.

So mid July for your visa is possible (again assuming all goes well at the interview and it takes a week to arrive)

The link to packet 3 response for Australia is: http://canberra.usembassy.gov/fiance_niv_appl.html

For me that resulted in docs:

1) DS-230, Immigrant Visa Application Part I, Biographic Data (signed at ONE spot, not at end)
2) Correspondence details form to accompany DS-230
3) DS-156, Non-immigrant Visa Application (2 copies)
4) DS-156K, Non-immigrant Fiancé Visa Application (unsigned)
5) Evidence of engagement required for DS-156K. (recent captioned photos of us together wearing her ring)
6) DS-157, Supplemental Non-immigrant Visa Application (2 copies)
7) DSL-1076, Ready to be interviewed (page 6)
8) DSL-1076, Checklist (page 7)
9) Birth Certificate (original + copy)
10) Police Certificates (original + copy) (for each of the 3 countries I'd lived in)
11) Photocopy of Passport biographic page
12) 2 passport size photographs
13) I-134, Affidavit of Support from my Fiancée
a) Letter affirming her continued intent to marry me (mutual I assure you)
b) Employment letter from her employer
c) Her 2012 Income Tax Return Transcript
d) Her 2012 W-2 Form
e) 2 recent Pay Stubs

Good luck. Your timeframe has very little leeway.

Timeline

Thank you for the informative timeline with your experience in Australia. Some countries allow the interview to be scheduled as soon as the NVC assigns the case number. It does not appear that the Embassy in Australia will schedule the interview without receiving Packet 3. Is this true? Has anyone tried to schedule the interview as soon the NVC assigned a case number?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

To expedite the arrival of packet 3, you can write to your embassy and request a provisional file to be sent out, while they are waiting for the packet from NVC. I requested it for my fiance and he already has packet 3 while we are still waiting for NVC to complete the packet.

Once form DS230 and others listed on the checklist are returned to the embassy, they will be able to schedule the interview as long as the packet from NVC is received as well. Can probably cut the time down by at least two weeks if not more.

Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.