*C&C*

Wedding venue booked - need visa within 10 weeks of NOA2. Help!

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

I think as long as you stay on top of it, you have a good chance of getting it in time. Just make sure to have everything ready & call, email, etc. until you are blue in the face. I don't think you have to worry about too many vacations in the middle if winter in Oz, so at least that's in your favor. Good luck!

K-1 JourneyI-129F sent: 12/03/2012 (overnight)NOA1 printed on letter: 12/06/2012NOA1 text/email: 12/07/2012Transfer from VSC to TSC: 5/29/2013NOA2: 6/18/2013Notice of transfer to Dept of State: 7/10/2013Case received by NVC: 7/12/2013Packet 3 received: 7/26/2013Packet 3 mailed: 7/31/2013 (overnight)Packet 4 received: 8/9/2013Interview: 8/20/2013 Approved!Wedding Date: 10/26/2013 smile.pngAOS JourneyI-485/I-131/I-765 NOA1: 12/6/2013EAD/AP Approved: 2/11/2014<p>Notice of Interview Waiver: Received on 3/17/14 but dated 3/12/14

Approved 6/25/2014!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Took me a month from NOA2 until I could schedule the interview, so I think you can do it.

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Thank you everyone, this is all so helpful. We're now thinking through everyone's comments.

As of today, the NVC says it has not received our petition from the USCIS, so we don't have a case number yet. I've ordered the police check. When we get the case number, I'll book the medical. My fiancee is posting the affidavit of support tomorrow. And I've begun filling out the online versions of the Packet 3 forms in advance.

We'd like to get really clear about

1) where the delays are likely to be from here, and how we can speed them up

2) what might go wrong, and how we can help make sure it won't

We know there's a chance we'll have to postpone the wedding. But if we know the key hurdles, then as we clear the big ones we can at least update my Australian family on the 'probability' of it happening on Aug 9th, as the weeks progress.

Hope this thread will be helpful to others too.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thank you everyone, this is all so helpful. We're now thinking through everyone's comments.

As of today, the NVC says it has not received our petition from the USCIS, so we don't have a case number yet. I've ordered the police check. When we get the case number, I'll book the medical. My fiancee is posting the affidavit of support tomorrow. And I've begun filling out the online versions of the Packet 3 forms in advance.

We'd like to get really clear about

1) where the delays are likely to be from here, and how we can speed them up

2) what might go wrong, and how we can help make sure it won't

We know there's a chance we'll have to postpone the wedding. But if we know the key hurdles, then as we clear the big ones we can at least update my Australian family on the 'probability' of it happening on Aug 9th, as the weeks progress.

Hope this thread will be helpful to others too.

1) Delays...it's hard to give you a definitive list on where these may be! Could be postage - your documents from your fiance may be lost or take longer than anticipated to reach Australia. Consulate - they may take their sweet time in contacting you with the Packet 3 AND with the Packet 4 and even when you do receive the Packet 4, you may find that the interview scheduled (Which only happens on Tuesdays for K1 Visa) may not be within a time frame that is suitable to you. Some people have contacted the Consulate and have been successful in booking an earlier interview but of course, this is subject to availability.

2) Um...How long is a piece of string? My suggestion to you is to ensure that all forms are filled out and you review them THOROUGHLY. Read the instructions in the link that has been provided to you THOROUGHLY.

All in all, a lot of this is out of your hands. Like I said previously, too many variables for you to control in its entirety. All you can do is make sure you have followed the instructions.

14 Jan 2011 - Fiance sent me a message on a dating website

14 Jan 2011 - I added him on Facebook

26 Jan 2011 - Had a 5 hour long conversation that changed my life!

05 Feb 2011 - We decided to be an exclusive relationship

29 Jun 2011 - We met for the first time. It was exactly as I knew it would be!

14 Jul 2011 - He had to leave to go back to USA

17 Jul 2011 - Booked flights for me to go to USA for 3 months on VWP

29 Nov 2011 - Arrived in USA

25 Dec 2011 - HE PROPOSED!

21 Feb 2012 - Left USA for Australia

K1 Visa Process

16 Apr 2012 - NOA1

08 Aug 2012 - RFE

11 Sep 2012 - CSC received RFE documentation

11 Sep 2012 - Did Police Clearance

18 Sep 2012 - NOA 2

26 Sep 2012 - NVC sent case to consulate

16 Oct 2012 - Packet 3 received

18 Oct 2012 - Sent DS-230 off to Sydney Consulate

01 Nov 2012 - Medical completed

07 Nov 2012 - Packet 3 Sent to Consulate

08 Nov 2012 - Packet 3 Delivered

15 Nov 2012 - Packet 4 Received

18 Dec 2012 - Interview APPROVED!

28 Dec 2012 - Entered USA POE:- LAX

09 Jan 2013 - Married

In most cases, you have six months to enter the U.S. before the K-1 expires. Then, once you enter the U.S., you have 90 days to wed.

I get that most people want to hurry and enter the U.S. as soon as possible, but if having a big wedding is that important, then delay when you enter to make the plans rather than risk having to lose money if the visa doesn't arrive in time. You're dealing with the federal government and in most cases, they work on their own schedule.

I agree with this completely. You do NOT need to rush into the USA to get married if having a big wedding is important. What you need to do is set the date AFTER the visa is in hand for up to 9 months from either the date of the interview or the medical (depending on what determines your 6 months of entry eligibility.)

OP you may or may not be able to get the medical done without an interview letter. In some countries, that is a requirement. (Most countries I think.)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I agree with this completely. You do NOT need to rush into the USA to get married if having a big wedding is important. What you need to do is set the date AFTER the visa is in hand for up to 9 months from either the date of the interview or the medical (depending on what determines your 6 months of entry eligibility.)

OP you may or may not be able to get the medical done without an interview letter. In some countries, that is a requirement. (Most countries I think.)

But what are the standard procedures for Australia?

I don't know them. It sounds like you are unsure also.

OP needs to research the norms for the Australian consulate.

Any other information, except NVC protocol, is useless to the OP.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It's not advisable to book a venue until your visa is approved... Since you've already booked yours, I wish you good luck and I hope you won't need to reschedule your wedding.. My fiance and I couldn't book a venue for we have no idea of when I'll be able to go to the US yet because we're still waiting for our NOA2. Booking a venue ahead without a specific date of arrival is not practical and it's a hassle to reschedule. Aside from being expensive, you can't do refunds too.. Anyway, good luck and best wishes to you guys! :)

It would have been safer if you didn't make any wedding arrangement while your visa is not yet granted. But who knows, just pray that everything will be fine. :)

God bless.

Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust in the Lord with all your heart

and lean not on your own understanding;

in all your ways submit to Him,
and He will make your paths straight.

In GOD we trust. † = ♥

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

My k1 petition took 6 month and 3 weeks since we file til the day I moved to the US. Got my noa2 within 3 month but it took me a month to get an interview appointment (My embassy doesn't have package 3 or 4 wich it makes everything faster) and they gave me my appointment for april 3, 2012 (2 month and 3 weeks after my noa2). I finally got my visa in hand in april 16 (3month after my noa2). So if I were you I wouldn't make plan until she got her visa. August 9 is aroubd the corner

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Not to mention CSC has been irregular at getting the cases from there to the NVC. Some are getting sent other places and some are being held for weeks without being sent anywhere. plus you can go into administrative processing.

But what are the standard procedures for Australia?

I don't know them. It sounds like you are unsure also.

OP needs to research the norms for the Australian consulate.

Any other information, except NVC protocol, is useless to the OP.

I agree!

Looking at the US embassy in Canberra, it doesn't look like an interview date is needed to book a medical. However none of the doctors listed have websites listed so I can't double check.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I agree!

Looking at the US embassy in Canberra, it doesn't look like an interview date is needed to book a medical. However none of the doctors listed have websites listed so I can't double check.

In Australia, the medical is sent in with the Packet 3 or directly to the Consulate. Then the Consulate in Sydney will send you what is called Packet 4 outlining interview date and time and any extra documents they may or may not require.

14 Jan 2011 - Fiance sent me a message on a dating website

14 Jan 2011 - I added him on Facebook

26 Jan 2011 - Had a 5 hour long conversation that changed my life!

05 Feb 2011 - We decided to be an exclusive relationship

29 Jun 2011 - We met for the first time. It was exactly as I knew it would be!

14 Jul 2011 - He had to leave to go back to USA

17 Jul 2011 - Booked flights for me to go to USA for 3 months on VWP

29 Nov 2011 - Arrived in USA

25 Dec 2011 - HE PROPOSED!

21 Feb 2012 - Left USA for Australia

K1 Visa Process

16 Apr 2012 - NOA1

08 Aug 2012 - RFE

11 Sep 2012 - CSC received RFE documentation

11 Sep 2012 - Did Police Clearance

18 Sep 2012 - NOA 2

26 Sep 2012 - NVC sent case to consulate

16 Oct 2012 - Packet 3 received

18 Oct 2012 - Sent DS-230 off to Sydney Consulate

01 Nov 2012 - Medical completed

07 Nov 2012 - Packet 3 Sent to Consulate

08 Nov 2012 - Packet 3 Delivered

15 Nov 2012 - Packet 4 Received

18 Dec 2012 - Interview APPROVED!

28 Dec 2012 - Entered USA POE:- LAX

09 Jan 2013 - Married

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Here's something to think about too. This happened to us.

My fiance and I went to pick up his passport and yellow envelope from the courier 2 days after our interview....the courier opened the sealed envelope that says DO NOT OPEN. So we had to have them send it back to the embassy, we had to figure out how to contact the embassy because they of course don't have phone numbers to tell them we were sending it back to be resealed and not that we had changed our minds or something. Took 2-3 weeks to get it back. Could have been longer if I didn't have my congressman on top of the situation.

Anything can happen.

K-1 VISA ADVENTURE:
04-01-2012: Engaged in Detroit, Michigan at Comerica Park!
USCIS
05-02-2012: Sent I-129F to Dallas Lockbox
05-14-2012: Received Physical NOA1
08-09-2012: Received Physical NOA2
Montreal Embassy
08-21-2012: Package 3
09-06-2012: Package 4
11-12-2012: Medical in Toronto, Ontario (Approved-Went Well! Tip: Make sure you have ALL of your vaccinations up to date when you go to your medical exam! It CAN delay things.
11-19-2012: Interview in Montreal (APPROVED!!)
11-21-2012: Received Passport and Visa Package Back From Montreal (DHL/LOOMIS OPENED OUR SEALED ENVELOPE! SENT BACK TO MONTREAL ON 11-23-2012 TO BE RESEALED)
12-04-2012: Recevied resealed Visa package from Montreal
12-23-2012: POE: Port Huron, Michigan (Everything Went Great!)
02-16-2013: Wedding Date! We're MARRIED!

AOS

06-18-2013: Sent AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox

06-20-2013: USPS Estimating Package Should Arrive in Chicago

06-24-2013: Received NOA Text and Emails for All Applications

06-27-2013: Received Physical NOAs for AOS, EAD and AP

07-16-2013: Biometrics Appointment

07-29-2013: I-485 Ready for Interview to Be Scheduled!!! YAY!!!! (No EXTREMELY Long Wait!)

08-02-2013: Received Mail with Interview Date!

09-03-2013: Interview in Detroit, Michigan (APPROVED!)

09-04-2013: EAD/AP Approved! (Even though it no longer matters because GC was approved the day before)

09-09-2013: Green Card mailed out via USPS 2-Day Air

09-11-2013: Received 2 Year Conditional Green Card in the Mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Here's the latest - NVC have received our file, and given it a case number. And with that number, the Sydney medical centre let me book an appointment.

I've also got the police check ordered, and my fiancee is about to post me the affidavit of support.

Now from what you've all said, what do you think of this tactic:

at the US end - my fiancee calls the NVC and says "URGENT, please send this case number on as soon as you possibly can".

at the Sydney end- I call the Sydney Consulate and say "URGENT. PLEASE can you (a) send me a provisional packet 3 now, and (b) schedule an interview for me, in anticipation of this case number arriving in the mail".

thoughts?

I have done the same thing, just hoping we will have the visa by July. But if it doesnt we can move our wedding to a later date. I hate waiting its like torture!!!

July, without having had your NOA2 yet, seems incredibly unlikely.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.