Kevinbolts

Guide on how to adjust status on VWP?

14 posts in this topic

My fiancee and I have already sent in the first papers for the K-1 visa. While we are waiting to hear back from the papers, she is here visiting for 90 days on the visa waiver program. We don't want to be apart and for her to go back to Italy and do the rest of the paperwork for the K-1 visa because it takes several months. We would like to get married and adjust status here so she can stay and to avoid being apart. Can someone give us some advice on how to do so or an online guide on how to do it? I can't find anything very clear online about this. She has been here for about 45 days, is it too late to try to adjust and have her stay without going back?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

First you would have to marry her! Then start the process the very next day. It's not too late she still has another 45 days before she has to go back but you gotta get going.

Also you might have to prove that this was something you decided once she came over and not had it planned all along, it might look a little dodgy since you already started the K1 process...

Edited by Alaska2012

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Like Alaska said, the problem is that you've already filed the K1, which kinda shows intent to immigrate on the VWP. If I were you, I wouldn't risk AOS in this particular case.

Edited by Nola123

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

My husband and I had started the CR-1 process, and I ended up adjusting from a B-2 when I came for a visit. I had no issues at all. The guide is here. If you do not send the package in before her VWP expires, don't worry too much about it, overstay is forgiven for the spouse of a US citizen.

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

My husband and I had started the CR-1 process, and I ended up adjusting from a B-2 when I came for a visit. I had no issues at all. The guide is here. If you do not send the package in before her VWP expires, don't worry too much about it, overstay is forgiven for the spouse of a US citizen.

There is a risk associated with this. Sometimes USCIS looks the other way but there is still risk in this.

What I post here is merely my personal opinion and not a valid legal advice and should not be viewed as such.

Timeline

Overstaying under VWP is extremely risky.

Please checkout this posting.

..."At first glance, it appears that there is a conflict between the adjustment-of-status statute, 8 U.S.C. § 1255©(4), and the VWP statute, 8 U.S.C. § 1187(b)(2). Upon closer examination, however, we believe that they can be reconciled. During the time when a nonimmigrant visitor is within the VWP’s 90-day window, she may submit an adjustment-of-status application based on an immediate relative. An application submitted at that time would not represent a challenge to removal. After the visitor overstays their 90-day visit, however, the effect of the VWP waiver kicks in, preventing any objection to removal (except for asylum), including one based on adjustment of status. All of the circuits to have addressed this issue have held that the VWP waiver prevents an alien from applying for adjustment of status after 90 days have elapsed. See McCarthy v. Mukasey, 555 F.3d 459, 462 (5th Cir. 2009); Momeni v. Chertoff, 521 F.3d 1094, 1097 (9th Cir. 2008) (narrowing Freeman v. Gonzales, 444 F.3d 1031 (9th Cir. 2006), to its facts, as the court in Freeman allowed an adjustment-of-status application filed prior to the expiration of the 90 days under the VWP); Zine, 517 F.3d at 543; Lacey v. Gonzales, 499 F.3d 514, 519 (6th Cir. 2007); Schmitt v. Maurer, 451 F.3d 1092, 1097 (10th Cir. 2006). Bayo filed his application for adjustment of status long after his 90 days were up. As a result, his adjustment-of-status application is barred by his valid VWP waiver or by the fact that in the absence of a waiver he never would have entered the United States in the first place."

Edited by inqztve

What I post here is merely my personal opinion and not a valid legal advice and should not be viewed as such.

The only real risk with adjusting from VWP is that, if denied, there is no appeal (because you sign away your rights of appeal as part of the conditions of being able to use the VWP in the first place).

For the overwhelming majority of people who are able to prove a legitimate marital relationship then this isn't an issue, but it is something to consider.

That being said, thousands of people successfully adjust from VWP to LPR every year.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline

The only real risk with adjusting from VWP is that, if denied, there is no appeal (because you sign away your rights of appeal as part of the conditions of being able to use the VWP in the first place).

Agreed. I just personally consider it "extremely" risky. :).

For the overwhelming majority of people who are able to prove a legitimate marital relationship then this isn't an issue, but it is something to consider.

That being said, thousands of people successfully adjust from VWP to LPR every year.

Overstaying under VWP is extremely risky.

Please checkout this posting.

..."At first glance, it appears that there is a conflict between the adjustment-of-status statute, 8 U.S.C. § 1255©(4), and the VWP statute, 8 U.S.C. § 1187(b)(2). Upon closer examination, however, we believe that they can be reconciled. During the time when a nonimmigrant visitor is within the VWP's 90-day window, she may submit an adjustment-of-status application based on an immediate relative. An application submitted at that time would not represent a challenge to removal. After the visitor overstays their 90-day visit, however, the effect of the VWP waiver kicks in, preventing any objection to removal (except for asylum), including one based on adjustment of status. All of the circuits to have addressed this issue have held that the VWP waiver prevents an alien from applying for adjustment of status after 90 days have elapsed. See McCarthy v. Mukasey, 555 F.3d 459, 462 (5th Cir. 2009); Momeni v. Chertoff, 521 F.3d 1094, 1097 (9th Cir. 2008) (narrowing Freeman v. Gonzales, 444 F.3d 1031 (9th Cir. 2006), to its facts, as the court in Freeman allowed an adjustment-of-status application filed prior to the expiration of the 90 days under the VWP); Zine, 517 F.3d at 543; Lacey v. Gonzales, 499 F.3d 514, 519 (6th Cir. 2007); Schmitt v. Maurer, 451 F.3d 1092, 1097 (10th Cir. 2006). Bayo filed his application for adjustment of status long after his 90 days were up. As a result, his adjustment-of-status application is barred by his valid VWP waiver or by the fact that in the absence of a waiver he never would have entered the United States in the first place."

Sigh. This is OLD OLD OLD. There was a time, about 2 years ago, that people adjusting from VWP after an overstay were having issues, but the rule was clarified and they are afforded the same opportunity to adjust, based on marriage to a US citizen, as someone who came in on, say, a B-2 visa. Please look for more current information.

Also, while you may think it is 'extremely' risky, it is actually not. Intent can not be used as a reason to deny, there would have to be other significant negative factors. Since the OP has not mentioned any, I am going to run with the assumption that they don't exist until shown otherwise.

My lawyer also felt that having started with a CR-1 tended to prove I had no immigrant intent, since why spend all that extra money starting out with it if you weren't actually planning on using it?

ETA: OP, note that, as someone else has already pointed out, if you are denied, you have no chance to appeal because you are on the VWP. So, you would have to go home and pursue the CR-1 at that point, if you were denied.

Edited by ValerieA

Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Inqtzve, the issue address in that post is very old. Valerie explained. You are spreading misinformation all over this forum. Please stop.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Timeline

My fiancee and I have already sent in the first papers for the K-1 visa. While we are waiting to hear back from the papers, she is here visiting for 90 days on the visa waiver program. We don't want to be apart and for her to go back to Italy and do the rest of the paperwork for the K-1 visa because it takes several months. We would like to get married and adjust status here so she can stay and to avoid being apart. Can someone give us some advice on how to do so or an online guide on how to do it? I can't find anything very clear online about this. She has been here for about 45 days, is it too late to try to adjust and have her stay without going back?

Go to Borders and buy a copy of .."Mind Changing for VWP Travelers"....

Timeline

Sigh. This is OLD OLD OLD. There was a time, about 2 years ago, that people adjusting from VWP after an overstay were having issues, but the rule was clarified and they are afforded the same opportunity to adjust, based on marriage to a US citizen, as someone who came in on, say, a B-2 visa. Please look for more current information.

Also, while you may think it is 'extremely' risky, it is actually not. Intent can not be used as a reason to deny, there would have to be other significant negative factors. Since the OP has not mentioned any, I am going to run with the assumption that they don't exist until shown otherwise.

My lawyer also felt that having started with a CR-1 tended to prove I had no immigrant intent, since why spend all that extra money starting out with it if you weren't actually planning on using it?

ETA: OP, note that, as someone else has already pointed out, if you are denied, you have no chance to appeal because you are on the VWP. So, you would have to go home and pursue the CR-1 at that point, if you were denied.

Ok. I stand corrected. Thank u for the clarification.

Ok. I stand corrected. Thank u for the clarification.

No worries. We see someone post that here from time to time, and we all have to jump in to make sure the OP does not act on outdated information. Sorry to be a little snappish, but there is a lot of misinformation about the AOS process out there, and we spend a lot of time correcting the same posts. Maybe I should have had coffee today. blush.gif

Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.