Boggy1974

Can my I-130 the place of I-129F in line?

45 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello Everyone,

Two months ago I file for I-129F for my fiancee who now my wife. We recently filed for I-130 because we both read alot about the obvious advantages of the I-130 over the I-129F. So my question is: if both get approved and get forwarded to NVC, can I request that the I-130 take the place (priority) over the I-129F? (Especially I-129F has 8weeks headstart over the I-130, would we be credited with the time?). Ideally, we would like to stick with the I-130 because of the obvious advantages of it being less expensive overall and she getting a green card right away when she enters the US. Ofcourse, we only found this out after we joined this forum and had already filed the I-129F. Now we both realize it was a waste of our money and time. Knowing what we now know, we would have waited to get our marriage certificate and file the I-130 instead.

Thanks in advance for any advice, comments and/or suggestions.

Iron Sharpen Iron!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

The 129f is for unmarried couples, for a fiance to come to the US and get married in this country. 129f is not an option for you,now that you have gone ahead and married. Your only option now is the i130. I suggest you study the links at the top of this page

Edited by mimolicious

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

Two months ago I file for I-129F for my fiancee who now my wife. We recently filed for I-130 because we both read alot about the obvious advantages of the I-130 over the I-129F. So my question is: if both get approved and get forwarded to NVC, can I request that the I-130 take the place (priority) over the I-129F? (Especially I-129F has 8weeks headstart over the I-130, would we be credited with the time?). Ideally, we would like to stick with the I-130 because of the obvious advantages of it being less expensive overall and she getting a green card right away when she enters the US. Ofcourse, we only found this out after we joined this forum and had already filed the I-129F. Now we both realize it was a waste of our money and time. Knowing what we now know, we would have waited to get our marriage certificate and file the I-130 instead.

Thanks in advance for any advice, comments and/or suggestions.

NO. And you must withdraw the I-129f. Should have been done before filing the I-130. You cannot have both in progress. Send a regostered letter to USCIS referencing the case number of the I-129f and withdraw that petition.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

NO. And you must withdraw the I-129f. Should have been done before filing the I-130. You cannot have both in progress. Send a regostered letter to USCIS referencing the case number of the I-129f and withdraw that petition.

:thumbs:

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Withdrawing is not what I want to do at this point. Thanks though.

:blink: You cannot have two open cases at USCIS. Since you have decided to marry, you are no longer eligible for I 129f. Therefore, to keep from having issues later on, it is being suggested that you let USCIS know that you got married. The petitions are processed separately as they are different immigration processes. You will not move up eight weeks as you said into your I-129F slot, as you are on a different waiting list, and your petition for wife will be denied.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Ok when they both get approved I will post copies here for you. Thanks.

:no:

We'll be here to read all about it. :pop:

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Timeline

No one cares what you want, especially not USCIS. You blew up the I-129f when you got married, it is for FIANCEEs, you do not have a finacee, you have a wife.

You CANNOT have two such petitions in progress, if you do, you will get BOTH denied.

Withdraw the I-129f, it is not a choice if you want anything approved.

You're welcome.

Ok when they both get approved I will post copies here for you. Thanks.

:lol:

Please do.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Meanwhile, please construct your VJ timeline (singular) for us. Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

I am also at a total loss to understand the @obvious advantages@ of the I-130. You had already filed an I-129f and in order to file an I-130 and save a few hundred dollars (that's ALL you will save) in the cost of reaching the point of a Green Card, you had to take another trip to your (then) fiancee and get married. I am assuming that was not free. Maybe it was?

She will still have to go through ROC and citizenship the same as a K-1

So for this "obvious advantage" you threw away the money you had already paid for the K-1 and incurred the expense of the trip to get married before you could file the I-130 and the process of the I-130 (which you have no choice but to follow now) is considerably longer than the K-1.

Money is such a non-issue as to be laughable. The fees associated with this process are NOTHING compared to the costs of life. My wife incurred more than $32,000 in tuition alone in the first 2 years of being here. Not to mention all the other costs of life, insurance, medical bills, cars, homes, utilities...you think that occasional $500-600 fees even show up on the radar? You're joking, right? I mean I did this process for THREE people, wife and two sons, so all the fees were TIMES 3...and it still did not matter. All the costs of life were TIMES 3 also! The increase in my grocery bill for a couple months would pay the visa fees! :yes:

The main advantage to the I-130 is that the immigrant is eligible to work and travel right away. Period. That's it. If that is not a factor for you, then the I-130 has NO advantage, obvious or otherwise.

The way to think of this is simple.

BOTH petitions have about the same amount of time from filing the petition until the issuance of a green card. The K-1 allows you to do part of the process while you are together in the USA. The CR-1 (I-130) requires that your wife remain outside the USA until she gets the green card. Check out some timelines, mine is there for you to look at. Note the time from petition to green card (AOS) for K-1s and the time of visa issue for CR-1s

For someone with children between the ages of 18-21 the K-1 is the only route but I am fairly certain that is not an issue for you.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

We actually sent a letter withdrawing ours and had the embassy send it back after USCIS ignored the original letter. I explained the situation in the I-130 cover letter, but I sure hope it is enough.

OP, you are stuck with the I-130 and its priority date. Do not proceed with the I-129F even if it does get approved for some odd reason. You will find yourself in hot water, especially if you end up misrepresenting things on paperwork to continue with the K1.

With luck, your I-130 might even be approved before the I-129F would have been with the current NBC processing times.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

rofl.gif

I await your post with great anticipation.

If you cannot take advice given to you then why bother asking the question?

You seem intent on getting what you want without regarding the Rules.

2008 - Met Amber Online Whilst I Was Working in GA.

07 - 2011 - Met For The First Time Whilst I Was On Vacation in FL

12 - 2011 - Visited Amber for a Week

04 - 2012 - Spent 10 Days in SC - Engaged

08 - 2012 - Amber visited UK for 16 days.

12-2012 - Spending 14 days in SC -Wedding Planning

http://4000milesmakestheheartgrowfonder.wordpress.com

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.