ilFarinello

My wife just got her "green card"

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
If you want to carry it, carry it. I disagree with your analysis of what "possession" means but people SHOULD be aware that the whole possession thing you quoted exists, and make their decisions accordingly.

The actual wording as per the Immigration and Nationality Act, section 264(e):

(e) Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d). Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.

"Carry with him and have in his personal possession." To me that sounds exactly like you must have it with you at all times. Note that a copy is not considered valid. I'm not saying that is likely you will ever have this issue come up but it is possible.

Edited by Shirezu

I-129F Sent: Sometime in February 2012

I-129F NOA1: 13th February 2012

I-129F NOA2: 6th June 2012

P3 Received: 26th June 2012

P3 Sent: 16th August 2012 (delayed by police check)

P4 Received: 23rd August 2012

Visa Interview Date: 9th October 2012 - Approved!

Visa Received: 17th October 2012

POE: 29th October 2012 - DFW - In country!

SSN: 3rd December 2012

AOS filed: 6th December 2012

Bio Appointment: 7th January 2013

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I'm not saying that is likely you will ever have this issue come up but it is possible.

I'll take my chances just like I take my chances when I drive at 70mph in a 65 zone and I've never got into trouble for that either.

bostonharborpanoramabyc.jpg

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler

Timeline

Five times out of six it was just "click"...that sixth one...what a mess.

That's what makes life interesting.

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Adjustment of Status from Family Based Visas forum to General Immigration-Related Discussion.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

well doing something illegal may well go against the terms of your being 'granted a green card', its how there things are interpreted by the officer adjudicating isnt it? ie, not very likely...but it 'could' happen.

thanks shirezu for quoting the whole paragraph - its proved to people it does mean carry it, like ive said.

Timeline

The actual wording as per the Immigration and Nationality Act, section 264(e):

"Carry with him and have in his personal possession." To me that sounds exactly like you must have it with you at all times. Note that a copy is not considered valid. I'm not saying that is likely you will ever have this issue come up but it is possible.

It doesn't say a copy isn't valid, that's just your interpretation. But thank you for providing the proper wording for everyone else reading. "Matene" stated you were putting your whole USA life at risk, a misdemeanor, and a fine "not to exceed $100" is hardly putting your USA life at risk.

In fact, reading that where it says "certificate of alien registration" you could be forgiven for thinking that that refers to your approval letter that states you are registered as an LPR.

Ultimately yes, the wording states that you will be committing a misdemeanor for not carrying it in your personal possession but it is each individuals personal choice whether to do that or not, knowing the risks. Both myself, and scotinmass (and many other people) do not, and have not, carried their greencards for their entire LPR history for reasons which we have explained. But we know the risks. We are not advising other people to do the same (or at least I'm not) but I don't have $455 laying around or the 6 months time to wait for a replacement card, or the time to travel 3 hours (one way) to my "local office" to get the I-551 stamp. I choose not to carry the actual card. This is my choice and I do so knowing the risks, just as you carry yours knowing the risks.

well doing something illegal may well go against the terms of your being 'granted a green card', its how there things are interpreted by the officer adjudicating isnt it? ie, not very likely...but it 'could' happen.

thanks shirezu for quoting the whole paragraph - its proved to people it does mean carry it, like ive said.

No it doesn't go against the terms of your greencard which will affect status. You obviously don't know what crimes affect status. A misdemeanor does not affect status (some might, like domestic, but a misdemeanor of this sort doesn't). Not carrying the card is not something that will affect your status. It could NOT happen.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

I'm going to Scotland for Christmas. If I carried my Green Card with me at all times and somehow lost it or had my wallet stolen I would not be able to go. I would lose all the money I've spent on the trip plus miss out on seeing my son and my family for the first time in 9 months. I'd have to jump through hoops again and spend hundreds more and wait for months getting a replacement green card.

I feel much safer leaving it in the safe and risking a $100 fine. And I think I have more chance of winning the lottery than getting fined.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I told my wife sorry, I think you just were welcomed into the USSA... :( ???

That's sufficient, really.

Yer Done.

I'm sure she can appreciate the extra care and attention the USA government is doing, on your behalf, yes?

I know I do !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

(1) A completed SS-5 application.

(2) Her green card (the original).

(3) A certified copy of her birth certificate (you may or may not be asked for this, some people are, some aren't; I was).

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Other Timeline

Unless (1) the holder is traveling internationally or (2) on the way to the USCIS or (3) traveling where CBP has control stations, the Green Card belongs into the safe or the safest place the person has access to. For all those who point out that a law abiding Green Card holder of course carries their Green Card with them at all times, as the law requires, tell me where you carry them when taking a shower and were a gay man having sex with another gay man would carry it if he doesn't want to have it dangling on a chain around his neck.

Exactly. So put the Green Card away as nobody will ever, ask for it. I have NEVER been asked for my Green Card outside scenario (1+2) and in 20+ years I have NEVER been asked to show my SS card. In fact, had I not changed my name when becoming a US citizen, I would still have my old SS card from 1991 that read "not valid for employment."

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

That's a silly argument to make. If you don't want to carry your green card around - contrary to the law - that's your business, but don't try to say that that isn't what the law requires, because it clearly does.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline

Unless (1) the holder is traveling internationally or (2) on the way to the USCIS or (3) traveling where CBP has control stations, the Green Card belongs into the safe or the safest place the person has access to. For all those who point out that a law abiding Green Card holder of course carries their Green Card with them at all times, as the law requires, tell me where you carry them when taking a shower and were a gay man having sex with another gay man would carry it if he doesn't want to have it dangling on a chain around his neck.

Uh the same place you'd put your credit card and license during those occasions. Unless you shower with your drivers license. Seriously that has to be the stupidest argument I've ever heard.

And within only a few weeks of having it I've needed my social security card already. My apartment complex required it to put me on the lease. As I am only new to the US I have no credit history so they needed to view my social security card. Also to get a drivers license a social security card (not just number) is one of the preferred identification methods. But social security card is a whole different thing to green card. Social security cards are not meant to be carried at all. It says on the documentation to leave it in a safe place and only provide it when required. Unlike the green card law which requires it to be carried at all times. Just like a drivers license. Or are people here just that thick that you can't understand it?

I-129F Sent: Sometime in February 2012

I-129F NOA1: 13th February 2012

I-129F NOA2: 6th June 2012

P3 Received: 26th June 2012

P3 Sent: 16th August 2012 (delayed by police check)

P4 Received: 23rd August 2012

Visa Interview Date: 9th October 2012 - Approved!

Visa Received: 17th October 2012

POE: 29th October 2012 - DFW - In country!

SSN: 3rd December 2012

AOS filed: 6th December 2012

Bio Appointment: 7th January 2013

^^^ what shirezu says ^^^

you people arguing the toss are really not taking the green card privilege (because that's what it is) seriously. citizens are obliged to carry their license at ALL times while driving..so there's an i.d they have to carry right there.

for those who think a simple misdemeanor cannot put their u.s life at risk, you should really re-read your welcome to america letter. you'll see pretty much anything, no matter how inconsequential you may think it is, can be used against you and your status. i prefer to do things by the book, that way minimizing the risks in life. Thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.