ilFarinello

My wife just got her "green card"

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

A number of inappropriate comments have been removed. If you can't provide a constructive response then please do not participate in the thread\

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

moderator hat off

As has been mentioned the hologram and other security features are now embedded directly into the card. The passport card has the same features. Technology now allows us not only to print the information directly on the surface of the card, it allows a microchip type of device that contains exactly the same information to be embedded into the card directly. This is done to prevent immigration fraud. Previously, it was very easy to create false documents that those who are here illegally or who are involved in other types of illegal activities could use. This new system makes it much, much harder to create counterfeit documents.

There are hand-held devices out there that people with few scruples and lots of greed can use to 'pickpocket' the information from the chip that is in that card. Some credit cards also have this same type of chip and they too are susceptible to this same type of theft. There is a very enlightening video out there produced by one of the major media networks showing this device at work in an airport where a law enforcement officer actually 'pickpockets' credit card information by 'reading' the unprotected cards in the individuals wallets, pockets or purses - then stopping them and showing them what they have done as a means to educate them about the risk.

The paper envelope has a protective coating on the inside - or in the case of newer envelopes - also embedded right into the paper itself. This acts kind of like the lead apron your doctor uses when you have x-rays - they prevents these portable devices from illegally accessing your personal information encoded into the chip on the green card or the credit card or the passport card.

Since you are required to carry your green card with you by law, make sure you have photocopies of it at home (both sides) and then place it in its envelope and carry it with you. This is been done not for any nefarious purposes, rather because the government is trying to find ways to make it easier to prevent immigration fraud and to identify counterfeit documents.

btw - congratulations on the green card.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

If you are concerned about the security of RFID embedded cards then either buy a wallet that is designed to make cards safe within, or simply wrap your wallet/pocketbook in tin foil, or line your purse.

In this day and age, the government and it's many satellite agencies do all sorts of things that may well not be in your best personal interests, so paranoia is quite understandable. :)

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

If in fact they are tracking a green cards every movement its not much different than the fingerprint that we all leave on the internet machine everyday. I would guess that each of us have a different ad banner at the top this VJ page at this very moment. Someone is tracking us...all the time, at the bank, at work and floating in cyber space.

The fact of the matter is if no one scans the green card no one knows where it is. Except of course the holder and it should be with them when they are outside of the house.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline
:unsure: umm, you have a cellphone, no? How about your wife? I f it comes down to paranoid conspiracy theories, they can track you via your cellphone easier than you think.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

It says to "prevent wireless communication with it". There are devices that can read the magnetic strips on credit cards and steal the numbers and information wirelessly. Criminal can carry these devices in their pockets and get all the CC numbers of the people around them. A GC also has a magnetic strip on it. They give you the pouch for your protection, so you don't get your identity stolen from these devices.

If they wanted to spy on you, then they would NOT give you that pouch, since it PREVENTS communication with it. :bonk:

good.gifgood.gifgood.gifgood.gif or ditch the card

It says to "prevent wireless communication with it". There are devices that can read the magnetic strips on credit cards and steal the numbers and information wirelessly. Criminal can carry these devices in their pockets and get all the CC numbers of the people around them. A GC also has a magnetic strip on it. They give you the pouch for your protection, so you don't get your identity stolen from these devices.

If they wanted to spy on you, then they would NOT give you that pouch, since it PREVENTS communication with it. :bonk:

good.gifgood.gifgood.gif or ditch the card

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I lol'd when I read this because I too have feared the same thing! It is a scary looking card!!

I don't carry it around with me due to the replacement cost of it as well, I carry a photo copy (both sides) of it in my wallet. If the need to produce it ever came, I'm hoping the copy would suffice in the interim until I could get home to get it.

Brandi

K-3 Visa Interview Date : 2009-10-19 Approved POE: 2009-10-28 Emerson ND

See time-line or Profile for more info

EAD

2010-06-07: Date Filed

2010-10-16: EAD in hand!

2010-10-23: SSN Received in normal post!!

AoS- Chicago Lock Box

2010-10-18(Day 1): Mailed again :)

2011-03-17(Day 159): Interview - Review file response

2011-03-18(Day 160): Card production email/text for Green Card!

2011-03-21(Day 163): Welcome to USA letter received

2011-03-22(Day 164): Another text for card production! Start printing GC?

2011-03-23(Day 165): Text/email moving into post decision activity! Mail GC?

2011-03-26(Day 168): GC in hand and done for 3-10 years depending on the citizenship decision...Still unsure!

N400 - Dallas Lock box

2017-02-13(Day 1): Finally made the decision to apply for citizenship. Package went in mail

2017-02-16(Day 4): 1st NOA "went background checks are complete interview will be scheduled" no mention of Biometrics

2017-03-03(Day 15) Biometrics letter arrives scheduled for 2017-03-13 Might try a walk in earlier

please read what i wrote - it is classed as illegal when you dont carry the 'card'. a photocopy wont do......some people risk putting there whole usa life at risk for not carrying it - sheesh, come on people!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

have u actually read this from the USCIS site scotinmass? >>>> If you are a permanent resident age 18 or older, you are required to have a valid green card in your possession at all times <<<<

You may wanna start carrying it because you have been breaking the law!

Yes I know what it says but being forced to carry immigration papers everywhere I go makes it seem like I'm in Nazi Germany.

If you take that instruction literally you presumably take it in the shower with you!

Edited by scotinmass

bostonharborpanoramabyc.jpg

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler

Timeline

please read what i wrote - it is classed as illegal when you dont carry the 'card'. a photocopy wont do......some people risk putting there whole usa life at risk for not carrying it - sheesh, come on people!

Can you quote where you read you will be deported for not carrying a green card?

What about people on non immigrant visas like the K1. What do they have to carry to avoid deportation?

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Can you quote where you read you will be deported for not carrying a green card?

What about people on non immigrant visas like the K1. What do they have to carry to avoid deportation?

If you are on K1 still (like I am) then you are required to carry your passport with I-94 at all times. It's not they will deport you but you can get in trouble for not having valid documentation to show your legal status to be in the US. Really that goes for anyone who enters the US who isn't a citizen. Always required to carry passport.

I-129F Sent: Sometime in February 2012

I-129F NOA1: 13th February 2012

I-129F NOA2: 6th June 2012

P3 Received: 26th June 2012

P3 Sent: 16th August 2012 (delayed by police check)

P4 Received: 23rd August 2012

Visa Interview Date: 9th October 2012 - Approved!

Visa Received: 17th October 2012

POE: 29th October 2012 - DFW - In country!

SSN: 3rd December 2012

AOS filed: 6th December 2012

Bio Appointment: 7th January 2013

Timeline

If you are on K1 still (like I am) then you are required to carry your passport with I-94 at all times. It's not they will deport you but you can get in trouble for not having valid documentation to show your legal status to be in the US. Really that goes for anyone who enters the US who isn't a citizen. Always required to carry passport.

I can foresee no occasion where I would ever be stopped by the federal government and asked to show my green card or my passport so I am not going to carry either unless I am traveling abroad.

A US citizen is not required to carry their passport or birth certificate so if they were stopped and asked to prove their immigration status they wouldn't be able to do so. Requiring some people to carry papers and not others is completely stupid and unworkable unless they are willing to arrest US citizens on the street for not being able to prove their right to be here and that isn't likely to happen!

Timeline

I can foresee no occasion where I would ever be stopped by the federal government and asked to show my green card or my passport so I am not going to carry either unless I am traveling abroad.

A US citizen is not required to carry their passport or birth certificate so if they were stopped and asked to prove their immigration status they wouldn't be able to do so. Requiring some people to carry papers and not others is completely stupid and unworkable unless they are willing to arrest US citizens on the street for not being able to prove their right to be here and that isn't likely to happen!

Well that is up to you but if you are required to prove your right to be here and you don't have the documentation you can be detained and fined. Of course a US citizen isn't required to carry anything, that is a right bestowed on them for being a citizen. If you ever become a US citizen you will likewise no longer be required to carry documentation. But until you are you are required by law to carry your passport and/or green card.

I-129F Sent: Sometime in February 2012

I-129F NOA1: 13th February 2012

I-129F NOA2: 6th June 2012

P3 Received: 26th June 2012

P3 Sent: 16th August 2012 (delayed by police check)

P4 Received: 23rd August 2012

Visa Interview Date: 9th October 2012 - Approved!

Visa Received: 17th October 2012

POE: 29th October 2012 - DFW - In country!

SSN: 3rd December 2012

AOS filed: 6th December 2012

Bio Appointment: 7th January 2013

Timeline

have u actually read this from the USCIS site scotinmass? >>>> If you are a permanent resident age 18 or older, you are required to have a valid green card in your possession at all times <<<<

You may wanna start carrying it because you have been breaking the law!

It IS in my possession at all times, it is just not "on my person" at all times. There is a difference.

Have you ever received or seen a letter saying "We no longer have those documents in our possession"? This doesn't mean they have been walking around with those documents attached to their person, they mean the documents are under their control and able to be accessed if needed.

Another example from a movie or TV or whatever I'm sure you've heard: "You are in possession of stolen good" or "drug paraphernalia" or drug in general. People driving a car where the drugs are in the car are determined to be "in possession" of drugs... yet those drugs are not on their person, simply in their control and able to be accessed. I'm sure you see what I'm saying here.

I choose not to carry it on my person at all times, but I have it safely stored (and therefore still in my possession) if it's ever needed.

Ditto. As stated above, I do not carry the GC on my person, however I proved my status to get my license, I also proved my status to get the conditions removed from my card. Carrying a copy of the GC enables ICE to look me up on their system if needed (via my GC) and confirm that I am still legal. No other LEO is allowed to ask for proof of my status.

My GC is no more than an hour from me at any given time (that's how far I travel for work). It remains "in my possession" as do the other immigration documents, my dogs etc etc. Just not "on my person".

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

You will not be deported for not carrying the card. That is fear-mongering. There MAY be a fine, but as the term "possession" does not mean the same as "on my person" then I have a valid reason to believe that keeping it safe in my possession, but not on my person, is fine.

If you want to get pedantic, people who have been issued GC but they've never arrived, they can't carry the card. They are thus breaking the law by your example. An I-551 stamp is not a "valid green card". It's proof of status, but it's not a GC. Those people too are breaking the law. Someone has the GC stolen and is unable to get to a local office for a week, they are, by your example, breaking the law.

If you want to carry it, carry it. I disagree with your analysis of what "possession" means but people SHOULD be aware that the whole possession thing you quoted exists, and make their decisions accordingly.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.