alundra06

My sister overstayed her Tourist visa

59 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

My sister came to the US on a tourist visa in 2011 and she overstayed.

This morning (As of 11/15/12) Immigration team came to my brother's house to look for her but fortunately or unfortunately she wasn't there because she moved to a different house.

- My question right now is what should we do to prevent her deportation (If this is what's going to happen)?

- Is it safe for her to go out now or should she hide (Which is very bad).

Please advise.

Tell that sister of yours to go back home, the more you stay the more illegal she will be and harder to get a visa in the future...

Peårl £ûvs «Aåmïr»

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

well seems long story short is that your sister is here illegaly that much is established. the correct thing to do is for her to return home. no one can advise you to do anything illegal here but yes she has option to try and stay here illegally but how long you can run and hide? what about her children? its not a good life at least I dont think it is. so yea she goes home or run for rest of her life always wondering when immigration coming for her. you can only advise her and I am almost certain she will stay here no matter what so in the end no advise really gonna matter. good luck.

4027-dil-ko-choo-jaye-gi-shayari-collection-heart_91.gif?d=1205939495

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Togo
Timeline

Ok,you cannot do anything to help your sister.She is illegal immigrant now and the more she stays the more her case is becoming worse.if she is hiding she is just wasting her time because since the immigration is looking for her,she will be put in all agencies watch and she can't do anything outside her hide out place.

Get her some clothes and shoes and others stuff and put her on the plane.she can sell those items while home and get her life back together.

Sorry she ends up this way...

May God Bless Us All In This New World.We All Have Come From Afar And We Need The Lord's Guidance For Success.

NB:I am not an Immigration Attorney, All i say here is based on my personal experiences through K-1 visa process and CR1/IR1 visa process.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

She should leave the country asap. The longer she stays the longer the penalty (ban). Unless she married to a US citizen and they can adjust her status. God speed!!

Picture4.jpg

Picture5.jpg

----------------------------------------

K-1 Journey (I-129F)

09/10/2010 ----- Filing date of I-129 F

09/22/2010 ----- NOA 1

02/22/2011 ----- Case being adjudicated

02/28/2011 ----- RFE, Waiver to file 2nd K-1 petition

03/04/2011 ----- RFE reply sent

03/08/2011 ----- RFE received and being reviewed at USCIS

03/17/2011 ----- NOA2 (I-129F approved)

03/23/2011 ----- NOA2 hard copy received

03/29/2011 ----- NVC received our Case

04/04/2011 ----- NVC letter received and case forwarded to US embassy Manila

04/08/2011 ----- US Embassy Manila received our case (Consulate)

04/15/2011 ----- Paid VISA at BPI

04/16/2011 ----- Received Eligibility Letter from US Embassy Manila dated April 8, 2011

04/25/2011 ----- 1st day of Medical

04/26/2011 ----- 2nd day of Medical (I PASSED!! Thank you Lord!!)

05/13/2011 ----- Interview (221g - Case under Administrative Processing "AP")

08/12/2011 ----- Received an email from the embassy "Case is pending review by a consular officer"

----------------------------------------

My blog: All about my writings and essays

The sister has a ban now and brothers do not qualify to submit the hardship waiver. The sister is toast, by her own bad choices.

If she hasn't committed any crimes, isn't it just a 3 or 10 year ban for overstay? And considering the waiting time is 10 years, it doesn't really matter, right?

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

The sister has a ban now and brothers do not qualify to submit the hardship waiver. The sister is toast, by her own bad choices.

Harpa Timsah....I have a question for you...2 x on this thread someone mentioned a "way" she could stay...legally. FIRST time was post #3. Is it this correct? Even with the over stay?

event.png

event.png

Harpa Timsah....I have a question for you...2 x on this thread someone mentioned a "way" she could stay...legally. FIRST time was post #3. Is it this correct? Even with the over stay?

If she is married to a US citizen she can file for AOS, but doing that now will stink of fraud and raise lots of red flags and immigration may still deny due to fraud.

05/22/2012 - MAILED AOS PACKAGE.
06/04/2012 - RECEIVED NOTICE IN THE MAIL.
06/04/2012 - RECEIVED BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT IN THE MAIL.
06/06/2012 - WALK IN BIOMETRICS COMPLETED.
07/11/2012 - TEXT AND EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS OF I-485 INTERVIEW APPOINTMENT.
07/13/2012 - RECEIVED HARD COPY OF INTERVIEW NOTICE IN THE MAIL.
07/28/2012 - EAD CARD PRODUCTION ORDER.
08/04/2012 - EAD CARD IN HAND.
08/15/2012 - GC INTERVIEW. APPROVED. PASSPORT STAMPED.
08/20/2012 - GC CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED.
08/23/2012 - GC RECEIVED.

06/28/2014 - MAILED I-751 PACKAGE

07/05/2014 - RECEIVED NOA 1

01/15/2016 - Interviewed and Approved.

08/02/2016 - N400 Interviewed and Approved.

If she hasn't committed any crimes, isn't it just a 3 or 10 year ban for overstay? And considering the waiting time is 10 years, it doesn't really matter, right?

Ahh yep, you're right. The wait for the visa and the wait for the ban to be lifted would all happen at the same time.

To iluvnwaiting yes, but personally I think it's odd to mention it, because it smacks of fraud.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

She is 36 and i am pretty sure she didn't do anything to get the immigration attention,I am really surprised why they were looking for her.

My sister is like millions of immigrants she entered this country legally and she wants to start a new life here in the US because i always remember when she first came here during her first visit (She went back to Morocco after the first visit by the way) and she told this is the first time i feel like I am living a respectful life and feel a lot of dignity. so all she needs is living a normal life in this country and be close to her family.

I think your sister is in a bad situation. She is obviously a person of respectable means as she was able to obtain a tourist visa from a high fraud country, meaning she was able to show substantial ties and was allowed entry twice. If she felt as though she was living a respectful life with a lot of dignity why did she ruin it by going out of status? Certainly if she had the means to travel internationally multiple times and her family had successfully and legally immigrated she could figure it out as well. Not much respect and dignity in running from the law. I hope she makes the right decision and leaves on her own instead of being locked up.

Filed: Timeline
1352986057[/url]' post='5824100']

Hello everybody,

This morning (As of 11/15/12) Immigration team came to my brother's house to look for her but fortunately or unfortunately she wasn't there because she moved to a different house.

- My question right now is what should we do to prevent her deportation (If this is what's going to happen)?

- Is it safe for her to go out now or should she hide (Which is very

Now we know why....Morocco is considered one of the highest fraud countries, thanks to your sister not doing the right thing by going back home in the first place, and all the others wanting to get here illegally as well. So frustrating to hear these stories, when so many are trying to come here the legal way and have a good life for themselves and their families.

I have nothing here to say, but good riddance.

Edited by foreverwaiting

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ahh yep, you're right. The wait for the visa and the wait for the ban to be lifted would all happen at the same time.

To iluvnwaiting yes, but personally I think it's odd to mention it, because it smacks of fraud.

That is why I did not write it out like others....but the IRONY...My husband and I went through so much to finally be together and it is directly due to fraud from Morocco before us.

Giving out the extra advice that was not asked for maybe should be curtailed. Just my personal 2 pennies on this subject.

GOD knows I spent enough pennies on this journey. :blink:

OP how can one live with looking over ones shoulder everyday? That cannot be comfortable. GL with your kin's decision I hope you and you family make the right one.

event.png

event.png

Filed: Timeline

She is 36 and i am pretty sure she didn't do anything to get the immigration attention,I am really surprised why they were looking for her.My sister is like millions of immigrants she entered this country legally and she wants to start a new life here in the US because i always remember when she first came here during her first visit (She went back to Morocco after the first visit by the way) and she told this is the first time i feel like I am living a respectful life and feel a lot of dignity. so all she needs is living a normal life in this country and be close to her family.

There are legal means in which to be able to be united with one's family. It's called family reunification and involves an I-130 petition being filed by the alien's spouse, parents, child over 21 or sibling. However, this should have been done before she overstayed her tourist visa.

She did not enter legally to begin a new life in the US, she entered legally as a tourist. Big difference.

How long ago did her I-94 expire? This is the white slip stapled into the back of her passport. It should have a date stamped on it. If this date is more than 180 days ago, but less than a year ago, she only has a 3 year bar. If this date is more than one year ago, she has a 10 year bar from re-entry. This means she cannot be issued a new visa of any kind 3/10 years from the day she leaves the US.

Her only realistic way of staying in the US legally is if she found a US citizen and they ended up getting married. They could then file for adjustment of status, and she would not have to leave the US. However, even if she happened to find the love of her life and they did file for adjustment of status, expect immigration to smell fraud immediately. They may be heavily scrutinized. Entering into a marriage solely for immigration purposes is a felony, punishable by prison for the US citizen, and a lifetime bar for the alien.

I don't know why ICE came looking for her. They don't normally focus on recent visa overstayers, but it doesn't matter. They don't need a reason to, she's already an overstayer so they can look for her for any reason they choose. My best advice; Have her leave ASAP - Before the date on her I-94 passes the one year mark - That'll at least get her bar down to 3 years. Leaving on her own is also a much better option than being removed by ICE.

If she decides to stay illegally, I'm sorry to say she will not have a normal in the US. No social security number, no driver license, no work authorization and ICE will be after her, as it sound slike they already are.

Edited by Jay Jay

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

since immigration is already looking for her , how comfortable can be living and looking over her shoulders everyday. what kind of life is that?

No matter heer situation in Morocco, i do not think you would want her living her life in hidning here either cos that is added pressure on you. Every knock on your door, every phone call every road trip will have you on the edge. so just have her leave now. 10years will go by fast and she can come in legally under your petition for her.

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
1352986057[/url]' post='5824100']

Hello everybody,

- Is it safe for her to go out now or should she hide (Which is very

Now we know why....Morocco is considered one of the highest fraud countries, thanks to your sister not doing the right thing by going back home in the first place, and all the others wanting to get here illegally as well. So frustrating to hear these stories, when so many are trying to come here the legal way and have a good life for themselves and their families.

I have nothing here to say, but good riddance.

That is why I did not write it out like others....but the IRONY...My husband and I went through so much to finally be together and it is directly due to fraud from Morocco before us.

Giving out the extra advice that was not asked for maybe should be curtailed. Just my personal 2 pennies on this subject.

GOD knows I spent enough pennies on this journey. :blink:

OP how can one live with looking over ones shoulder everyday? That cannot be comfortable. GL with your kin's decision I hope you and you family make the right one.

That's right.

Every Moroccan who abuses the visitor visa to illegally live in the US is responsible for keeping Moroccan families apart.

The reason it takes so long and the US Embassy in Morocco is so difficult is because of Moroccans who lie and abuse the US government's hospitality. Why should the US government let Moroccans visit if a significant number choose to immigrate illegally?

If Moroccans did not abuse the visitor visas and all return home, then it would not be an issue for the US government to give out visitor visas to Moroccans.

Same hold true for my home country, Vietnam. If Vietnamese did not abuse the US immigration system, then it would be easier for my family to visit as well. Unfortunately, the Vietnamese have ruined it by committing a high level of fraud.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.