27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Listen to what Vanessa&Tony are saying- adoption is not necessary. If the kids stay in the USA, they will keep their greencards. The parents can sign temporary guardianship over to grandma so she can make medical and schooling decisions while they are away.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

They can get the kids back on legal custody, easily. Adoption, not so easily.

The potential adopter is simply the grandmother of the kids.

You're never beaten until you admit it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The potential adopter is simply the grandmother of the kids.

there is no "simply" she would have no legal requirement to "give the kids back" and if she passed away, why would the government permit them to adopt kids they gave up? The "grandmother" wouldn't be the grandmother. She would be "mom". There would be no more "grandma", it would be "mom".

The government would SEVER the parental rights of your friends. They would need to file more paperwork to "re-adopt" their kids and I'll be honest, I'm not even sure that would be legally possible... or within the best interests of the child to be shuttled between "parents".

It is far less complicated, and far less confusing to their kids, to file for legal custody.

The grandparents could probably legally adopt the kids. It will not help the citizenship process. It also makes no sense if the parents are going to be gone for a year - adopting terminates their rights. That means they will legally no longer be the parents. Ever. They would not be able to easily take the kids back to their country even for visits or be allowed to make legal decisions for them upon their return. Legal guardianship provides the same benefits without severing ties.

Edited by ceadsearc

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

The grandparents could probably legally adopt the kids.

I still hope somebody could direct me to a website where we can get some official information regarding this matter.

Thanks to all for your input.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You would need to appoint a Family Lawyer to guide you through the process, each State will no doubt be it differently.

As it is not immigration related issue this would not be an appropriate source of information.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I still hope somebody could direct me to a website where we can get some official information regarding this matter.

Thanks to all for your input.

You won't find a trustworthy website like that because that's very far from a DIY issue. I suggest you make an appointment with a family law attorney in the state in question. You'll need one anyway to proceed in this matter.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

You won't find a trustworthy website like that because that's very far from a DIY issue. I suggest you make an appointment with a family law attorney in the state in question. You'll need one anyway to proceed in this matter.

I think you are right.

Thanks.

To MOD: Please, close the topic.

Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** closed per OP request ***

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.