10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hi VG Fam, Long time but everything has been wonderful with my liberian queen, and our little baby girl. However, I have a friend who could use some help with a situation I think is serious. She meant a guy and married him, and they've been married for three years, and they have a daughter together. The guy is from Ireland, and now she wants a divorce because she found out the guy mislead her. She found out the guy in question is Gay!!

but he already had a temporary green card that's good for ten years. She doesn'twant anything to do with guy anymore, what can she do, can she cancel the AOS?

Let me know, I know there are a lot of smart people who use this site.

Thanks guys.

Filed: Timeline

Not sure how a temporary card can be for 10 years, I thought they were for 2 years?

Anyways, same answer as always.

Have your friend file for divorce, notify USCIS as to the status and move on with your life.

Not that you're suggesting it but being Gay doesn't carry the social issues of years past so not a reason for fraud, especially seeing that they have a child together.

Best advice to give to your friend is to not get consumed by thoughts of punishing or getting her SPouse deported. Not her job and not going to happen. The time for energy, in my opinion, is before the petition when one can do as much due dilligence as possible.

Good luck to the little Girl on her future.

Timeline

:wow: sorry to hear about her disappointment.

A 10 year green card was issued so nothing can be done except that she moves on with her life.

Petitioner LPR upgraded to USC June 22, 2012
August 22, 2012: case complete
October 18, 2012: Interview (APPROVED)
October 26, 2012: Picked up visa from DHL (delay caused by Sandy)
December 15, 2012: POE Atlanta....................became USC July 2016!!!!

Mothers' Journey (My sister is the petitioner)

September 10, 2013: Sent I-130 (UPS next day service)

September 12, 2013: Received text to confirm delivery

September 16, 2013: Received NOA 1

March 22, 2014: Received NOA 2

April 8, 2014: File Received by NVC

May 26, 2015: Interview (approved)..........now LPR (delays caused by 2 RFE)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

-Gowon-

May I email you? or you email me??

Not sure how a temporary card can be for 10 years, I thought they were for 2 years?

Anyways, same answer as always.

Have your friend file for divorce, notify USCIS as to the status and move on with your life.

Not that you're suggesting it but being Gay doesn't carry the social issues of years past so not a reason for fraud, especially seeing that they have a child together.

Best advice to give to your friend is to not get consumed by thoughts of punishing or getting her SPouse deported. Not her job and not going to happen. The time for energy, in my opinion, is before the petition when one can do as much due dilligence as possible.

Good luck to the little Girl on her future.

-Met in Ghana August 2011

-Went back to Ghana April 2012

-Went back to Ghana December 2012

-Married to the man God created just for me on January 4th, 2013.

-Filed the CR-1 in February 2013

-Petition Transfered from National Benefits Center to Texas Service Center October 2013

-Petition APPROVED January 2014 (*Took 10 Months 19 Calendar Days)

-Case Number/Invoice Identification Number Assigned February 2014 (*Took 33 Calendar Days)

-Approved Interview May 2014

-Arrival May 2014

Now, We are Prayerfully taking everything 1 day at a time. Thanking God for his blessings and grace.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

There is not much your friend can do…. As suggest file for divorce and notify USCIS and move on.

Having a kid with your friend would make it difficult to prove he is gay….. unless you have s solid evidence of something that he just married to obtain the GC and citizenship.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

People's sexuality is a complicated thing. The fact that the two of them have a daughter together suggests that their marriage was genuine, not deliberate fraud. Things happen and marriages often don't work out. People struggle with their sexuality for years before they figure out what they really want. I'm sorry it didn't work out for them, but there's no point in trying to punish him for not being what she wanted him to be.

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi VG Fam, Long time but everything has been wonderful with my liberian queen, and our little baby girl. However, I have a friend who could use some help with a situation I think is serious. She meant a guy and married him, and they've been married for three years, and they have a daughter together. The guy is from Ireland, and now she wants a divorce because she found out the guy mislead her. She found out the guy in question is Gay!!

but he already had a temporary green card that's good for ten years. She doesn'twant anything to do with guy anymore, what can she do, can she cancel the AOS?

Let me know, I know there are a lot of smart people who use this site.

Thanks guys.

There is nothing she can do about his green card.

By the way, it is not a "temporary green card that's good for ten years." It is a regular good old green card. Even if it is expired, he still keeps his status as a Legal Permanent Resident.

Also, AOS ended when he first got his conditional green card. She can't stop what has already ended. AOS is irrelevant at this point.

After 15 years of marriage, a friend of mine told his wife that he wanted a divorce because he realized that he was gay. It happens. It's not fraud. It's like others have posted, a difficult situation where a person is grappling with his sexuality.

Divorce and move on.

Timeline

There is nothing she can do about his green card.

By the way, it is not a "temporary green card that's good for ten years." It is a regular good old green card. Even if it is expired, he still keeps his status as a Legal Permanent Resident.

Also, AOS ended when he first got his conditional green card. She can't stop what has already ended. AOS is irrelevant at this point.

After 15 years of marriage, a friend of mine told his wife that he wanted a divorce because he realized that he was gay. It happens. It's not fraud. It's like others have posted, a difficult situation where a person is grappling with his sexuality.

Divorce and move on.

Just a correction here, I believe the OP is referring to the "Affidavit of Support" so saying the "AOS ended when he got his conditional greencard" in that context wouldn't be correct.

-- OP - The Affidavit of Support (I-864) is legally binding. She cannot cancel it. The ONLY chance to cancel it was before he ever got his first greencard. I doubt he lied to her on purpose while having a child with her. I agree with everyone else that said, he was probably fighting his feelings. I know a guy that didn't realise he was gay until he was about 20. He just never thought about it. He'd had a girlfriend but didn't realise the lack of attraction to her was because he was gay, he just thought it was about her. He didn't realise he was gay until he met a guy and fell in love.

Timeline

I'm assuming, that this revelation of her husband being 'gay' was based on a confession? which most likely came from many months or even years of no physical intimacy, and the relationship was most likely, more friendship, than a marriage? If not.. then while she might not be comfortable with his sexual orientations, and choose not to continue their marriage based on this, labeling him as 'gay' and 'a fraud' is a fairly strong assumption.

N400

08 Mar 20: N400 filed online

14 Mar 20: Biometrics scheduled for 31 March - cancelled due to Covid19 shutdown.  

16 Dec 20: Biometrics

12 Feb 21: Interview (approved)

24 Feb 21: Oath Ceremony

ROC

31 Jul 15: ROC (I-751) sent

19 Jan 16: Greencard received

AOS

26 Feb 13: AOS (I-485, I-131, I-765) sent

06 Mar 13: NOA1's received

03 Apr 13: Biometrics completed

12 Sept 13: Interview - Memphis, approved!

Sept 13: Greencard received.

California Service Centre

17 May 12: I-129f sent

23 May 12: NOA1

20 Aug 12: NOA2 (89 days)

20 Nov 12: Interview in Sydney

29 Nov 12: Visa Issued

05 Dec 12: POE Honolulu

20 Dec 12: Wedding day

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.