L & J

personal opinion

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi,

I just wonder why all this process is so complicated, long and stressful. We are in 21 century now, but still keep toturing people. I heard that USCIS made it so difficult because they want to prevent marriage frauds. I don't know if it helped them do that but the fact is that all this process really complicates the life of honest innocent people who just want to be together. And every time when u are filling in another form u r so afraid and worried over each word and it sometimes makes u feel like a real criminal, though u r clean. And then when u send ur papers u start worrying even more because it takes a while until u get a response from USCIS. And u start thinking something went wrong. meanwhile people who really intend to do smth illegal know how to do it and i guess even USCIS strict rules won't stop them. My point is it shouldn't be this way. Why don't the authorities focus more on catching real criminals rather than giving headache to honest people who obey the laws.

I am reading peoples' topics in this forum and i can't believe how they keep us all worried and stressed. maybe there will be a day when people unite and say enough is enough and will start fighting for their human rights against all this paperwork system. Basically we fight for our love trying to prove to somebody that we are not criminals and that we are normal people and deserve to be together. Isn't it rediculous? But i guess this is life.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from K1 Process & Procedures to General Immigration-Related Discussion.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I know what you say but that's how things work. Unfortunately as long as people cheats on immigrations process things are going to get harder and harder. USCIS staff are not fortune tellers, I bet they want it to be less stressful for them and for us, but there are people outhere willing to do whatever it takes to have a visa or a legal residency here, even if that means cheating and lying to the US.

I dont blame USCIS at all... and its awful cause we are the ones who paid for other mistakes. But let me tell you soemthing, if you are doing things right you shouldnt be afraid of anything. Read the guides, follow instructions and be patient.

And also remember, everytime they granted a visa to a foreing they are taking a risk. After sept 11, homeland security, took the serious job of protect the borders from possibles terrorist, and for them all of us are suspects. That's why they need this process to make sure that the people who are getting any kind of visas, are not a thread for the country and their citizens. USCIS CANNOT shut the borders but at least they need to make sure who is entering to the country.

Edited by Andrea&Henry

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

I just wonder why all this process is so complicated, long and stressful. We are in 21 century now, but still keep toturing people. I heard that USCIS made it so difficult because they want to prevent marriage frauds. I don't know if it helped them do that but the fact is that all this process really complicates the life of honest innocent people who just want to be together. And every time when u are filling in another form u r so afraid and worried over each word and it sometimes makes u feel like a real criminal, though u r clean. And then when u send ur papers u start worrying even more because it takes a while until u get a response from USCIS. And u start thinking something went wrong. meanwhile people who really intend to do smth illegal know how to do it and i guess even USCIS strict rules won't stop them. My point is it shouldn't be this way. Why don't the authorities focus more on catching real criminals rather than giving headache to honest people who obey the laws.

I am reading peoples' topics in this forum and i can't believe how they keep us all worried and stressed. maybe there will be a day when people unite and say enough is enough and will start fighting for their human rights against all this paperwork system. Basically we fight for our love trying to prove to somebody that we are not criminals and that we are normal people and deserve to be together. Isn't it rediculous? But i guess this is life.

Canada's system is similar the US, and recently they started the expelling process for fraudulent immigrants that number in the thousands. IOW, there is a lot of fraud going on everywhere, so they have to be careful.

That being said, I agree with you, it should not be this difficult in the 21st century.

For example (based on my experience with a CR1 Visa)

You should be able to do most all of this electronically. (I've been a professional computer programmer for over 25 years... this is possible with today's technology)

If I were the fat cat at the top of the US Immigration business (and believe me... it is truly a business) here is what the system would look like:

Phase I

1. An immigration applicant would start off the process by creating an account on the master NVC Webserver selecting the type of Visa you need. It could even make recommendations as to what type may work best for your situation.

2. An NVC Case number is created on the spot, and that along with your user account information, and password will let you continue the process.

3. The I-130 form is filled out on-line, and each of the documents you need to submit are requested and you have to upload them into your case file as PDF files (scanned documents).

4. Once all the documents are submitted, and before they are verified by anyone, the system will present you with all of the bills (invoices).

5. Once you have paid all of them (electronically of course), you can press the Submit for Review button.

6. So far, you could have completed all of this in a few hours. No lock boxes, or mailing, or anything so far.

7. The Website will automatically direct your case to the proper USCIS functional / contracted area for processing, and it will send back RFEs if needed. Note, the documents are NEVER mailed... all is done electronically.

8. Once the USCIS contractor or smart system has authenticated and approved the I-130, your case is directed to the NVC for its double checks. Again the data never moved anywhere... still sitting on the master NVC secured server cloud.

9. Once NVC's staff or smart system approves your data, it is automatically scheduled to the correct Embassy based on that Embassy's allotment criteria.

10. You would be requested to bring all the original material with you to the physical interview.

Phase II

Next I would merge the USCIS and NVC groups and remove the entire redirecting process. A single entity would perform document authentication, approving the I-130, 260, etc all the way to releasing for the automated interview selection.

Phase III - Since I am the fat cat at the top and this is a business , I would work with the international immigration community to require all Passports to become Smartcard capable. The Green card, Work Visa, Student Visa or any other kind of visa would be electronically applied to your passport at the end of the interview (if you passed).

I believe this fictional process would shed 90% of the time and frustration in this process for the client, reduce the staff needed at USCIS and NVC (mail handling, etc), and shed the cost of USCIS bulk mailing tons of paper documents each month. This process would not be any more effective or restrictive in fraud detection than the current process. It would make the Immigration business more profitable, reduce the time to legitimately immigrate, and make its paying customers much happier.

For those of you that argue the current process prevents terrorists and fraud. May I remind you that between 400,000 to 500,000 illegal immigrants enter the US every year. A terrorist isn't going to put him or herself through this process when there are much easier ways to get people and materials into this country. The INS process is not intended to stop terrorists. It does not even do a good job of preventing fraud according to recent statistics that states it is costing the USA $23 million each year due to immigration fraud.

They can and should move the process into the modern era of data processing, and consider that any couple willing to put themselves through all of this hell and frustration must have genuine good intentions.

Sorry for the long commentary to such a simple question

yes, it's a pity they don't take into consideration applicants suggestions and don't try to make the process a bit easier for us. thanks for all the comments. I guess we just must keep the faith and wait and wait and wait

They do take suggestions from regular people. Periodically they have scheduled input sessions, online, over the phone, via mail, and you can say something. Go to their website and look at "outreach" There are multiple opportunities. Here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=ea015fc544007210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=ea015fc544007210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
USCIS CANNOT shut the borders
CBP does this
but at least they need to make sure who is entering to the country
The consulates do this.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

You should be able to do most all of this electronically. (I've been a professional computer programmer for over 25 years... this is possible with today's technology)

If I were the fat cat at the top of the US Immigration business (and believe me... it is truly a business) here is what the system would look like:

Phase I

1. An immigration applicant would start off the process by creating an account on the master NVC Webserver selecting the type of Visa you need. It could even make recommendations as to what type may work best for your situation.

2. An NVC Case number is created on the spot, and that along with your user account information, and password will let you continue the process.

3. The I-130 form is filled out on-line, and each of the documents you need to submit are requested and you have to upload them into your case file as PDF files (scanned documents).

4. Once all the documents are submitted, and before they are verified by anyone, the system will present you with all of the bills (invoices).

5. Once you have paid all of them (electronically of course), you can press the Submit for Review button.

6. So far, you could have completed all of this in a few hours. No lock boxes, or mailing, or anything so far.

7. The Website will automatically direct your case to the proper USCIS functional / contracted area for processing, and it will send back RFEs if needed. Note, the documents are NEVER mailed... all is done electronically.

8. Once the USCIS contractor or smart system has authenticated and approved the I-130, your case is directed to the NVC for its double checks. Again the data never moved anywhere... still sitting on the master NVC secured server cloud.

9. Once NVC's staff or smart system approves your data, it is automatically scheduled to the correct Embassy based on that Embassy's allotment criteria.

10. You would be requested to bring all the original material with you to the physical interview.

Phase II

Next I would merge the USCIS and NVC groups and remove the entire redirecting process. A single entity would perform document authentication, approving the I-130, 260, etc all the way to releasing for the automated interview selection.

Phase III - Since I am the fat cat at the top and this is a business , I would work with the international immigration community to require all Passports to become Smartcard capable. The Green card, Work Visa, Student Visa or any other kind of visa would be electronically applied to your passport at the end of the interview (if you passed).

I believe this fictional process would shed 90% of the time and frustration in this process for the client, reduce the staff needed at USCIS and NVC (mail handling, etc), and shed the cost of USCIS bulk mailing tons of paper documents each month. This process would not be any more effective or restrictive in fraud detection than the current process. It would make the Immigration business more profitable, reduce the time to legitimately immigrate, and make its paying customers much happier.

For those of you that argue the current process prevents terrorists and fraud. May I remind you that between 400,000 to 500,000 illegal immigrants enter the US every year. A terrorist isn't going to put him or herself through this process when there are much easier ways to get people and materials into this country. The INS process is not intended to stop terrorists. It does not even do a good job of preventing fraud according to recent statistics that states it is costing the USA $23 million each year due to immigration fraud.

They can and should move the process into the modern era of data processing, and consider that any couple willing to put themselves through all of this hell and frustration must have genuine good intentions.

You are obviously confusing two different agencies - you send I-130 petition to USCIS (falls under DHS) and only once that is approved can it make its way to NVC (which belongs to Department of State). So, two different entities are involved but they do communicate with each other. I don't ever see two separate programs running concurrently - USCIS needs their time to do their background checks and adjudication and NVC needs their time do gather all other documents needed for immigrant visa processing. NVC is getting more high tech in that you can email some documents vs sending them snail mail.

If you do want to make a change and if you're a USC, go to usajobs.gov and see what they have under USCIS.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

A triage system would work, easy to the front, fraud out, and the middle needs to be workout.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Hi,

I hear you...

In spite of all that, I followed the rules and instructions very carefully and my now wife got her visa with absolutely no problems. And this out of Guayaquil, a very tough consulate.

Understand there will always be scammers, you just have to play by the rules and you'll be fine.

Fernando & Michelle

12/05/2011 - Mailed I-129F
12/09/2011 - Received NOA1
12/21/2011 - Last updated by USCIS
04/12/2012 - Approved!
05/08/2012 - NVC received
05/09/2012 - Left NVC
05/14/2012 - Received at Consulate
06/25/2012 - Interview at Consulate, APPROVED!!!!
07/07/2012 - POE at JFK, easy.

09/28/2012 - Mailed I-485
11/09/2012 - Appointment for Biometrics
12/08/2012 - EAD and AP Card arrived in mail. No updates to USCIS website.
07/26/2013 - Approved, no interview.

04/30/2015 - Mailed I-751

06/03/2015 - Appointment for Biometrics

02/29/2016 - Approved, no interview.

03/14/2016 - Received 10-year Card

Hi,

Sometimes I feel like crying just thinking about the process.. I'm working on my packet 3 at the moment. I always think of the worse happening at my interview. My American fiance and I hired a lawyer, and he (lawyer) is lazy I find : \ Anyway, I think my fiance and I will be reunited after an ENTIRE year since he visited me :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Canada's system is similar the US, and recently they started the expelling process for fraudulent immigrants that number in the thousands. IOW, there is a lot of fraud going on everywhere, so they have to be careful.

That being said, I agree with you, it should not be this difficult in the 21st century.

For example (based on my experience with a CR1 Visa)

Phase I

Phase II

I like your fat cat proposal. Although it would take years to implement, it's definitely something that should be explored despite our huge deficit. I think even if they charge an extra $50 per application to fund such a project, people will still pay the money because they want to be with their loved ones. Being a part of this process makes me wish I could do something to impact some form of change... For certain the system needs fixing.

Edited by islandgal

K1
VSC NOA1 --- March 8, 2012
NOA2 --- October 11, 2012
Visa Approved --- December 17, 2012
POE --- December 22, 2012

AOS
AOS/EAD/AP NOA1 --- March 4, 2013
Biometrics --- April 3, 2013

EAD/AP received --- May 16, 2013

AOS Interview --- August 9, 2013

GC in production --- August 9, 2013

GC received --- August 17, 2013

N400

Approved May, 2018

Oath May, 2018

I130 - Nebraska SC

NOA1 - August 30, 2018

Case approved - August 28, 2019

NVC -

Interview -

I am the USC who brought my fiancé here on a K1,  who's now a USC and is now filing for his mother - whose case just got approved :)

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

How can the employees of the USCIS distinguish between the real (law abiding citizens) from the criminals (trying to get fraudulent marital Visas)? I suppose there're NEVER anyone in the past who attempted to put up a few years with a USC so he/she can come to the US via a spousal Visa and immediately filed for divorce once the permanent residency had been established.

And by the way, there're millions of Americans available for your love here in the USA. Please don't tell us that you just simply can't find one suitable for your love need. It's your option to go overseas looking for love. But expect the US gov't to spend its time and effort making sure that person (whose love for you is real or not) not laughing at the Us govt and saying "Gee, that country is such moron! They can't tell the difference b/w real love and fake one"

Edited by TBcolosis

yes, it's a pity they don't take into consideration applicants suggestions and don't try to make the process a bit easier for us. thanks for all the comments. I guess we just must keep the faith and wait and wait and wait

BECAUSE EVERY SYSTEM CHANGE AND ENCHANCEMENT COST MONEY. SHOULD THE AMERICAN PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT TRYING TO BRING SOMEONE THRU THE IMMIGRATION CHNANELS PAY FOR YOUR WANTS.

So who should pay for these 21st century chnages, are you willing to pay $10,000 o have your application processed?

I truly believe it is hard for a country to decide who can be here and who can't. While all of us here, with true relationship, want to make this process faster, I understand why it's not. It's not comforting and it doesn't make it easier to take. It just is what it is. Life isn't fair.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.