lilQueenP

Do relationships survive this?

48 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Don't get me wrong, my guy & I are doing great, but we haven't had the wait or the obstacles of some of the couples I've seen on here. Do things get easier when the fiance gets here? Can people talk about their post-entry experiences?

2011 - Met online
2012/05/03 - Started "Dating"
2012/06/27-07/16 -
Met in Haiti/got engaged
2012/08/20 - I-129F Sent
2012/08/28-09/05 -
Second trip to Haiti
2012/08/28 - I-129F NOA1
2012/08/29 - Check Cashed
2012/08/31 - NOA1 Hard Copy Received
2012/09/05 - NOA2 (I-129F)
2012/09/10 - Emailed U.S. Embassy in Haiti for Packet 3.
2012/09/10 - NVC Received
2012/09/10 - NOA2 Hard-Copy
2012/09/11 - Called NVC to check status, told fiance's DOB is wrong, but it's right on both application forms. They said send birth cert & passport.
2012/09/13 - Submitted DS-156 online & printed copies (& emailed to both of us).
2012/09/14 - Emailed scanned copies of original application, birth cert & passport to NVC.
2012/09/14 - Called & insisted they fix THEIR mistake. Message forwarded to supervisor. Got an email within 30 minutes; fixed! Called & confirmed.
2012/09/19 - Still in AP (Administrative/Additional Processing)... waiting...
2012/09/25 - Left NVC
2013/01/08/18 -
Third trip to Haiti
2013/01/17 - K1 Visa Denied (he had been given a fake death certificate for his first wife who was killed in the 2010 earthquake)
2013/03/05-20 -
Fourth trip to Haiti
2013/03/14 - Got Married in Port au Prince

2013/08/11-22 - Fifth trip to Haiti

2014/01/26-02/12 - Sixth trip to Haiti

2014/03/12-15 - Seventh trip to Haiti

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

No one can predict the future. If you have a strong relationship and no doubts and you have explained your fiancé how difficult will be for him to move to a different country, then you should be OK. There are always going to be obstacles in any relationship, just be patient with one another. The move to America will be difficult and hard on both of you. Just understand and be there for your significant other.

MERIC

K1 VISA PROCESS ROC PROCESS

12/06/11: I129F sent 05/01/15: ROC pack sent via Fedex
12/13/11: text received with receipt number 05/04/15: ROC delivered to VSC
12/16/11: NOA1 received
12/21/11: Touched!!!
06/06/12: NOA2 text and e-mail
06/18/12: NVC received our file (12 days since NOA2 e-mail)
06/19/12: file sent to the embassy in Lima
06/21/12: NOA2 hard copy. Finally!!! (15 days since approval e-mail)
06/21/12: Case at the embassy in Lima
07/09/12: Packet 4 received
07/23/12: Medical
08/08/12: Interview at the Embassy in Lima: APPROVED!!!!
08/15/12: Visa in hand
08/19/12: POE Atlanta (took 15 minutes)
08/20/12: Applied for marriage license
08/25/12: Official engagement party with my parents
08/28/12: MARRIAGE!!!

AOS PROCESS

09/04/12: SSN Application
09/11/12: SSN card received
09/14/12: AOS Combo pack sent via Fedex
09/17/12: AOS package received and signed by L. Martinez
09/19/12: E-mail notification with 3 receipt numbers of AOS Combo pack
09/24/12: NOA1 for GC,EAD,AP received
10/24/12: Biometrics appointment
11/28/12: EAD and AP card on production
12/07/12: EAD and AP card received

07/29/13: Green Card/document production (10 months and 12 days)

an1cMjYVM2J0010OXNsenwwMDAwMTNkYXxjYXNhZ
as1cEXUNw3-0000MDAwMTUwbHwwMDAxMzk4bHxlb

"Por fin juntos y finalmente casados amor de mi vida, my soulmate"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Moved to Moving Here and Your New Life In America, from K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Process & Procedures as this question is about after POE and is better suited for this forum.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

That is a good question. We are only in the beginning of our journey and it is taking me forever to go back to US. I wonder if this will affect our relationship at some point.

It would be really nice to hear someone's experience on this.

98040280.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Get the book "Culture Shock USA". It is available on Amazon.com for under $10 and will help the immigrating spouse get an idea of what to expect. Very informative.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

It depends on MANY things. The 50% answer above is a bit depressing :wacko: I will say, talking on Skype, email and short visits is a lot different than living with a person 24/7. Life is a gamble and I am glad I did what I have done :thumbs:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

It depends on MANY things. The 50% answer above is a bit depressing :wacko: I will say, talking on Skype, email and short visits is a lot different than living with a person 24/7. Life is a gamble and I am glad I did what I have done :thumbs:

Actually the 50% divorce rate is not accurate... often given and assumed to be true... Divorce in the USA

Edited by OnMyWayID

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

We feel that the entire immigration process has helped us work and grow together . That being said, it all hasn't been a bed of roses, but then again it all hasn't been a crown of thorns either. Like anything worthwhile, it takes a lot of continuous work, commitment, tolerance and understanding. :yes:

YMMV

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

It's tough to be sure. I was fortunate to visit my wife 8 times in the last two years so we spent a lot of time together. During the last two visits we spent a lot of time talking about the transition from her country to the U.S. and that the U.S. is not what a lot of people perceive it to be. Before she got here I scouted the local markets (Vitnamese) that carried Thai food. I bought her the cooking utensils that she would need to make her Thai dishes and a big rice cooker. She's been here two weeks now and all is good but, I work all day and she doesn't have a license to drive nor any friends near by so it can get boring at times. I've brought her to the office with a couple of times and she seemed to enjoy seeing what I do. I got her an iPad so she can chat with her friends and be on facebook. She's mastered the washing machine, dryer and dish washer and enjoys taking care of the house. I've had some killer Thai meals too! She misses home, her dog and her family and I know that. She calls them about every other day to just to check in. So far so good, I am very in love with her and she is very loving and affectionate to me. We might still be in the "honeymoon" phase but we are both committed to making it work and enjoy our life together. Good luck to you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Don't get me wrong, my guy & I are doing great, but we haven't had the wait or the obstacles of some of the couples I've seen on here. Do things get easier when the fiance gets here? Can people talk about their post-entry experiences?

You forget all about the wait and get on with life, which is far more challenging

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Statistically 50% will end up in divorce court.

Trying to see the glass half full: I would be curious to see how many "all American" couples end up in divorce court, too. Probably more than 50%.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

It is tough for sure but we are totally thankful to God cause this journey make us stronger not only as a person but as a couple. I came here 5 month ago and I can express how happy I am with my husband and my new life. For me' it's really hard to believe that some people who came here with k1 visas are getting divorce and going back home within 4 o 5 month later. Coming here to the US is NOT an easy journey, leaving your country, your loveones, your job, friends, your whole culture is really really hard and I think being "home sick" is one of the biggest reason why people decide to quit everything and go back home. That's why having a strong relationship with your belove is so important. My now husband is my rock, my best friend. Hemade me feel totally save and love since the first second i touch america. I was scared, anxious and he worked hard to make sure i had everything I need to start our new life. There were nights when I fell sleep crying cause I was missing my parents and sibling but he stayed awake and confort me. Also, he spends most of his time with me, taking me to museums, parties, malls, movies, meet his friends etc etc so I dont get bored easily. The thing is, that having a strong, close relationship is the key of this journey. It's really sad, see people here failing when they are so close to make. Once you get here, spend quality time with your boyfriend, it is your time to have a nice and normal relationship without forgetting all the things you need to go throught. That was my biggest lesson....never take him for granted! And the things you need to work your as...off are the better ones :) . So my advice would be, stay strong, be patient and once you'll get here, be happy Be very happy as you can be...never be afraid of sharing your feelings, your sadness,myour happiness..cause let me tell you, there would be many feelings while your adjusting, a lot of them not so pretty, but this is the time to proof how strong you are as a couple. Besides that, just be happy and enjoy every single second with him

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.