hkl

Vaccination Requirement Waiver

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I strongly believe vaccinations are harmful to your overall health. I would not like to expose my fiancee to that. Has anyone applied for a Vaccination Requirement Waiver? How did it go?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The vaccinations are a requirement to enter the Country. I dont know how successful you will be at dodging that requirement. Good luck to you.

08/01/12-Married08/17/12-Applied for Social Security Card09/23/12-Husband received his Social Security card!09/27/12-Filed AOS09/28/12-AOS package received10/01/12-Text message from USCIS10/03/12-Check cashed10/09/12-NOA1 for I485,I765,I131 AND Biometrics Appointment Letter10/24/12-Biometrics Appointment12/11/12-EAD and AP Approved-75 days12/14/12-EAD/AP Card Production ordered12/21/12-EAD/AP Card came in the mail06/22/13-Green Card Approved06/27/13-Greed Card Production Ordered06/29/13-Green Card came in the mail<p>

04/09/15-Mailed ROC

04/10/2015-Package received

04/14/2015-Check cashed

06/02/2015-Called Service Center (still no NOA1) Service request found out wrong address on paperwork! :(

06/03/2015-Called to get address updated Ar11 online add change didnt work-got infopass for June 10th

06/10/2015-Went to info pass appt. Hubby got a 1yr. Extension stamp in his passport and biometrics done

08/12/2015-ROC Approved. Got letter in the mail.

08/29/2015-received new card in the mail.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I am fairly sure the vaccinations are a requirement; meant to protect the USC's from diseases that are almost no existent in the US but may still be prevalent in other parts of the world.

Your fiancée will only need age appropriate vaccines :)

Good luck trying to get a waiver, though I doubt the USCIS will risk the health of US citizens for a foreigner attempting to emigrate.

I do hope you don't have to compromise your individual beliefs.

Edited by Xanax

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I strongly believe vaccinations are harmful to your overall health. I would not like to expose my fiancee to that. Has anyone applied for a Vaccination Requirement Waiver? How did it go?

If your fiancee has never had a vaccination, it is most likely acceptable. If he had a flu shot, or any vaccinations associated with employment, there is a chance that it will be denied. The key thing to remember, that it is your fiancee's conviction and/or religious beliefs, not yours.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I thought for K1 its not a requirement until AOS? But is it really that big of a deal? Im sure you were vaccinated as a child and you've made it this far.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

United States immigration law requires immigrant visa applicants to obtain certain vaccinations prior to the issuance of an immigrant visa. Panel physicians who conduct medical examinations of immigrant visa applicants are required to verify that immigrant visa applicants have met the vaccination requirements, or that it is medically inappropriate for the visa applicant. This is not for you to decide.

Edited by djricky4

AOS

10/16/2012 Mailed I-485, I-765, I-131
10/19/2012 NOA1
11/09/2012 Biometrics Apt @ 3pm
12/25/2012 EAD/AP Approval
01/05/2013 Received EAD/AP in mail

06/20/2013 AOS APPROVED!!!!!

LIFTING OF CONDITIONS

3/23/15 Mailed I-751

3/25/15 NOA1

3/28/15 NOA1 Received in the Mail

4/28/15 Biometrics Apt.

11/13/15 ROC Approved

11/18/15 Approval Letter Received

As a natural health care practitioner, the vaccine requirements kill me too. I do not get vaccines and hate that my soon-to-be-family will be getting them (especially the same vaccine that caused lifetime injuries to me at age 18). I have heard there's a waiver, but it adds months to your process, and that there is a good chance they will deny the waiver. It's hard to get a waiver for vaccines in most states, so it's understandable that it would be worse on the federal level. I do understand why the US has the requirement, and am looking at it as a small hurdle to get into the country. Once he and the kids are here, we'll discuss what we'll do with the family going forward. If he wants to continue to vaccinate him and his boys for life, then it's a decision I will agree with. But I'll continue to laugh at the health department every year when they call me asking if I've had my flu shot :)

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
~~Albert Schweitzer

8lrSm4.png
Meg and Alan

Initially filed for K1 visa - Feb 23 2012

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we've abandoned this application

We married on Aug 24, 2013 in a small ceremony in MA

We'll be applying for a CR1 / IR1 visa as soon as we are able

Watch this space for updates!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I don't think we've had anyone here on VJ who has been successful with the waiver in my 5 years on here.

To be fair, many decide it's not worth even trying as it cost quite a bit of money and months to adjudicate, so most people end up getting the vax anyways- especially because if you have had childhood vax, chances are you don;t need anymore, other than possible a tetanus booster.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I thought for K1 its not a requirement until AOS? But is it really that big of a deal? Im sure you were vaccinated as a child and you've made it this far.

You are correct. Vaccinations are not required for a K-1 to enter the US. They are required for AOS. Some countries still require the vaccinations anyway at the K-1 medical, and some countries do not. As far as filing for AOS, it is better to have them all done and marked off on the DS-3025 at the time of the K-1 medical. This is because it can be difficult to find a civil surgeon in the US that will not insist on giving another full medical(and overcharging) that is not needed.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

A waiver is possible, just like it's possible to waive the requirement for the i-129f of having met once within the last 2 years. The likelyhood of waiving the requirement is a different matter.

Personally, I'd say the vaccinations aren't to protect you as an immigrant, it's to protect US citizens from communicable diseases. When your religion prohibits vaccinations, then there might be a chance. Certain vaccinations are also required when kids start school btw - to protect the surroundings.

Please view this topic; http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/325201-vaccination-waived/

And this; http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/269164-form-i-601-for-religious-objection-to-vaccines/

Bear in mind that some of the people posting here(as well as anywhere else on other forums) hardly ever come back with the result. I take it as a sign of the waiver being denied, or simply changing their minds.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

That was my understanding too.

2011 - Met online
2012/05/03 - Started "Dating"
2012/06/27-07/16 -
Met in Haiti/got engaged
2012/08/20 - I-129F Sent
2012/08/28-09/05 -
Second trip to Haiti
2012/08/28 - I-129F NOA1
2012/08/29 - Check Cashed
2012/08/31 - NOA1 Hard Copy Received
2012/09/05 - NOA2 (I-129F)
2012/09/10 - Emailed U.S. Embassy in Haiti for Packet 3.
2012/09/10 - NVC Received
2012/09/10 - NOA2 Hard-Copy
2012/09/11 - Called NVC to check status, told fiance's DOB is wrong, but it's right on both application forms. They said send birth cert & passport.
2012/09/13 - Submitted DS-156 online & printed copies (& emailed to both of us).
2012/09/14 - Emailed scanned copies of original application, birth cert & passport to NVC.
2012/09/14 - Called & insisted they fix THEIR mistake. Message forwarded to supervisor. Got an email within 30 minutes; fixed! Called & confirmed.
2012/09/19 - Still in AP (Administrative/Additional Processing)... waiting...
2012/09/25 - Left NVC
2013/01/08/18 -
Third trip to Haiti
2013/01/17 - K1 Visa Denied (he had been given a fake death certificate for his first wife who was killed in the 2010 earthquake)
2013/03/05-20 -
Fourth trip to Haiti
2013/03/14 - Got Married in Port au Prince

2013/08/11-22 - Fifth trip to Haiti

2014/01/26-02/12 - Sixth trip to Haiti

2014/03/12-15 - Seventh trip to Haiti

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline

That was my understanding too.

Different consulates have different requirements regarding the vaccination issue for K1. For example, I have read that in the Philippines, you are going to get all of required vaccines. No discussion. Additionally, I have read in Mexico, that some rarely get any prior to issuance of K1. Regardless of that fact, once you marry and file adjustment of status, the vaccinations will be required. So, all you are doing is buying a little time with that thought process.

Xanax made a good point about the fact that immigration is a privilege and not a right. With that privilege comes the requirements of vaccinations. Until the law changes, and I don't see that happening anytime soon, it is something that must be dealt with.

If the laws and requirements of the United States do not set well with anyone, then maybe the US isn't for them. We are a highly regulated society and that isn't going to change anytime soon. Whether that is good or bad another topic of discussion.

Filed: Timeline

Different consulates have different requirements regarding the vaccination issue for K1. For example, I have read that in the Philippines, you are going to get all of required vaccines. No discussion. Additionally, I have read in Mexico, that some rarely get any prior to issuance of K1. Regardless of that fact, once you marry and file adjustment of status, the vaccinations will be required. So, all you are doing is buying a little time with that thought process.

Xanax made a good point about the fact that immigration is a privilege and not a right. With that privilege comes the requirements of vaccinations. Until the law changes, and I don't see that happening anytime soon, it is something that must be dealt with.

If the laws and requirements of the United States do not s(i)t well with anyone, then maybe the US isn't for them. We are a highly regulated society and that isn't going to change anytime soon. Whether that is good or bad another topic of discussion.

I actually agree with this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.