mounir412

‘Anti-Islam’ film spurs U.S. embassy, consulate attacks in Cairo, Benghazi

260 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Interesting new info coming out...

U.S. Suspects Libya Attack Was Planned

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration suspects that the fiery attack in Libya that killed the American ambassador and three other diplomats may have been planned rather than a spontaneous mob getting out of control, American officials said Wednesday.

Officials in Washington studying the events of the past 24 hours have focused on the differences between the protests on the American embassy in Cairo and the attack on the consulate in Benghazi, the Libyan city where Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and the other Americans were killed.

The protesters in Cairo appeared to be a genuinely spontaneous unarmed mob angered by an anti-Islam video produced in the United States. By contrast, it appeared the attackers in Benghazi were armed with mortars and rocket-propelled grenades. Intelligence reports are inconclusive at this point, officials said, but indications suggest the possibility that an organized group had either been waiting for an opportunity to exploit like the protests over the video or perhaps even generated the protests as a cover for their attack.

The killing of the ranking American official in Libya raised questions about the vulnerability of American officials at a time when the profound changes sweeping the Arab world have hardly dispelled the rage against the United States that still smolders in pockets around the region. The killings also put an enormous new strain on Washington’s relations with the new Libyan government that took over after the ouster of Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi last year, and they threatened to sour American public opinion about the prospects of the democratic opening of the Arab Spring.

About 24 hours before the consulate attack, however, Al Qaeda posted to militant forums on the Web a video in which its leader, Ayman al-Zawahri, acknowledged the death in an American drone strike in June of his Libyan deputy, Abu Yahya al-Libi, and called on Libyans to avenge the death.

If it were established that the deaths of the American diplomats resulted not from the spontaneous anger of a crowd about an insult to Islam but from a long-planned Qaeda plot, that might sharply shift perceptions of the events. But officials cautioned that the issue was still under urgent study.

Al Jazeera’s English-language Web site said Mr. Stevens died of smoke inhalation after a mob set fire to the building, and a Libyan physician who treated Mr. Stevens at the hospital was quoted by The Associated Press as saying he had tried to revive him for 90 minutes.

In Italy, the Web site of the newspaper Corriere della Sera showed images of what it said was the American Consulate in Benghazi ablaze with men carrying automatic rifles and waving V-for-victory signs, silhouetted against the burning buildings. One photograph showed a man closely resembling Mr. Stevens apparently unconscious, his face seeming to be smudged with smoke and his eyes closed.

A spokesman for the Muslim Brotherhood, the mainstream Islamist group and the sponsor of Egypt’s first elected president, Mohamed Morsi, urged the United States government on Tuesday to prosecute the “madmen” behind the video, according to the English-language Web site of the state newspaper, Al Ahram.

The spokesman asked for a formal apology from the United States government and warned that events like the video were damaging Washington’s relations with the Muslim world. He also emphasized that any protests should remain peaceful and respect property.

There should be “civilized demonstrations of the Egyptian people’s displeasure with this film,” the Brotherhood spokesman said, according to the newspaper Web site. “Any nonpeaceful activity will be exploited by those who hate Islam to defame the image of Egypt and Muslims.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/13/world/middleeast/us-envoy-to-libya-is-reported-killed.html?_r=2&emc=na

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Seriously,

watching the trailer I couldn't stop laughing long enough to be offended by any of it. I mean really if this is the best someone who is against my beliefs can do I would simply point out how ironic it is that obvious morons are making this while I'm able to field a literate response.

The Libyan attack is a bit suspicious, since we're pulling out of other areas I guess we know where we'll deploy next (and it's not Syria) after all someone has to ensure stability over there?

Timeline

A lot of questions are being asked about the person behind the film, first reported to be a "Sam Bacile" who claimed in a phone interview with AP that he was an Israeli real estate developer living in California.

However, reporters have been unable to find any trace of "Sam Bacile" or any real estate business belonging to him - he has no official website for his firm, there are no references to any of his real estate ventures, and he has no social media presence. No property listed in his name, no phone, no licenses and no court records. Israeli authorities stated that they have no record of an Israeli citizen named "Sam Bacile."

With a ridiculous script, terrible acting, cheesy chroma-key sets, sound problems and more, the film's production does not reflect even a $50,000 investment, much less the $5 million that "Bacile" told reporters he had received from Jewish donors.

"Bacile" claimed that he hired 45 crew members and 60 actors; however, one of the "consultants" on the film, a Steve Klein, says that only 15 people were involved with working on the film. Klein also claims that he doesn't know much about "Bacile," yet quickly added that the name is a pseudonym. He denied any connection to Terry Jones, the Florida pastor who has threatened to burn Qur'ans. Klein also denied that "Bacile" is Israeli, and also added that the State of Israel had nothing to do with the film.

Klein, by the way, has been identified by the Southern Poverty Law Center as an "extremist" who has led anti-Muslim protests, as well as protests outside abortion clinics and Mormon temples.

Murkier and murkier.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

A lot of questions are being asked about the person behind the film, first reported to be a "Sam Bacile" who claimed in a phone interview with AP that he was an Israeli real estate developer living in California.

Thanks for posting that.. I saw "Associated Press" on the original interview and assumed it was accurate.

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Timeline

It is beyond me how anyone can get so worked up over any film. Or slight to their diety, real or imagined.

True.

It's also beyond me how anybody can use their deity, real or imagined, to justify bombing abortion clinics. Or to justify burning mosques or churches. Or to justify driving a million people out of their homes and homeland, and stealing their stuff. Go figure.

Thanks for posting that.. I saw "Associated Press" on the original interview and assumed it was accurate.

Well, keep in mind that the AP only reported what the guy said in the interview - they never said they certified his claims. That's how reports about interviews go - "so-and-so said X."

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Timeline

And away it goes....

20700e9.jpg

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My other thread in MENA on this just disappeared. Weird? I must have missed something.

Anyways you're right WoM it does seem murky surrounding the director/producer of the film. So they're resorting to digging up information on another guy mentioned in connection with the film, Chris Stevens. This is an article being tweeted: Link

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

one post removed, one member thread banned and admin action increased.

Edited by charles!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

My other thread in MENA on this just disappeared. Weird? I must have missed something.

Anyways you're right WoM it does seem murky surrounding the director/producer of the film. So they're resorting to digging up information on another guy mentioned in connection with the film, Chris Stevens. This is an article being tweeted: Link

Chris Stevens is the U.S. Ambassador who was murdered. The "other guy" associated with the film is Steve Klein.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Chris Stevens is the U.S. Ambassador who was murdered. The "other guy" associated with the film is Steve Klein.

I'm so terrible. I made the mistake of mixing the two guys up in two threads. Thanks for catching that.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

It is beyond me how anyone can get so worked up over any film. Or slight to their diety, real or imagined.

A film most of them will never see. It sucks to be so insecure.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG