cassecouilles

A job in the US without a college degree

51 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

You don't need a degree unless it is a specialized job. However, this has been changing as the economy took its downward spiral.

I am in school right now, I'm nearly 30. I decided to go back after realizing that jobs I could get 3 years ago today were being more selective and choosing degrees and experience over just a degree or experience. They are being more picky.

I make $100k in 2008, I've been over $60,000 since I was 23 working in sales and working my butt off. Come 2010 I made $15,000, 2011 I made $30,000. This year I should have about $45 - 50,000 made, but I only got my job because of the degree I am pursuing, my GPA, and my life experience. If I wasn't pursuing the degree, I wouldn't have had a chance to beat out 75 candidates for my position.

I hope this helps. I was born & raised American and I feel I have a pretty good sense of the economic & employment situation.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Many school districts/courts/hospitals MUST offer translation services. Some use phone based systems but others may prefer in-person translational help.

Slight clarification here. Hospitals and other institutions that receive public funding must offer interpretation services by way of telephone, on-site interpreter, or video, however a lot of their printed information is not translated.

(Disclaimer: I do not translate) I work for two interpreting services, (one company that is a leader in the field with nationwide service), I don't know of one coworker that has a degree in interpretation or translation (apart from ASL). There are certification tests and recommended training but nothing nationally required (or generally expected as of this year but things are developing). I'm not sure what your degree would specifically set you up for, so you might know more than me or maybe want to look into that. Also, plan on filing taxes self-employed.

Here in my state, the court system has set up a training seminar specifically for interpreters that want to work in this state. If nothing else, it's a great place to meet other bi/multilingual foreigners.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

In order for you to work in the USA you must have an EAD (Employment Authorization Document). When You first arrive in the US, your passport should be stamped with an I-94, this will give you the ability to work in the USA for 90 days. After this, you can not work in the USA until you have filed the AOS (Adjustment of Status) process and have received your EAD and 2-year green card. It would be in your best interest to have your college transcript(s) evaluated by a credited education evaluation agency.

The above bolded portion is WRONG. Please do not spread misinformation. The OP CANNOT work without an EAD. The K1 DOES NOT permit you to work.

You said Detroit right? Start looking now. http://www.indeed.com is a decent job searching site.

Here is one you might be good for:

http://intelligencecareers.com/jobsfeed/job4220117.cfm?jsc=d012345&rjid=38608&refsrc=indeed&utm_source=Indeed&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Indeed

Seems to be plenty available for you.

Edited by Rob & Monika

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Filed: Timeline

Here's my own experience and I do believe there are other factors at play - it's not just about whether or not you have a degree - it's whether you have relevant experience in place of a degree, where you live ( I live in Orange County, California) and how you come across at interview:

Once I had my EAD I didn't know where my skills and personality would be best suited in the US job market so I became a temp with an employment agency for 6 months. ($25 ph)

Another temp agency helped me get a position which lasted five years - starting pay $55k - got laid off in reduction in force - ending pay $65k

Unemployed 9 months April 2010 to Jan 2011 - but ended up with 54 interviews and 5 job offers - none of which paid less than $55k and landed a job in which starting pay was $72500 and now earning $76k.

I do not have a degree of any kind and work in administrative positions as an Executive Assistant -so it can be done if all the factors are in your favor if you can find a company who will look past your lack of degree!!

Good luck.

Absolutely spot on.

Timeline

I don't think your chances of getting a GOOD job are great without a degree. It's not impossible but you'll find that like another poster said, some are wanting both, not one or the other. I know some jobs I applied for couldn't have cared less WHAT the degree was in (related field or not) so long as I had some form of degree (or associates degree) but of course with a degree they wanted say 2 years experience as opposed to 5 with an associates.

What I would look into is college credit transfer OR distance education for your final credits (I know Universities in Australia let you study via distance education) OR I've read about "short courses" that get you the qualifications without the degree. So while you might not have a degree you could at least write "qualified in xxxxx".

One major issue is people lie on their resumes so you've got all the fakes to contend with.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

No, she can't. Teaching requires a degree + a state approved teacher education program + state specific test.

It is far from being easy.

I'm a teacher and I can tell you that there are "alternate" tracks to obtaining a teaching degrees. It's because a lot people have degrees in SOMETHING else and want to become a teacher or have SPECIFIC skills (i.e. multi-lingual, for example). There are such programs that will help you obtain a degree in teaching. Some programs are "summers" only courses, evening courses, alternating courses, and etc...

Schools are always in demand for such a teacher that have specific skills. I have a BA degree in Physical Therapy, but have MA in specialized educational field relating to teaching children WITH orthopaedic difficulties. If she will explore more on her wishes and dreams - (Isn't that what America is all about?) - she will find great opportunities in front of her...

On another note, being a translator in the USA is a skill that not many people are blessed with. To be a Certified ASL sign language interpreter for the CIA in Washington, DC could easily earn $75,000 or more. WOW...

SO, all the best wishes to those folks full of dreams...

Ebiggrin.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

A lot of times experience and skills are more important than having a degree.

That said, if you are going into a specialized field, usually a degree is required. I have a degree and am hoping to use it once I'm able to work, but in my field you need experience in the field before you can get a job. I am starting a volunteer position on tuesday, hopefully I can get a bit of experience before I am able to work!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Having a degree is definitely helpful. As a US citizen, most of the jobs I've found in my search have required at least a Bachelor's degree. However, relevant experience will definitely help you, as well as living in a metro area. While you're waiting on your green card, you can always volunteer in a few places. This would definitely look good on a resume!

K1 Visa Timeline

01/13/2012 I-129F sent via USPS

01/16/2012 I-129F delivered

01/17/2012 NOA1 date on USCIS website

01/20/2012 Text and E-Mail Notification of NOA1!

01/20/2012 Check Cashed

01/23/2012 NOA1 Hardcopy

01/23/2012 Called USCIS to report that my fiance's name was misspelled on the NOA1

01/24/2012 Touched

01/26/2012 Received response to report, e-mail states error has been corrected.

02/08/2012 Touched

07/12/2012 NOA2! It took 177 days.

07/17/2012 NOA2 Hardcopy

07/20/2012 NVC received and forwarded to London

07/23/2012 Received in London

07/31/2012 Packet 3 received

08/02/2012 Packet 3 sent

08/16/2012 Medical

10/1/2012 Interview: APPROVED!

10/3/2012 Visa Issued

10/8/2012 Visa delivery

10/24/2012 POE Dublin

11/21/2012 Wedding

event.png

[uSCIS] cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

I suggest you read the forum and see how many people with a degree have problems finding a job, it might not matter at the beginning but in the long run having that degree will be useful, you can try and transfer your credits here and obtain a degree from an American University, however you have to finish your university; that unless you want to start all over again here, later on, maybe you get a grant once you have your GC or your husband gives you his benefits( GI bill) if he hasn't used them already. You will find jobs 10 to 13 dollars an hour and if you are lucky maybe something better. You said you will be living in Detroit for a while, however once your husband gets deployed what will happen? Depending on the location, might not be very easy to get a good job.

Either way good luck, it's not an easy process and taking life changing decisions can be very stressful.

Also you might want to check on Expedite request based on your husband being active duty and getting ready to be deployed, if you get the visa earlier and you start your AOS early you might have a chance to be back early and take your exams.

Edited by Ms C

If you are almost done with school, I would recommend finishing and complete your bachelor degree 1st, talking from experience even moving from One states the the next going from your school to another you can lose some credit, it's business at time i feel the new school just want you to pay to take their classes, so you can get short changed a lot. But it's very different once you actually have the degree, you can go anywhere with it, and only have to submit it when you are going for a master or phd, by then they don't go into details of what classes and stuff you have taken.

Gone but not Forgotten!

Hi everyone,

My fiance and I have just started the K1 application process but if everything goes well we should (hopefully) be in the states by June 2013.

It's probably a bit premature, but I worry about finding a job in the states. I'm only a few classes short of graduating in translating but I don't actually have my Bachelor's degree yet and I might not be able to graduate before moving to the states.

Can you get a good job in the states without a college degree? I have about 4 years of work experience. I worked as a travel insurance agent the first year, and have been working at the US embassy in progressively responsible jobs for the last 3 years. I have good references, and the last three are actually from US supervisors. I'll be honest, the lack of degree hasn't held me back at all until now, I make a pretty good salary and love my job... but am terrified of what's going to happen once I move to the US.

I'm not a "rockstar" at anything, don't have any super specialized talents to give me an edge. Basically I'm just a quick learner that's willing to work. I grew up speaking French, Dutch and Spanish. I am also fluent in English and German. But even though I am fluent in five languages, I don't actually have a degree or certificate that oficially states that.

Do you think I would be able to find a good job? By that I mean maybe an administrative job in a large company.

Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts on this!

A degree is not a must, specially for administrative kind of jobs; however it does help as it shows "commitment" and "perseverance" as well as discipline in the eyes of US employers. THe actual specific degree is not as important unless you want a specific job and a specific degree is a requirement.

One other thing you need to account for (as you mentioned a 'pretty good salary') is that the social benefits in Europe are different to what you will find here. FOr example, medical care and retirement benefits to name a couple. You might want to research and understand those to get a better idea of the kind of work you would want to have in the US. Of course, a lot depends on your lifestyle and the specific area of the country you will live, some people around here barely make it on the equivalent of 80-90 thousand euros, while others are perfectly ok on the equivalent of 15-20 thousand and even lower. It is much cheaper to live in Texas than in California for example.

Being so close to your completion of school, I'd say to try to do it, either by online (if that is possible) or looking into transferring as much as possible to a college in the US, maybe even into a different degree.

Timeline

Here's my own experience and I do believe there are other factors at play - it's not just about whether or not you have a degree - it's whether you have relevant experience in place of a degree, where you live ( I live in Orange County, California) and how you come across at interview:

Once I had my EAD I didn't know where my skills and personality would be best suited in the US job market so I became a temp with an employment agency for 6 months. ($25 ph)

Another temp agency helped me get a position which lasted five years - starting pay $55k - got laid off in reduction in force - ending pay $65k

Unemployed 9 months April 2010 to Jan 2011 - but ended up with 54 interviews and 5 job offers - none of which paid less than $55k and landed a job in which starting pay was $72500 and now earning $76k.

I do not have a degree of any kind and work in administrative positions as an Executive Assistant -so it can be done if all the factors are in your favor if you can find a company who will look past your lack of degree!!

Good luck.

This gives me hope. I was formerly an EA earning roughtly $75k in Australia, now I'm a IT Program Consultant, I don't have a college degree yet earn a significant amount of money, double my previous salary as an EA. I know that I probably won't get that kind of money in the US, I was hoping for somewhere around $50-60 and was going to look at going back to EA jobs, but thought that might be a struggle and have been considering going back to school aswell, so I can earn the degree to say I have studied to do what I already do. grateful for you providing your experience. thanks!!

N400

08 Mar 20: N400 filed online

14 Mar 20: Biometrics scheduled for 31 March - cancelled due to Covid19 shutdown.  

16 Dec 20: Biometrics

12 Feb 21: Interview (approved)

24 Feb 21: Oath Ceremony

ROC

31 Jul 15: ROC (I-751) sent

19 Jan 16: Greencard received

AOS

26 Feb 13: AOS (I-485, I-131, I-765) sent

06 Mar 13: NOA1's received

03 Apr 13: Biometrics completed

12 Sept 13: Interview - Memphis, approved!

Sept 13: Greencard received.

California Service Centre

17 May 12: I-129f sent

23 May 12: NOA1

20 Aug 12: NOA2 (89 days)

20 Nov 12: Interview in Sydney

29 Nov 12: Visa Issued

05 Dec 12: POE Honolulu

20 Dec 12: Wedding day

Filed: Timeline

Having a degree is definitely helpful. As a US citizen, most of the jobs I've found in my search have required at least a Bachelor's degree. However, relevant experience will definitely help you, as well as living in a metro area. While you're waiting on your green card, you can always volunteer in a few places. This would definitely look good on a resume!

On another thread, a poster alleged that without an EAD, that volunteering is also illegal.

Thoughts?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.