cassecouilles

A job in the US without a college degree

51 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I have been here in the US for nearly three months now and have had no luck finding a job. I do not have a college degree and back in the UK I had a decent job paying a fairly good wage. I have applied to many positions here and have had interviews as well, but no luck at all so far. In my opinion it is extremely difficult finding a job without a college degree as the market is flodded with graduates from colleges applying for admin assistants etc. Even though three months may not see such a long time, I am quite disheartened by it all. Even before I have moved here, I have decided to go to college, but I still need a job to get through life and pay bills.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

I have been here in the US for nearly three months now and have had no luck finding a job. I do not have a college degree and back in the UK I had a decent job paying a fairly good wage. I have applied to many positions here and have had interviews as well, but no luck at all so far. In my opinion it is extremely difficult finding a job without a college degree as the market is flodded with graduates from colleges applying for admin assistants etc. Even though three months may not see such a long time, I am quite disheartened by it all. Even before I have moved here, I have decided to go to college, but I still need a job to get through life and pay bills.

I'm sorry to hear that :-s That isso strange, in Belgium you'd get hired BECAUSE there are so many college graduates vying for the same positions... they "typically" expect more pay, more benefits, etc and they tend to leave sooner as soon as a more attractive offer comes along. It's for that very same reason that I have never been without a job. Before I step on anyone's toes, I'm not saying every college or university graduate is like that but here it does seem to be a common stereotype... one that's helped me a lot in the past :-) Technically, you and I can do the same as any college graduate in the admin field, but we're cheaper. At least, that's how I hoped they'd see it :-p

I hope you have more luck in the future finding a job. Where are you? I read some people here had the most luck finding employment through a temp agency, maybe that would help?

Filed: Timeline

I definitely get what you're saying, and also agree with you to a large degree. On the other hand though it is difficult for me as I have no US work experience and it is tough that way. Once I have held that crucial first job, I believe it will be easier for me to find another job.

I am in New York City and have registered with numerous Recruitment Agencies, but again, to no luck. Even though the job market is slowly recovering here in the US, there is still a large number of people unemployed and the job market is extremely competitive.

If I were you I would for sure finish your degree in Europe and then consider coming here. Even then you will most likely find it hard to land a job, depending on where you're headed as local economies can differ quite a bit. Wish you luck!

I'm sorry to hear that :-s That isso strange, in Belgium you'd get hired BECAUSE there are so many college graduates vying for the same positions... they "typically" expect more pay, more benefits, etc and they tend to leave sooner as soon as a more attractive offer comes along. It's for that very same reason that I have never been without a job. Before I step on anyone's toes, I'm not saying every college or university graduate is like that but here it does seem to be a common stereotype... one that's helped me a lot in the past :-) Technically, you and I can do the same as any college graduate in the admin field, but we're cheaper. At least, that's how I hoped they'd see it :-p

I hope you have more luck in the future finding a job. Where are you? I read some people here had the most luck finding employment through a temp agency, maybe that would help?

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Yes. It's "degree inflation". Used to be you only needed a high school degree for most things, now everybody has a college degree, so everything needs a college degree. They might not care anything about where it is from, only that you have one. I would finish yours if you at all can. Look for the other threads on here about getting your degree translated then.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Also, it is probably significantly cheaper (if not free) for school where you currently are. In the USA, you pay $$$ and go broke with student loans. Good to avoid if you can.

If you read many job descriptions, they will say "college degree or equivalent work experience". The latter will let them give you the job if they really want you, but HR screening programs will probably look for that college degree on your resume. And in some large organizations not having one will keep you from further advancing.

Edited by Ippsy Pippsy

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.