georgeramsaran

US Citizen Wants Divorce From Conditional Permanent Residence

125 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

My prayers are with you buddy. I don't need to give advice because all of the advice already given is good. I'm sorry that the world is the way it is and the people in it aren't more respectful and considerate. May all go smoothly for you and best of luck (F)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

My prayers are with you buddy. I don't need to give advice because all of the advice already given is good. I'm sorry that the world is the way it is and the people in it aren't more respectful and considerate. May all go smoothly for you and best of luck (F)

I thank you very much

Couldn't have said it any better. I'm sorry tragedy has struck.

K-1
03/09/12 - NoA1
10/04/12 - NoA2 (210 days)

AoS

01/25/13 - NoA1
08/15/13 - NoA2 (199 days)

RoC
05/21/15 - NoA1

11/02/15 - NoA2 (164 days)

N-400

08/18/16 - NoA1
03/14/17 - Interview

03/16/17 - Oath Ceremony (217 days)

US citizen

Total time start to finish: 5 years, 12 days (1,838 days)

Timeline

Updates, my wife just called me and said she will not sign the divorce paper un less I pay her 50,000 because she secured me in the US for 2 years, that she didn't mean to hurts but she is making up with her x boy friend ;-(

Edited by georgeramsaran

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

:(

Updates, my wife just called me and said she will not sign the divorce paper un less I pay her 50,000 because she secured me in the US for 2 years, that she didn't mean to hurts but she is making up with her x boy friend ;-(

Save all of this as proof she is blackmailing you. You will most likely need it all in the future. I wish there was more we could do to help you friend... :(

Timeline

:(

Save all of this as proof she is blackmailing you. You will most likely need it all in the future. I wish there was more we could do to help you friend... :(

;-(

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

At this point you've heard what VJ members have to say. Now you need guidance from a family law attorney and an immigration attorney so that you can discuss and evaluate the specifics of your circumstances.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Lol she's obviously nuts. I suggest you no longer answer her calls and work only on texts and email for evidence purposes.

I also suggest you see a family and immigration lawyer AND disclose to them about the blackmail regarding the divorce. These are not the actions of someone who loves or loved you. She is either trying to trick you to give her the money so she can accuse you of fraud, or she's following her new boyfriends orders, or... she never loved you and she planned on doing this all along to extort money.

I cannot say this strongly enough - you DO NOT want to get involved with verbal or written discussions about this. This is all very bad stuff that you DO NOT want to be accused of. You need to report this to the appropriate people and have her charged or whatever with blackmail. You need to get divorced and away from this woman asap. You don't know what sort of damage she will cause. If she wants money from you, no telling what she will be willing to try or do to get it... including being the one to report you to ICE or USCIS the police first for "blackmail". She could try and claim all sorts of bad things. YOU need to report it first to protect yourself.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You don't need her to sign the papers right now, you go ahead and file anyway. It's important that you get her served ASAP because at that point you can claim separation of finances - so if she goes nuts running up credit cards or whatever, you don't have to be responsible for her debt.

If she refuses to participate in the disclosures and or contests the divorce, you'll end up in court. She doesn't want to go to court, trust me. I'm sure she's just playing hardball right now. Unfortunately, a contested divorce is costly. But it will be costly for both of you. Maybe once she realizes that she's not getting the $50,000 AND it's actually going to cost her money to fight you, she'll be willing to sign off on the divorce.

AOS

5/16/2012 - Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 1:33pm

5/21/2012 - Email/text notifications received at 4:50 p.m.

5/26/2012 - NOA hard copies received for I-130, I-485 and I-765

6/19/2012 - Biometrics completed.

7/02/2012 - Text/email/hard copy notification of interview.

7/30/2012 - EAD card production ordered.

8/02/2012 - Interview @ 2:00

8/02/2012 - Email notification of GC production at 5:30pm

8/07/2012 - Second GC production email

8/07/2012 - EAD received.

8/08/2012 - GC mailed.

8/09/2012 - Welcome letter and I-130 approval letter received.

8/10/2012 - Green card received. :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I wonder if this will begin to turn into a new form of scam. Can't imagine anything more hurtful than to marry someone then have them try and get money out of you for immigration status.

It is clear that there is no going back, begin the divorse, restraining order, etc., crazy to think someone can just flip their personality in such a case.

I also believe once she realizes it will cost her $$, she will sign.

Best of Luck.

USCIS:

06/06/2012: Sent I-130 to VSC (as LPR)

06/08/2012: NOA1 (Priority Date)

06/12/2012: Touched

08/20/2012: Mailed VSC request for Upgrade to CR1

08/23/2012: Opened Request with USCIS for Upgrade to CR1

08/27/2012: Got Email confirming upgrade to IR1/CR1

11/13/2012: NOA2

NVC:

11/16/2012: NVC Received (NVC # not ready)

11/19/2012: BOG number/IIN - Gave emails

11/19/2012: Choice of Agent email sent

11/20/2012: AOS bill invoiced

11/20/2012: AOS bill paid shows in process

11/21/2012: AOS package sent

11/21/2012: AOS bill shows PAID

11/21/2012: Choice of Agent email sent (again)

11/21/2012: Choice of Agent email accepted

11/23/2012: IV bill invoiced

11/23/2012: IV bill paid

11/26/2012: IV package sent

11/26/2012: IV bill shows PAID

12/07/2012: AOS accepted

12/10/2012: IV Accepted

12/10/2012: Case complete

12/13/2012: Interview scheduled

US Embassy Bogota:

01/25/2013: Lab Visit

01/28/2013: Medical

01/30/2013: Interview

02/05/2013: Email Waybill (5PM)

02/06/2013: Visa in hand

02/08/2013: POE JFK, NY

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'd also like to point out that the divorce wouldn't be final unless you signed the divorce papers anyway. I don't believe (I could be wrong) that you can finalise an application for dissolution of marriage without both participants signing the application document. So even if she filed for divorce, if you don't sign the papers then you wouldn't be legally divorced anyway.

I'm not offering that as a solution - marriage and divorce should never be used as a weapon - just wanted to make you aware :)

And I'm really sorry that you're in this situation right now. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for you!

Ezekiel Frazer Chester

"It is only when men begin to worship that they begin to grow" - US Former President Calvin Coolidge

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.