50 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Paraguay
Timeline

I'm so heartbroken, I never thought I would be writing one of these topics. I met my husband in Paraguay almost 2 years ago. I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in his town. We got married 8 months ago and I couldn't have been happier. Our petition was fast-tracked through USCIS since I was living abroad and we arrived in the US together in May.

I always knew that he was a jealous person but I guess that was a bit of an understatement. If I so much as looked at another guy he thought I liked him. I would tell him that's not true and that looking at people, even talking and laughing with people in my culture doesn't mean anything. I am a friendly person. I'm not flirty, just friendly. But in his culture, men and women hardly interact so that concept was very difficult for him to accept. Cheating is also extremely common in his culture so he was naturally insecure. He was constantly accusing me of liking other men for absolutely ridiculous reasons and then wouldn't believe when I told him that he was wrong for thinking that. He was sometimes verbally abusive as well but he would always apologize later and say he was trying to change.

I convinced myself that he would change when we got to the US and saw how our culture was. Nothing changed here. He kept going back to how I acted in Paraguay and all the men I supposedly liked there. We went to see a marriage counselor but that didn't help. Finally I just couldn't take his accusations and his lack of trust anymore. I told him he had to leave. He didn't believe that I would actually send him back to Paraguay so I bought him a ticket for the next day (today). At that point he broke down completely and kept saying "What have I done?!" and "This is all my fault." He accepted responsibility but it was too late. I had given him so many opportunities to change. He said he would go back to Paraguay and pay for his mistakes and maybe take some English classes (he speaks Spanish) and that he wanted to come back and start over but I don't know if that was all a show to get me to take him back or if he was being genuine. I want to believe him so badly and I truly believe that he wanted to change but that his head was not in the right place. I don't want to rush into divorce if there is a possibility of working it out. I also know that he shouldn't stay out of the US for a long time or he risks not being able to re-enter.

I guess I just wanted to get all my thoughts out and see if anyone had any thoughts or advice to offer. I'm just hurting right now, I miss my husband and I don't know what to do. Thanks in advance.

11-19-2011 Married in Paraguay

USCIS - 10 days

01-09-2012 NOA1 email

01-19-2012 NOA2 email (USC living abroad with spouse)

NVC - 33 days

02-08-2012 Case number and IIN assigned (9 days after NVC received)

03-12-2012 Case completed

04-06-2012 Received interview letter in e-mail (25 days after case complete)

Consulate

04-10-2012 Medical in Asuncion

04-30-2012 Interview-APPROVED

05-02-2012 Visa available for pickup

USA

05-10-2012 POE-Bahamas

05-25-2012 Welcome Letter received

05-31-2012 Green Card received

06-08-2012 Applied for SSN at local office

06-16-2012 SSN received

Hi Amanda,

I'm so sorry to hear this! When I was going through this process, you were about a month ahead of me and I keep watching your timeline for what I should do next!

A few thoughts - pretty harsh to buy him a plane ticket to go home. In doing so, you have basically said - 'I have all the power here, and you have none.' I'm sure that's not what you meant to do, but from his perspective, that's probably how he's feeling.

And I'm sure you know this - but never a good idea to go deeper into a relationship thinking things will change.

These seem like major cultural differences, and I wish I had good advice for how to fix them. Only you and he can decide if things are worth/possible repairing. Take things one day at a time and don't do anything too quickly. A little bit of space and perspective is often enough to allow you both to see clearly.

Stay strong and good luck.

USCIS Stage

February 17th, 2012 - NOA1 Email

March 1st, 2012 - NOA2 Email (USC residing abroad)

NVC Stage

March 12th 2012 - Received

March 21st, 2012 - Case Number received

April 20th, 2012 - Case Closed

May 1st, 2012 - Interview scheduled

Embassy

May 29th, 2012 - Interview - Approved!

June 6th, 2012 - Passport with visa delivered

July 29th, 2012 - POE together in Houston

August 6th, 2012 - Social Security Card Received

August 16th, 2012 - Green Card Received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

well did you discuss with him about buying a ticket and sending him home? I guess you decided this is the best course of action.

Maybe its for the best. Time apart so not only him but you as well can think over your actions.

Latin American culture is different from American culture. Just by coming here alone and seeing the lifestyle doesnt mean he will understand or accept this.

Speaking from culture perspective when woman gets married she can still be friendly but she has to adjust her actions, she is no longer single.

In USA that is not necessarily the case. I certainly understand where your husband is coming from. He cannot even speak english properly so maybe he misunderstand some of your

friendly conversations/interactions.

At same time being insecure can be a relationship killer.

sounds like both you and him need some time to think.

Just make sure when you put him on that plane and he never comes back that you are not the one heart broken for years to come.

And I know you are hurting right now dear but when i read your title husband went home and I read your story its seems the title should be husband SENT home.

anyways if you guys get back together after sometime you know it will be worth it. good luck.

Edited by rade2rising
4027-dil-ko-choo-jaye-gi-shayari-collection-heart_91.gif?d=1205939495

Filed: Timeline

Have you considered that he may be experiencing culture shock?

It's unfortunate that people don't often get the opportunity to visit the US in order to decide if it is where they want to live. Not knowing the language, customs, culture, etc., only makes it worse.

I've said this before on here many times, the USCIS is doing countries not on VWP program a disservice with the K1/IR1/CR1 visas.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

Latin guys can be very jealous. that is just their nature. The Latin women they understand this very well. I think you married the wrong person. If he was getting into jealous rage in paraguay well

surely it can only get worst here in USA bcoz its more intense here. Rather than going to NY he decided to go back home. That says alot. He came here bcoz of you not his love of USA otherwise he would try and stay here no matter what. Its sad he has to leave but it may be best for everyone.

4027-dil-ko-choo-jaye-gi-shayari-collection-heart_91.gif?d=1205939495

I could attribute his behavior to culture shock if it had started here in the US but he had been treating me this way since before we even got married.

Yikes. How did you respond to this before you where married?

USCIS Stage

February 17th, 2012 - NOA1 Email

March 1st, 2012 - NOA2 Email (USC residing abroad)

NVC Stage

March 12th 2012 - Received

March 21st, 2012 - Case Number received

April 20th, 2012 - Case Closed

May 1st, 2012 - Interview scheduled

Embassy

May 29th, 2012 - Interview - Approved!

June 6th, 2012 - Passport with visa delivered

July 29th, 2012 - POE together in Houston

August 6th, 2012 - Social Security Card Received

August 16th, 2012 - Green Card Received

Filed: Timeline

Latin guys can be very jealous. that is just their nature. The Latin women they understand this very well. I think you married the wrong person. If he was getting into jealous rage in paraguay well

surely it can only get worst here in USA bcoz its more intense here. Rather than going to NY he decided to go back home. That says alot. He came here bcoz of you not his love of USA otherwise he would try and stay here no matter what. Its sad he has to leave but it may be best for everyone.

That's so wonderfully stated. I salute him. The only thing he could have done better was not to accept the ticket from the Wife and instead gather the money for his own flight back.

Edited by Gowon

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Just based on what you have said, in my opinion, you two are not a good match. As much as you love him and WANTED it to work, that deep seeded insecurity in him won't just "change" or "go away". You could spend years trying to fix the situation and be unhappy doing so only to find out that his jealousy is still there, or you can make the painful and difficult decision to go your seperate ways now and spare yourself.

Just think about how you want the rest of your life to go. Can you deal with that FOREVER? It seems it's already been too much to deal with. Cold, hard opinion, if it was me, I'd move on:( I'm so sorry this has happened.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Just based on what you have said, in my opinion, you two are not a good match. As much as you love him and WANTED it to work, that deep seeded insecurity in him won't just "change" or "go away". You could spend years trying to fix the situation and be unhappy doing so only to find out that his jealousy is still there, or you can make the painful and difficult decision to go your seperate ways now and spare yourself.

Just think about how you want the rest of your life to go. Can you deal with that FOREVER? It seems it's already been too much to deal with. Cold, hard opinion, if it was me, I'd move on:( I'm so sorry this has happened.

Hi,

Iam really sorry to hear yr story but As a women i totally agree with bestofboston..also this man seems very insecure even if yr actions were not really diplomatic.

You should listen yr heart and ask yrself the right questions... A man so abusive in the beginning can only become worst at the end....instead of asking advices of people who dont know y, look for answers in you ab what y really want from yr other half and life...

The best of luck,

X

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.