dwheels76

My Immigration Letter to the President

92 posts in this topic

I find this thread very interesting and I'm glad others on this forum have taken to contacting the government regarding their experiences.

What I've noticed with my job (international trade - importing, exporting, etc.) is that when people want something done, they contact an association (e.g., transportation intermediaries association, american association of exporters and importers) and the association has legal and lobbying counsel that lobby on their behalf. If the association hires the right people, they contact members of congress, bills are proposed and things get signed into law. It does take time and you have to follow the legislative process, but I have seen it happen and I've seen the industry I work in change a lot in the past 5 years that I've worked there.

I'm not sure if one exists, but is there an association for visa-related processes? I know there's an American Immigration Lawyers Association, but what about one for the people and the families actually affected by the immigration?

Have the people who own visajourney.com thought about creating one? This visajourney.com forum is JUST like the trade associations I work with and the people who post here are just like the members. I think we've all found it to be a valuable resource. The association could also have legal counsel on retainer that if someone really did need a lawyer, a reputable one could be provided, etc.

I think writing letters to the president are good, but I feel like the only way we'll make a change to the visa process is that if hundreds, thousands of people get together and lobby congress with a unified voice to share their experiences, propose a bill to shorten the processing time and streamline it, and get people's loved ones here quickly.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I agree with you for IR1/CR1 couples it ends at the POE as far as being with your spouse to live here.

I am not sure about AP in other countries. They would probably call it something different anyways. I've looked at Jordan and India, and now I just looked at Nigeria. I can't find anything about becoming a permanent resident. Maybe you could help me out in that regard. This is what I found for Nigeria.

Like any other country, Nigeria takes the time to grant citizenship to foreigners that meet certain requirements. A main way for foreigners to obtain Nigerian citizenship is via 'naturalization', which requires the following - an individual must be at least 17 years that resided in Nigeria for at least 15 years, is of good character, plans to remain in Nigeria, is familiar with Nigerian language and customs, has a viable means of support, and has renounced previous citizenship. Another way is through 'registration' and this mostly applies to women (not men) married to a Nigerian citizenship. Of course, individuals with at least one Nigerian citizen for a parent can also become Nigerian citizens themselves. I don't find it easy at all to find information about it for any of those countries. For India, you have to wait 7 years to even apply for citizenship and then I have no idea how long it would take. I know there's a man that's been waiting 10+ years after marrying his wife there (who is a citizen). For Jordan I see nothing about it at all regarding marriage immigration ( I only checked because someone was complaining about waiting 5months!!! for a visa from the U.S.). In any case, I find that the immigration process according to research I've done is faster than most. The amount of marriage and fiance visa petitions they receive nationwide must be massive (much more than other countries- I'm trying for find a number on this) and the number people adjucating these cases is very limited. So I'm just guessing here that's why it seems to take so long. But in comparison, it's less time than others.

To become a citizen of Jordan if you are not from an Arab country it is 15 years by naturalization if you maintain residence there, 5 years if you are from an Arab country, or it is automatic if your father is of Jordanian descent. If you marry a man from Jordan and you are of Arab descent you can apply for citizenship in 3 years, 5 years if you are not of Arab descent. When visiting Jordan you get a visitor visa at any point of entry that is good for 30 days, anything beyond 30 days you register with the police and the Ministry of foreign affairs and you can extend it for up to 6 months. If you want to stay longer than the 6 months you renew the visa through the Ministry of foreign affairs in Jordan. I will add that you do not need to apply ahead of time for a visitor visa. When I go to Jordan I just pay a fee of 30 Jordanian dinar at the airport and it's good for 30 days. :)

Edited by mimolicious

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

To become a citizen of Jordan if you are not from an Arab country it is 15 years by naturalization if you maintain residence there, 5 years if you are from an Arab country, or it is automatic if your father is of Jordanian descent. If you marry a man from Jordan and you are of Arab descent you can apply for citizenship in 3 years, 5 years if you are not of Arab descent. When visiting Jordan you get a visitor visa at any point of entry that is good for 30 days, anything beyond 30 days you register with the police and the Ministry of foreign affairs and you can extend it for up to 6 months. If you want to stay longer than the 6 months you renew the visa through the Ministry of foreign affairs in Jordan. I will add that you do not need to apply ahead of time for a visitor visa. When I go to Jordan I just pay a fee of 30 Jordanian dinar at the airport and it's good for 30 days. :)

Thanks for that info! I was going in circles finding anything about marriage related immigration on the internet. So one year (even 2 yrs)for U.S. immigration is after all a drop in the bucket it seems. I am curious about the whole subject of immigration now lol I'm interested because of this forum and also to draw comparisons to our system. The whole thing is fascinating and frustrating at the same time.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I got 3 year residency in Egypt through marriage.Was easy ...We did that so I didn't have to keep getting a visa every time i came to Egypt.Maybe make a petition and get all VJ members to sign it.Also friends and family to sign it .Just an Idea

VMnmm7.pngrSeTm7.png

Timeline

Thanks for that info! I was going in circles finding anything about marriage related immigration on the internet. So one year (even 2 yrs)for U.S. immigration is after all a drop in the bucket it seems. I am curious about the whole subject of immigration now lol I'm interested because of this forum and also to draw comparisons to our system. The whole thing is fascinating and frustrating at the same time.

Well it it far easier for us as US citizens to travel freely in most countries. I was surprised how easily a visitor visa to Jordan was obtained. I don't need any documentation other than my American passport to enter. In fact I am heading to Jordan tomorrow for a much needed, albeit short visit with my husband. The separation of his visa process is wearing on us kicking.gif.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Nice letter......wish it would make a difference but i'm afraid they will just move on to the next letter and send another quick reply without really addressing the issue...

we've been in this journey since Nov 2010 and missed all our first year of marriage together and now most of our 2nd due to 11 months of Mandatory AP..... I feel there should be a way to complete the process in a more timely manner... I work for an international company and see many LPR even get their spouse here faster and that's from all countries.... I agree with the check system but feel it should be able to be completed within 6-9 months

Thanks for sending that and speaking on all our behalf.... well done!!!

10/02/2010 Nikah/Marriage in Karachi
USCIS JOURNEY
11/10/2010 -Sent
03/24/2011 i 130 approved!!!
NVC JOURNEY
03/30/2011 NVC received case-04/07/2011 NVC Case Number Assigned
05/03/2011 CASE COMPLETE- In Que for INTERVIEW!!-05/17/2011 Received interview letter and info via email
EMBASSY JOURNEY
05/20/2011 Medical Appt/passed
06/15/2011 Interview result AP
06/21/2011 Submitted requested docs..under review
07/25/2011 CO called did phone interview result: PENDING MANDATORY AP/CO told us they have to do namechecks

03/07/2013 Case returned to USCIS waiting for NOIR/reaffirmation

04/18/2013 USCIS received case for review

08/19/2013 Received NOIR to respond by 9/18/2013

9/9/2013 Responded to NOIR/USCIS received documents awaiting response

9/20/2013 USCIS reaffirmed sent to embassy

1/04/14 Case opened for review

8/31/15 Interview- no questions visa approved on the spot

9/8/15 visa status issued

9/10/15 visa received

9/19/15 POE Charlotte

p9WGm4.png

Timeline

Well it it far easier for us as US citizens to travel freely in most countries. I was surprised how easily a visitor visa to Jordan was obtained. I don't need any documentation other than my American passport to enter. In fact I am heading to Jordan tomorrow for a much needed, albeit short visit with my husband. The separation of his visa process is wearing on us kicking.gif.

I'll agree with you there about the visas. I applied for an Indian visa and was approved about 2weeks later. Only because you have to wait for snail mail to and from their processing facility.

Wow you're going tomorrow??! Travel safely and enjoy your visit! (F) (F) :-) I know you will! :lol:

A large part of the problems facing us as a country and many of us as individuals is that we've been spoiled by the media to want sound-byte style answers to complex situations. Lots of answers sound great when you first hear them, people in positions of power hire professional writers to do just that, write amazing sounding responses, to enable them to move on to the next question. The problem is those type of quick, great sounding answers often lack the substance to really fix the problems they are so easily fired off against.

We get used to these kind of quick answers because we see them on the news all the time. So we want quick answers to OUR problems. The issue is, there are no easy answers to most of our problems. None of us want to hear that, but it's basically true.

We want immigration easier so we can be with the one we love. Makes sense. But how often have we heard a story of some man or woman being taken advantage of by someone who was deceitful about their true purpose in coming here. Remember this is AFTER all the screening.

Id write more, but my fiancee just got online. kicking.gif So you know where MY priorities lie. :)

10/19/2011- FedEx'd I-129F

10/20/2011 - Received @ Dallas Lockbox

10/25/2011 - Received E-mail/Text for NOA1

10/28/2011 - Received NOA1 Hardcopy

02/11/2012 - Received E-mail/Text RFE

02/13/2012 - Received Hardcopy of RFE

02/16/2012 - Fedex'd RFE response

02/17/2012 - Received RFE response @ VSC

02/24/2012 - Received E-mail/Text, RFE Response Review

03/07/2012 - Received E-mail/Text for NOA2 (134 days)

03/10/2012 - Received NOA2 Hardcopy

03/13/2012 - NVC Received I129F Approval Packet

03/20/2012 - NVC Sent Packet to Embassy

04/04/2012 - Embassy Received Packet

04/16/2012 - Fiancee received Packet 3.

04/30/2012 - Fiancee responded to Packet 3

06/21/2012 - Interview Date. Visais Approved!.

07/01/2012 - Received Visa from Go2

07/05/2012 - Arrived in USA. Chicago POE.

07/05/2012 - Arrived in Washington.

07/27/2012 - Married (Yea)

09/01/2012 - AOS, AP, EAD Applied for via USPS Registered Mail

09/09/2012 - EMails for all three forms arrived.

09/1?/2012 - NOA 1s for all three arrived.

Timeline

I got 3 year residency in Egypt through marriage.Was easy ...We did that so I didn't have to keep getting a visa every time i came to Egypt.Maybe make a petition and get all VJ members to sign it.Also friends and family to sign it .Just an Idea

Well now that's a policy I could definitely go for! lol I don't really see it happening here though. I wonder how they can do that honestly, I mean without any sort of background check, etc. or something of that nature?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Well now that's a policy I could definitely go for! lol I don't really see it happening here though. I wonder how they can do that honestly, I mean without any sort of background check, etc. or something of that nature?

Only thing I did this was last year in June was went to the Tahareer building in Cairo and they asked me to leave my passport there and pick it up the next day.I picked it up with my 3 year residency stamp

VMnmm7.pngrSeTm7.png

Filed: Timeline

Well I thought I would enlighten the President. Here is my letter and here is the "Whitehouse' response. It's like they don't even know about spousal and K1 Visa's. I know we are a small piece of the pie but good grief. Hopefully maybe he, they are taking a deeper look.

Dear, Mr. President,

My question is personal but involves somany people suffering the long long wait of requesting their husbandsand wives, fiancée’s and fiancé to the United States with the K1and I-130 Visa.

As a new wife (today is our 1 yearanniversary) I do not understand why it takes such a long time forthe USCIS process, than another 2 to 3 months at NVC. To ask a UScitizen to wait 8 to 12 months to be able to live as husband and wifeis torturous and brutal I must say.

For me marrying a man from a countrythat doesn’t freely approve Visas means he CAN NOT come to visit meat all during this process. This has been very hard. I was blessedlast year to be able to spend 6 months in Nigeria with my husband.

What I am concerned about are myfellow citizens waiting in AP (Administrative Processing) at theembassy point for months some over a year. No updates no word whatthey can do. They get told at interviews that theirmarriage/relationship is for immigration purposes they get denied orpushed aside. To only file again and go through this immigrationprocess again. What I don’t understand is if you were considered afraud relationship than, what will filing again prove to the ConsularOfficers at Embassy because more times than not they approve thesecond or third time.

I pray to God our Petition never get tothat point. Trust me Mr. President we are real. My family in Nigeriawelcomes me and I am loved and wanted. I miss my family in Nigeriawhich I got to live with for 6 months. Being apart from my husbandis hard and heartbreaking.

All I am asking is when “WE” readImmigration improvements it seems the Visa’s for Spouse and Engagedpeople are never considered. I really have no idea what percentage weare of the whole immigration pie. But know this (just have your aidescheck out www.visajourney.com) I for one want you to know weare doing immigration the right way, the way it was designed to. Thepaper work is brutal. I for one submitted 219 pages of emails, IM’s,phone logs, pictures.

Can you imagine having to submit everyconversation you had with your wife, email, letters to prove you werea Bona Fide married relationship. It’s like we are deemedfraudsters and have to prove ourselves innocent.

Anyway just wanted to express my views.But on a good note please accept my heartfelt thank you for lowing some of the Visa processing fees. Saving a hundreds here and theretruly helps in this process. In this day and age a price reduction issuch a blessing.

I thank you for all you do for ournation. I know you are trying hard and its duly noted. I willcontinue to pray for you, our nation and your family. Be well andstay Blessed. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

********************************************************There response******************Pretty generic but still got a reply.******************

Dear Friend:

<br style="line-height: 19px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'Times New Roman', Times, Georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; text-align: -webkit-left; ">

Thank you for writing. I have heard from many Americans concerned about immigration, and I appreciate your perspective.

Americans are rightly frustrated with our Nation's broken immigration system, and I share that frustration. We need an immigration system that meets America's 21st century economic and security needs, and that can only be achieved by putting politics aside and coming together to develop a comprehensive solution that continues to secure our borders, holds businesses responsible for who they hire, strengthens our economic competitiveness, and requires undocumented immigrants to get right with the law. That is how we can reaffirm our heritage as a nation of immigrants and a nation of laws.

My Administration has invested an unprecedented amount of resources, technology, and manpower to secure our borders, and our efforts are producing real results. Today, our Southern border is more secure than ever with more law enforcement personnel working along it than at any time in American history. Along with significant reductions in the number of people trying to cross the border illegally, crime rates along the border are down, and we have seized more illegal guns, cash, and drugs than in years past. In addition to doing what is necessary to secure our borders, my Administration is taking action against employers who knowingly exploit people and break the law, and criminal immigrants who pose a threat to the safety of American communities.

I remain deeply committed to working in a bipartisan way to enact immigration reform that restores accountability and responsibility to our broken immigration system. The Federal Government has the responsibility to continue to secure our borders. Those immigrants who are here illegally have a responsibility to pay taxes, pay a fine, learn English, and undergo background checks before they can be considered for legalization. At the same time, we need to provide businesses a legal way to hire the workers they rely on, and a path for those workers to earn legal status. Stopping illegal immigration also depends upon reforming our outdated system of legal immigration. We should make it easier for the best and brightest immigrants to stay here and help create jobs in America. The law should also stop punishing young people who were brought to this country illegally as children by giving them a chance to stay and earn a legal status if they pursue higher education or serve in our military.

By creating a 21st century immigration system that is true to our principles, our Nation will remain a land of opportunity, prosperity, and freedom for all. To learn more about my Administration's efforts regarding immigration, or to read our Blueprint for Immigration Reform, please visit: www.WhiteHouse.gov/issues/immigration.

For additional information and resources on current immigration and enforcement efforts, I encourage you to visit www.dhs.gov or call 1-800-375-5283.

<br style="line-height: 19px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'Times New Roman', Times, Georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; text-align: -webkit-left; ">

Sincerely,

Barack Obama

To put this in perspective, same-sex married couples cannot petition for a Green Card for the alien spouse, even though the President and Executive Branch believe that the Defense of Marriage Act is unconstitutional. Some of these aliens are being deported if they cannot obtain another lawful status. So, there are a lot of other immigration problems that need solutions and that may be a higher priority.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Nice letter......wish it would make a difference but i'm afraid they will just move on to the next letter and send another quick reply without really addressing the issue...

we've been in this journey since Nov 2010 and missed all our first year of marriage together and now most of our 2nd due to 11 months of Mandatory AP..... I feel there should be a way to complete the process in a more timely manner... I work for an international company and see many LPR even get their spouse here faster and that's from all countries.... I agree with the check system but feel it should be able to be completed within 6-9 months

Thanks for sending that and speaking on all our behalf.... well done!!!

I tried and believe me I am not done ringing that bell to them. The AP reference was for you my dear and your Islamabad peeps and many others. I am not asking for answers and solutions over night just awareness than people can act accordingly. Just like how we were about this journey and found out some ummm surprises along the way to our dismay the administration needs a wake up to this piece of the pie. We are spending some big bucks for months and well I don't care if we are 1% or 10% of the whole picture the picture is incomplete without us.

I find this thread very interesting and I'm glad others on this forum have taken to contacting the government regarding their experiences.

What I've noticed with my job (international trade - importing, exporting, etc.) is that when people want something done, they contact an association (e.g., transportation intermediaries association, american association of exporters and importers) and the association has legal and lobbying counsel that lobby on their behalf. If the association hires the right people, they contact members of congress, bills are proposed and things get signed into law. It does take time and you have to follow the legislative process, but I have seen it happen and I've seen the industry I work in change a lot in the past 5 years that I've worked there.

I'm not sure if one exists, but is there an association for visa-related processes? I know there's an American Immigration Lawyers Association, but what about one for the people and the families actually affected by the immigration?

Have the people who own visajourney.com thought about creating one? This visajourney.com forum is JUST like the trade associations I work with and the people who post here are just like the members. I think we've all found it to be a valuable resource. The association could also have legal counsel on retainer that if someone really did need a lawyer, a reputable one could be provided, etc.

I think writing letters to the president are good, but I feel like the only way we'll make a change to the visa process is that if hundreds, thousands of people get together and lobby congress with a unified voice to share their experiences, propose a bill to shorten the processing time and streamline it, and get people's loved ones here quickly.

What am excellent idea. where do i sign up. I am sure a panel, petition something could get started on here. Cool.cool.gif

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

I'll agree with you there about the visas. I applied for an Indian visa and was approved about 2weeks later. Only because you have to wait for snail mail to and from their processing facility.

Wow you're going tomorrow??! Travel safely and enjoy your visit! (F) (F) :-) I know you will! :lol:

Thanks Sweetie. I am so looking forward to seeing him, and he just texted me(it's 4:30am there) and said he is so anxious to see me he can't sleep. We will be so happy when this process is over and won't need to worry about immigration for another 2 years. We are like everyone else here, we just want to be together and start our lives together. good.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

let's consider how long it would take if an American citizen wishes to immigrate to any other country in the world (just pick a random country). I'm willing to wager it's longer than 5mos. or even a year for pretty much any of them IF AT ALL.

What planet do you live on? I can move to my husband's country today. Before we were married, I could go for a period of time, apply to stay, and never leave. Or not leave until I was ready. People do it in record numbers and it is relatively easy for young folks without jobs to do. No biggie.

People are not generally punished there for entering the country (or even just TRYING) to enter the country legally.

I have every right to criticize our system. It is punative to those that do what is asked and lax with those who flaunt thir refusal to even TRY to follow the law. Our president's talk that suggests forgiveness for those who blantantly break the law while ignoring all the ones who are taxpaying voters absolutely puzzles me.

A also agree that no one should be allowed to adjust status from tourist or temporary worker EVER. If I, personally went to another city and married, you can be danged sure I'd return to my own home to collect my belongings and resolve my family and business situations as well as my responsibilities. If someone was an honest tourist or temp worker, they would need to return home for the same reason. That is a great time to file and follow the same process.

There is an effort to do away with the K-1 visa. Personally, after reading up on it, I agree fully. We used this because it was a toss-up and this seemed only marginally easier for us. For legitimate couples, I expect the decision is about equal. There are so many victims of fraud associated with that and it is heartbreaking. (I used to date a guy who had suffered because of that--once he got here, the sweet woman who was his childhood friend in Iran demanded a 70,000 pay-off or she'd turn him in for fraud. He refused and she called homeland security on him stating that he was a terrorist and abusing her. Yeah. He found out later that he was not her first "fiance". He spent more than the cost of a modest house in legal fees.)

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.