Tinchen_

culture difference, daily life

35 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Yeah, thats rude. What planet did your husband come from? That is not a culture difference. I would not agree to disagree on that. I would not do that but if I did the reaction would be predictable..."Turn off your phone, I am your wife" Which means, basically, "I ....(do things for you that no one else does)... you will give me respect"

I find the cultural differences to be interesting. Oh, and take off your shoes. Thats what it says under the avatar of Alla...so I don't forget. :lol:

yeah right its rude. we talked about it. he toned it down. like not anymore when we eat or do something together, but once a while the topic comes back up. like im a tech guy i need my phone and that .

hahah i like ur ( i do thing for you that no one else does) i really like that,gonna use that nxt time ,. thanks :)

so you have to take ur shoes off every time u come to house??? its cute she put it under the avatar so that u dont forget, really cute.love it :D

Visa Journey:

K1:

Service Center: Vermont Service Center

Consulate: Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F Sent: 10-13-2010

I-129F NOA1: 10-18-2010

I-129F NOA2: 04-05-2011

Consulate Received: 04-15-2011

Packet 3 Received: 04-29-2011

Packet 3 Sent: 04-30-2011

Packet 4 Received: 05-07-2011

Interview Date: 06-07-2011

Interview Result: Visa was on hold

Second Interview: Approved

Visa Received: 01-20-2012

ENTRY: 02-12-2012

Married: 03-26-2012

AOS 04-19-2012

Email notification 04-26-2012

NOA1 send : 04-24-2012

Biometric send: 04-27-2012

Biometric appt: 05-18-2012

AOS transfer to CSC: 05-24-2012

EAD/AD approved&send: 06-22-2012

EAD/AD arrived: 06-28-2012

e4nrdek1wws.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

yeah right its rude. we talked about it. he toned it down. like not anymore when we eat or do something together, but once a while the topic comes back up. like im a tech guy i need my phone and that .

hahah i like ur ( i do thing for you that no one else does) i really like that,gonna use that nxt time ,. thanks :)

so you have to take ur shoes off every time u come to house??? its cute she put it under the avatar so that u dont forget, really cute.love it :D

Oh yeah, I even built a special place in the garage to remove the shoes and put them in a rack and put slippers on, kind of a small "mud room"(no bare feet either) Yeah, big Russian/Ukrainian taboo, no shoes in the house!

Neither of us use the phone when we are together for some purpose, like eating. Or watching a movie, whatever. Going for a walk. And especially not in the bedroom, no phones in the bedroom!

Seriously, you are married, you guys have an intimate life that is what separates you from everyone else and I do not just mean sex. When I had serious surgery and I woke up after an induced coma and I look around and who is there? My wife and 4 boys. So who is more important I need to talk to on the phone?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Oh yeah, I even built a special place in the garage to remove the shoes and put them in a rack and put slippers on, kind of a small "mud room"(no bare feet either) Yeah, big Russian/Ukrainian taboo, no shoes in the house!

Neither of us use the phone when we are together for some purpose, like eating. Or watching a movie, whatever. Going for a walk. And especially not in the bedroom, no phones in the bedroom!

Seriously, you are married, you guys have an intimate life that is what separates you from everyone else and I do not just mean sex. When I had serious surgery and I woke up after an induced coma and I look around and who is there? My wife and 4 boys. So who is more important I need to talk to on the phone?

i remember my old bff in high school she was from russia and every time i visited her shoes off, first it was weird but after a while i did it already automatic, just had to remind to put nice socks on lol but good idea with the garage room..

he doesnt call anyone or txt when he is on his phone then he plays games or check out his apps, he is a big tech guy so tech news over everything. when he checks that once in a while i get a big OMG no way...lol for me i would wish he would tone it down a bit more.

the no phone in the bedroom , i like that but i wouldnt get that thru.. my mistake i got him to make compromises and now he uses it sometimes on me as well lol ;) ;)

but with ur surgery hope it wasnt to serious and u doing good. but u right thats what it all counts that ur family was there for you when u woke up and helped u thru it.

Visa Journey:

K1:

AOS 04-19-2012

e4nrdek1wws.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi all VJ's

the other day me and my husband had a real stupid argument about a cell phone. where im from and grew up its rude to use ur cell phone when you for example eat together, or when you talk to someone and they just on their cell phone.for him its normal.

so we agreed to disagree.

so im just wondering how you all deal with the daily little culture difference with your spouse???

would be great to hear from you,maybe i can learn something next time :) lol B-)

Maybe you can approach your spouse like this? “Honey, I want to build on “Our Time, when we can shut off the world”. I will shut off my external world (cell phone) when we are eating. Honey, I look at eating as a time of intimacy, catching up on today’s events, a time of silence, and a time that it is only you and I against the world, so romantic. Just you and”! Trust me; it is not a culture difference. Sometimes one must express the real reason for wanting time alone with each other! LOL

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline

Lol my gps has voice control and sometimes... man. I have favourites set and I should just be able to say "Favourites" "walmart" but instead i have to go line by line through favourites till I get to it because "walmart" apparently sounds like "walnut" when i say it. I tried looking for Le Claire Avenue... that was just awful! So I think it would be funny to see a vid of me talking to my GPS:

Me: "walmart"

GPS: "did you say, walnut?"

Me: "No. Waaalllmart *americanish accent*"

GPS: "did you say Waldorf".

Me: "NO! OMG!! $#@%$#$ %$%$%#$^%^ $%# #$^%T #$^T#"

That sounds a lot like me! hahaha...

I have to call someone on the phone and then im like...Ummm Patrick please talk to them, they dont understand me.

And thats just one of the series, he has to give me a confidence speech each time before i call someone, or even in restaurants, i like to make him order or i just say it once, if the server doesnt understand i just look at Patrick!

:devil::devil::devil::devil:

Dec 22- I129F sent TSC
Dec 27- txt/email NOA1
Dec 29- NOA1 Hard Copy Received
May 31- RFE text/email...oh wells ....
June 05- RFE letter
June 06 - RFE sent
June 11- RFE received at CSC
June 15- NOA2!!!!!!!!!!! So great!!!!!!!
July 16- NVC Received Case
September 27 - Interview Approved
October 10- POE NEW YORK
November 17- Wedding day
December 24- AOS Package sent
UQKwp2.png

aYJpp2.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i think levels of civility and manners are based on what you learned with your parents.

IMO, it's not culture-specific or country-specific. It's specific to the individual's background.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Timeline

hi all VJ's

the other day me and my husband had a real stupid argument about a cell phone. where im from and grew up its rude to use ur cell phone when you for example eat together, or when you talk to someone and they just on their cell phone.for him its normal.

so we agreed to disagree.

so im just wondering how you all deal with the daily little culture difference with your spouse???

would be great to hear from you,maybe i can learn something next time :) lol B-)

god damn, wife and i argue about this all the time.. i dont know who invented these rules about rudeness with cellphones. they have only been around for 20 years...

please people.. if geeks get bored.. they use their cellphones. we dont question why u have 20 pairs of shoes.. or take 2 hours to paint nails.

2006 - Entered US on F-1
2009 - COS to H-1
2011 - Married USC

Conditional GC Process:
04/2012 - Concurrent I-130 petition / I-485 AOS / I-765 EAD / I-131 AP sent
35 days to biometrics, 73 days to EAD/AP combo card, 85 days to interview, 96 days to Conditional Green Card

04/2014 - Eligible for ROC

06/2014 - I-751 package filing joint with spouse sent

5 days to extension,37 days to biometrics, 172 days to CSC transfer, 247 days to Green Card

04/2015 - Eligible for Citizenship

09/2015 - N-400 package filing on basis of USC spouse sent

29 days to biometrics, 105 days to interview, 147 days to oath and US citizenship

~ 9 years and 6 months from first entry to US citizenship

just text him dirty messages when he does it so he can't concentrate on what he is doing.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Rude and customs are two different issues, one is addressed on a personal level the other may take time. Another cultures directness and less tact may be different the US. I have seen through the years immigrants who proclaim their county and customs are better than USA, upon return to their home country after living here and back to US, I have seen then the difference n the cultures, values, living conditions becomes evident. I love by new family in China, but I cannot do stuff in China I do here from firearms to many other issues. The bottom line is talk it out.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

I am not under one roof with my fiance yet but for the moment the biggest difference I noticed is the wording and pronunciation. Like when I say sth and he tells me to speak "English" when actually his "English" isn't the correct one haha... Like for example two different ways of saying "route" and "router". When he said that to me first I was like what?!?!?! That's the only thing I can think of right now but there is more, let me just get my head around that :P

I actually bought myself a small dictionary that translates American English into British English :) and wow guys there are some differences!!! :P

Our (K1) Journey

01-17-2012: I 129F sent

01-24-2012: NOA1 date! => Vermont Service Centre

08-02-2012: NOA2 (195 days!!!)

09-24-2012: interview - Approved!

09-26-2012: visaarrow-10x10.png issued

09-28-2012: visa received by a registeredarrow-10x10.png post

11-01-2012: POE Dublin

11-17-2012: wedding

AOS Journey

11-23-2012: AOS package sent

11-27-2912: package received and signed for at the Chicago office

11-29-2012: case numbers assigned

12-03-2012: Biometrics letter sent to the old addressarrow-10x10.png (never received)

12-10-2012: NOA1 hardcopy for I 765 and I 131

12-15-2012: NOA1 hardcopy for I 485

12-28-2012: biometrics (missed)

01-17-2013: newarrow-10x10.png biometric date

01-25-2013: EAD approval

01-30-2013: EAD production

01-31-2013: EAD mailed

02-02-2013: EAD received

My ROC Journey:

03-20-2015: I751 package sent

03-23-2015: NOA1

03-25-2015: check cashedarrow-10x10.png

07-31-2015: Biometrics ( Biometrics letter sent to the old address never received, missed it on 07/06 and had to have it rescheduled after many phone calls and service requests)

09-07-2015: Card in Production email.

09-09-2015: Card mailed

09-11-2015: Card delivered

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Timeline

hahah i really love the dirty text thing its hilarious... LOVE it :)....

ok 20pairs of shoes, not even close lol.. and we need them all lol.. 20minutes to do my nails no clue dont do them myself lol :);)

yeah i bet ur fiance is all confused with ur british english lol.. sometimes i use some other words like perhaps or theater and my husband gets all lost. he is like where do u wanna do??? and has this cute confused look on his face lol.and then im like noo i mean movies, lets go to the movies lol heheheh...

Visa Journey:

K1:

AOS 04-19-2012

e4nrdek1wws.png

I am not under one roof with my fiance yet but for the moment the biggest difference I noticed is the wording and pronunciation. Like when I say sth and he tells me to speak "English" when actually his "English" isn't the correct one haha... Like for example two different ways of saying "route" and "router". When he said that to me first I was like what?!?!?! That's the only thing I can think of right now but there is more, let me just get my head around that :P

I actually bought myself a small dictionary that translates American English into British English :) and wow guys there are some differences!!! :P

Since we Skype almost daily, I've picked up a lot of British-isms. He loves when I say a phrase like "take the piss out of..." in my American accent. :lol:

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

i think levels of civility and manners are based on what you learned with your parents.

IMO, it's not culture-specific or country-specific. It's specific to the individual's background.

Could be. My parents did not have cell phones.

Alla's mom always takes her shoes off...yeah, I think you are on to something!

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

One thing I find different from my native German culture (not on hubby but most Americans I've met) is approach to sniffly nose - in Germany it's rude to make sniffly noises by "pulling it up" and my understanding is that in the US it is rude to audibly blow your nose (normal approach in Germany - that's why we got those wonderful 4 ply tissues that don't dissolve when they just see liquid ;) *nostalgic*) and I'm just stumped. I keep wanting to tell people around me to "For *** sake please use a tissue", but obviously know that they are doing the more appropriate thing for the environment they are in and on the other hand find myself baffled as to how dabbing my nose is going to do me any good when I have hey fever and water is just pouring out...

Another thing I'm not sure is if it's cultural or just our individual families that caused hubby and me to work differently is that I like closed doors - my preference is to close the bedroom door when I go to sleep, even if I'm all by myself in the house, and generally would close all the other doors when I enter / leave a room; he grew up in a house with all open doors and finds it uncomfortable to sleep with doors closed (I resigned to open doors but now that the sun keeps coming up so early I think I need to start re-negotiating).

Lots of little things are different and we are trying to make the best of it - I guess the key is to not make it a personal attack and proclaim "My culture's way of doing things is better" but point out that it's different and that it's difficult for us to adjust to the other's behavior and hopefully find a middle ground. -- Though I do agree that cell phone during dinner is rude!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

One thing I find different from my native German culture (not on hubby but most Americans I've met) is approach to sniffly nose - in Germany it's rude to make sniffly noises by "pulling it up" and my understanding is that in the US it is rude to audibly blow your nose (normal approach in Germany - that's why we got those wonderful 4 ply tissues that don't dissolve when they just see liquid ;) *nostalgic*) and I'm just stumped. I keep wanting to tell people around me to "For *** sake please use a tissue", but obviously know that they are doing the more appropriate thing for the environment they are in and on the other hand find myself baffled as to how dabbing my nose is going to do me any good when I have hey fever and water is just pouring out...

Lol. That sound is them sucking snot down their throat. It's INCREDIBLY gross if it's a snort sound, irritating as buggery if they're just sniffing constantly. I would prefer they discretely dab, then go to the bathroom and blow their nose.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.