Seven

change back to my maiden name

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Immigration won't care what name you have as long as it's a legal change.

You will most likely need a court order to change your name back. Check your state rules to find out whether this is required, usually is. Had you not change it you would have been fine keeping it but now you've changed it you have to go to some effort to "fix" it.

There is no problem with having a different name in the US and a different one at home. I would hope your family understands it was a choice because of immigration concerns and doesn't judge you because of it. Your name is still the same in your home country so that should appease them.

This is a totally personal choice. Whether you are harassed for your maiden name by law enforcement or not you DO have proof you're legally here. I honestly doubt it will be a huge issue. You state you won't have kids so there's no issue with different names to your kids. Look into what is legally required to change it, go through that process then when you file for ROC put your maiden name on the forms and that is it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

one post removed for baiting, one post quoting that post removed also and returned below minus the quote, another post removed for being unhelpful and not understanding the op's situation prior to posting.

Rude and not a helpful comment.

I have ID's in both my married name and maiden name, especially since I still carry ID that says I am an Australian Citizen and that is still under my old name. All my US stuff is under my new name. I changed my name because my husband has a lovely last name, plus when we have kids I want us to all be the same. I completely understand why would would want to keep your maiden name. To some cultures, it is a BIG DEAL if you change your name to your husbands. Plenty of people keep their maiden names, regardless of their culture. What if you made a compromise, and hyphenated your names, or used his last name as a middle name? I don't think it is a red flag to change your name back. Like you said, you have plenty of evidence as to your relationship being legitimate. A name does not change that.

(the below is not directed at the above poster, but at the members who's posts were removed, along with any others who wish to create drama)

let's provide helpful advice to the op and not hijack this thread with drama. thank you.

Edited by charles!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline

I'm a bit confused as to why she would need a court order to change her name back. Her former name will always be legal so she can always use it. If she chooses to use her husband's name that is also legal. Also not understanding why some people are taking this personally. There are tons of people who don't adopt the husband's last name for any number of reasons. We're not back in the last century you know.

iagree.gif

I'm a bit confused as to why she would need a court order to change her name back. Her former name will always be legal so she can always use it. If she chooses to use her husband's name that is also legal. Also not understanding why some people are taking this personally. There are tons of people who don't adopt the husband's last name for any number of reasons. We're not back in the last century you know.

Kirk, she can go around and call herself whatever name she chooses, but for a name change on a legal government document, she will need to have a court document showing that she has reverted back to legally being called Mrs.XYZ.

Change a name on a Social Security card

Updated 03/09/2012 02:19 PM | ID# 315

How do I change the name on a Social Security card ?To change your name on your Social Security card:

Step 1: Gather documents proving your:

Legal name change

◦Marriage

◦Divorce

◦Certificate of Naturalization showing a new name

◦Court order name change

Identity

U.S. citizenship if you have not established your citizenship with us

Immigration status if you are not a U.S. citizen

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10513.html

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

I agree on two points. 1) Her previous last name is still one of her legal names as is her married name. 2) Why is the changing of the last name to the husband's so frot with strong feelings both ways--i.e you MUST take your husband's last name or you MUST keep your maiden name.

My Mother was named first middle maiden. She never went by first name. SHe was always called by her middle name. When she got married her legal name on her SSC was changed to first middle married, but every ID she had was middle maiden married. It was that way on her DL, bank accounts and her US passport until she approached the age of 65 and was going to retire. Then she changed everything to match her SSC except for some investments and bank accounts. All I had to do was show her will that stated she was aslo known as and all her legal names were listed--i.e. other names used on the USCIS forms.

The OP may find some hard headed people like in the SSA or DMV, but if she can gather up at least two documents--i.e. birth certificate and passport--she should be able to have the documents back into her maiden name. She could even use the marriage certificate in reverse to show I am married and this is my married name, but I now want to go back to my maiden name. File ROC in the maiden and then the GC and passport will be the same.

Good luck,

Dave

I do not need to understand nothing (sorry if sounds rude) First of all he IS NOT AMERICAN. He is a US citizen but he is vietnamese. Secondly, this is not the american way because it is not mandatory for their people here in US to adopt the husbands last name. I am no ones property and I am my parents daughter not his parents daughter.

And I do carry documents in different last names because my passport is in my real name and always will be because I am not planing to be come a citizen...ever

You made some very interesting comments

“he IS NOT AMERICAN” I think for him to be truly “American”, his roots should be from one of the America continents. IE: native American.

“He is a US citizen but he is Vietnamese” I think he cannot be elected as president of the US

“this is not the American way” are you sure about that? , as it does seem to me, that a vast majority of the US citizen couples I know, that got married take on the husband’s last name, and strangely enough, most do not take that to mean they are now “owned” by that person.

“I am not planning to become a citizen” As you passport will remain in you maiden name, a simple divorce will allow you to get your name back without any additional paperwork.

Marriage :2009-12-31

I-485-AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 2010-01-12

I-485 RFE response received by USCIS : 2010-02-010

EAD/AP Approved Date: 2010-03-11

AP Received Date: 2010-03-16

EAD Received Date 2010-03-19

AOS Interview Appointment 2010-05-10

Green Card approved 2010-05-10

Email received Card Production ordered 2010-05-13

Green Card received 2010-06-08

It may not be American law to require a woman to change her last name to her husband's, but it is the typical, cultural norm here. Both the law and the culture can have strong influences on what people do, so I wouldn't hold it against your husband that he wanted to follow along.

Anyway, your name that you use every day, or even on just about any thing which isn't government related (Want to sign up for a bake sale at the school? Or Sign personal letters? Face book? Email?) All of these can be any name you put in the first and last name boxes on the signup form. You don't need to hide from your family!

My mother's name is Elizabeth, but on 90% of her paperwork and her life, she's just Beth.

If it were me, I would not try to change my name back to maiden at this point in time. Right now, you are trying to show that you are still happily married, and symbolically separating yourself from your husband in such a way would certainly set off alarm bells in my head if I were an immigration officer - alarm bells which would not have sounded if you had just kept the same name all along. I don't think this is the time to make this stand.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

The culture you are referring to his Vietnamese right? Sure it is normal in most Asian cultures to keep your last name, but is it really such a shame for your family if you keep your old name on your old passport/id card/use it when in your country, but use his name here where they have little contact? My wife and I decided that in the u.s. she would use an all English name, but between us we would just keep her old name, and of course keep it on all of her Chinese documents. I didn't really care if she used an English name or Chinese since I speak Chinese... but it is soooo annoying to go to a store or work and find people saying your name 100% wrong. For us the negatives far outweigh the costs of keeping her old name. I had (we will move there again fairly soon) to adopt to Chinese culture, and part of that was getting a true Chinese name, because many people don't really know how to say my English name.

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Ok, there are a couple of things here I would like to clarify because maybe was me exposing my concerns the wrong way? Anyway...

1. About my passport: my passport is Spanish. Even if it was the opposite that I love my husband's last name etc. That name CANNOT be changed because is under Spanish laws and the law in Spain is you cannot change your last name in relation to marriage...Even if you go to the court and fight for it.

2. About my passport and decision of not becoming a citizen: there are plenty of people that have lived their whole life being permanent residents...Nothing wrong with that. I did not come to America with the ultimate goal to have a citizenship. I came from a beautiful island in a nice country to...OHIO to be able to live with my husband.

3. Someone said something about me not wanting to become a citizen bla bla and saying get a simple divorce. Oh well, if I was not in love would be a simple divorce but I do not want to divorce the person I love. Thank you very much

4. freetv: no, I was talking about my culture when saying that about the last names thus the Spanish in Spain(Europe) but thank you for your opinion :)

Krikit, exactly I have the feeling many people is taking it personally and being judgemental instead of giving some solutions or opinions about it and that's all (and I am not saying is everyone)

We all have our beliefs and personal experiences so I would appreciate they are respected same as I respect the others (whenever I was venting I always said that's how I see it or that's how my culture see it and that's the way I have been raised and I do not understand that, etc...) I could say (and it is just an EXAMPLE, not what I think) well, many people move from other countries that are not in a good situation to America really quickly and just want that citizenship. Or that could be said well I consider citizenship is important because this this and that...Two very different approaches as you can see.

However, thank you for your opinions so far :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.