Seven

change back to my maiden name

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Hello everybody!

I am a conditional permanent resident and it has been like that for almost a year now. When I filed for AOS, I felt forced by my husband to change my last names to his last name... That is something you just DONT DO in my culture and country and so I have to hide for my family for them not to get really upset with me. Anyway I don't want to have his last name, not because I don't love him or whatever but is just the way I was raised and can't understand how misoginist is to change it...sorry. Anyway, my GC, SSN, DL in USA is in the married name (and again I never went to court to legally change it...I just filed the AOS with the new name and that´s all).

The thing is I want my last names back. My husband says that is not a good idea because it will be a red flag for immigration that I do so and that it will be just problems with immigration because they will not understand how I don't want to have my hubbys if we are married, that if I travel or I am stopped by a cop when I am driving they will see spanish last names and will give me a hard time and then if they keep tracking, they will see I am married to a US citizen born in Vietnam and then will be more red flags etc...All completely insane. As well he says that it will make me be more under the radar bla bla.

My question is it is a big deal for immigration the last name thing? Also, would happen something if when I renew the GC to a 10 years I go back to my maiden?

Thank you!

Edited by Seven

we all have lessons to learn in life next time you should discuss this I head of time these are some of the pitfalls that occur when we marry cross culture. but if you love him and he loves you everything will work out are you need to communicate about these things and not stay silent imho.

Once you changed your last name it is now harder to change it back. To make this change in the US, you will now have to go thru the courts, by filing a legal document to make a request to have your maiden name back.

There is no law in the US that states once you are married that you are required to use your husband last name. But once you make that change on official government documents, you will be required to have an official document to make the change back on some. The problems you may encounter is some may make the change without legal documents showing you are now Mrs.Maiden name,while others may not. You do not want to be carrying documents around in two different last name. This will make cause for concern.

I don't think last name matters much to USCIS as long as you have strong proof of relationship

This is correct last name doesn't matter to USCIS, the OP will needs to understand that her hubsand wanted to do things the American way, because he felt it would make their life easier. She can call herself whatever she wish to be called. But making changes to US documents will now be a little harder to do.

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

I do not need to understand nothing (sorry if sounds rude) First of all he IS NOT AMERICAN. He is a US citizen but he is vietnamese. Secondly, this is not the american way because it is not mandatory for their people here in US to adopt the husbands last name. I am no ones property and I am my parents daughter not his parents daughter.

And I do carry documents in different last names because my passport is in my real name and always will be because I am not planing to be come a citizen...ever

Edited by Seven

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

OP

If you want to change your last name you have to go to court and file paperwork and they are going to ask you the reason why you want to change it. It must be a good reason or else they will reject your request. It might take a very long time to change it back because they is a lot of paperwork and questions ask.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I do not need to understand nothing (sorry if sounds rude) First of all he IS NOT AMERICAN. He is a US citizen but he is vietnamese. Secondly, this is not the american way because it is not mandatory for their people here in US to adopt the husbands last name. I am no ones property and I am my parents daughter not his parents daughter.

You asked for our help and we are giving you all the help we can. You and your husband should have sat down and talked about this before your AOS.

Read my post again,and take the attitude out and you will see that I was not defending him, but trying to get to you understand why he didn't listern to you when you communicated your concerns to him about the last name change.

As I stated you can call yourself whatever you desire,making the change to legal documents is another story.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

i have this probelm too my fiance wants me to change my last name for his .. and my dad dont want to hhahahahah ... to be honest i really dont care if i do or not but is that make hapy my baby why not :)

»-(¯'v'¯)-»Lisel & Javier »-(¯'v'¯)-»

K-1 TIMELINE

I - 129F SENT .................. 01/26/2012

I - 129F DELIVERED ...........01/30/2012
NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL ............02/04/2012 (01:45 AM)
NOA1 LETTER .....................02/06/2012
TOUCH ...............................02/10/2012
RFE TEXT/EMAIL ..................02/29/2012 (11:45 AM)
RFE LETTER ..........................03/02/2012
RFE SENT ..............................03/06/2012
RFE DELIVERED .....................03/07/2012
TOUCHED ( RFE) ....................03/08/2012 ( 10:33 AM)
NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL ..................03/27/2012 (04:15 PM)
NOA2 LETTER .........................03/30/2012
NVC RECIEVED ( CASE #) ...........04/05/2012
MEDICAL EXAM .........................04/24/2012
PICK UP MEDICAL EXAM..............05/24/2012
INTERVIEW DAY ..........................07/12/2012
VISA ON HAND ............................07/19/2012
REQUEST FOR CARTA BLANCA .......07/24/2012
CARTA BLANCA ON HAND .............08/17/2012
ARRIVAL ........................................08/28/2012
TOTAL ........................................... 7 MONTHS

AoS/EAD/AP/timeline:
I-485 SENT ....................11/16/2012
NOA-1 TEXT/EMAIL ..............11/23/2012 (9:55 AM)
NOA-1 LETTER ..................11/26/2012
BIOMETRICS LETTER .............12/01/2012
BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT ........12/24/2012
TOUCH (RFE) ...................12/06/2012
RFE LETTER ...................12/08/2012
TOUCH(RFE).....................12/28/2012
EAD/AP NOA-2 Email Aproval ....02/02/2013
EAD/AP ARRIVED ................02/15/2013

I-485 Interview ............01/21/2014

Approval Notice Text/Email..01/21/2014

Card Production..............01/22/2014

Card Sent ..................01/24/2014

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

If you want to change your last name now, you would have to go to the court. It may or may not raise concerns with the IO reviewing your I-751 application.

What you can do, is to wait until it is your time to apply for US citizenship (in two years), and change your name free of charge and hassle.

Hope this helps.

Anna T.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

I don't believe USCIS has issues with not adopting the husband's last name (I didn't either, because it's not done in my country and I don't want to have documents in different names), but in your case since you DID change it, maybe there is the risk that going through the whole process to change it back (if you're actually able to do so) might be seen as suspicious when you go through ROC?

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If you want to change your last name now, you would have to go to the court. It may or may not raise concerns with the IO reviewing your I-751 application.

What you can do, is to wait until it is your time to apply for US citizenship (in two years), and change your name free of charge and hassle.

Hope this helps.

Anna T.

She said she will not become a US CItizen....Ever!

HUSBAND'S CASE

9/17/2011 - sent I-13

09/19/2011 - noa1 received

3/16/2012 - case sent to my local USCIS office for additional processing

4/21/2012 - AP. If we haven't heard from them in SIX MONTHS (omg) we can feel free to call them!!! Thanks!

9/20/2012 - Interview scheduled - October 3!!!!

10/3/2012 - Interview went well but she must look at his A-file more before decision.

10/12/2012 - I-130 APPROVED! APPROVED! APPROVED!

KIDS' CASES

04/20/2012: NOA107/20/2012: instead of an approval, we got thrown into AP. sigh

11/01/2012: Boys' I-130 interview set for November 28, 2012.

11/28/2012: I-130s APPROVED! APPROVED! APPROVED!

NVC

12/14/2012: NVC Received

12/31/2012: Case number/IIN

12/31/2012: DS-3032 sent

01/08/2013: DS-3032 accepted

01/02/2013: AOS bill0

1/03/2013: AOS bill shows PAID

01/04/2013: AOS package sent

01/09/2013: IV bill

01/10/2013: IV bill shows PAID

01/11/2013: IV package sent

01/23/2013: Case complete

02/01/2013: Interview scheduled

US Embassy Lagos

02/22/2013: Embassy received

03/01/2013: Medical

03/20/2013: Interview - was told the boys would have been approved on the spot if they had pics! Errrr :-(

04/15/2013: DNA test

05/15/2013: Emailed embassy BEGGING them to let boys drop off passports for visa insertion. IT WORKED!!!

05/31/2013: Visa in hand

06/02/2013: POE JFK!!!!!!

5spxll0m6aa.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.