GringoD

USCIS and the IMPOSSIBLE R.F.E.

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Okay... Here's the $64K RFE:

Most of you likely will never be confronted with this.

The resolution is, I hope, relatively easy... with a phone call to the USCIS on Tuesday.

The mail person delivered late today.

I check the mail a 3rd time, upon arrival home this evening from my office.

THERE! in blue... the Dreaded Request for R.F.E.

________

Small essence.

In my mind.

But, I can understand... whatever, whoever... USCIS reviewer... doing their job well... sends me this request:

"SUBMIT PROOF OF THE LEGAL TERMINATION OF THE MARRIAGE(S) OF G.L. (me) and N.C.M.(her)."

_________

Explicar:

Some here may know, from having read, that I went through the process of filing fiancee visa the first time, about 4 years ago. No problems.

The (good) lady comes.

We have some issues arise, after about two weeks here.

Those issues continued to fester through the ensuing 60 days.

WE NEVER GET MARRIED.

I ask her to return to Colombia for awhile, until we can work out these differences (this, after a 3 1/2 year aged courtship.)

WE NEVER MARRIED.

So...... They, the USCIS, want me to submit proof of the termination of a marriage that NEVER HAPPENED.... so.... they know that I AM legally eligible to marry my current fiancee.

Edited by GringoD

07/27/2011...........NOA1 received.

12/05/2011...........RFE received.

12/13/2011...........RFE response sent.

12/16/2011...........RFE RESPONSE received by Vermont S.C.

12/22/2011...........Teased by a text-message from uscis, saying they have received my response to the RFE.

12/30/2011...........LA VISA APROVADOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

01/12/2012...........Case Sent To Bogota Colombia, from the National Visa Center.

02/09/2012...........Schedule Interview.

03/23/2012...........Interview (to take place then)!

04/07/2012...........Arrived in USA.

07/01/2012...........MARRIED!

What next?

.......How the days DO slip away!

Timeline

I'm hoping a PHONE CALL to the uscis on Tuesday will resolve the issue.

I wrote a 2-PAGE supplement to #11 on the I-129F, in regards to this issue of the prior incident.

I TOLD THEM.........EVERYTHING! EVERYTHING EXCEPT.... the fact that we NEVER MARRIED.

I think at worst, they will ask me to submit it in writing. I WILL! GET IT NOTARIZED.. sin duda!

Here's a little more of what they state on their request:

"you do not state in your documents if the marriage was concluded. Please submit further information on the marriage of G.L. and N.C.M."

Even though most of you will NEVER come up against this exact situation.... still there is a small, yet perhaps valuable lesson to be learned here.... ABOUT OMISSIONS.

tell the truth, the WHOLE TRUTH, and nothing but the truth......

Edited by GringoD

12/22/2011...........Teased by a text-message from uscis, saying they have received my response to the RFE.

01/12/2012...........Case Sent To Bogota Colombia, from the National Visa Center.

What next?

Honestly, I am confused. How do they tell you were married even though YOU NEVER MARRIED? wacko.gif. Gosh! Do not make me thinking they COULD make up story to make the process more difficult. Someone needs to explain more about this.blink.gif

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Filed: Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Que comico. :lol: (Not laughing at you, OP, but at USCIS.)

I hope the issue gets resolved ASAP.

December 2009 -- Visit to Malaysia.

February 2010 -- Applied for B2 visa, approved.

March 2010 -- Visited US.

April 2010 -- Returned from US.

May 2010 -- Sent in K1 Visa application.

July 2010 -- Received NOA2 in 71 days from NOA1.

July 2010 -- Packet 3 received.

August 2010 -- Cancellation of K1 Visa application.

Click HERE for VisaJourney guides.

image.gif?fsize=50&font=Filxgirl.TTF&text= MalaysianGirl &mirror=no&color=0033FF&vcolor=996699&bgcolor=α=yes&output=gif&spacing=4&shadow=undefined&transparent=no

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Is it possible to print out SOMEthing showing that you have searched vital statistics and that no record exists?

This request confuses me.

Is this the same woman now that is listed on this K-1?

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Croatia
Timeline

You can get a Certificate of Non-Impediment.

I'm not sure how you can go about getting one, my guess is that the process varies depending on the state you live in.

I would also get a statement notarized, presenting your Social Security Card and last year's tax return showing that you filed as a single person.

"Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity. " ~ Louis Pasteur.

Met Online - 01/2010
Met in Person - 12/21/2010

Engaged - 12/31/2010

File - 07/26/2011

NOA1 - 08/02/2011

NOA2 - 12/22/2011 (e-mail notice)
Visa Approved - 03/13/2012

Married - 03/31/2012 <3

*Started the AOS process a bit late cuse I'm a slacker and suck

But, we've had no issues. It's coming along. Interview should

be shortly coming. Married life is great*

jest.gif

Timeline

what is a certificate of Non-Impediment?

The uscis has ASSUMED that I got married to the lady three years ago.

No, it's a different lady, on this visa app.

_______

I spelled out in an entire page, what happened with the first relationship; I just DID NOT INCLUDE the fact that WE NEVER MARRIED. I spelled out that, we had some relationship problems, and I honorably and with good intent for the future, asked her to return to Colombia BEFORE THE 90 DAYS were up. I neglected to say , 'WITHOUT GETTING MARRIED', I asked her to return to Colombia.

So, uscis has ASSUMED that I married her.

What next?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Croatia
Timeline

Here in the US, it's a sworn affidavit which has been notarized.

You could make a sworn statement at an Embassy/Consular Office in the states.

Or an affidavit prepared by a lawyer.

Again, present proof: Social Security Card, perhaps Birth Certificate, and the tax transcripts from the years since you last filed. Your tax transcripts should show that you filed as a single individual. I'm not sure what other information or proof you can show :/ But, hopefully that would be enough. I know they usually have it for other countries as an official Document, but here in the US you have to prepare the affidavit and have it notarized.

"Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity. " ~ Louis Pasteur.

Met Online - 01/2010
Met in Person - 12/21/2010

Engaged - 12/31/2010

File - 07/26/2011

NOA1 - 08/02/2011

NOA2 - 12/22/2011 (e-mail notice)
Visa Approved - 03/13/2012

Married - 03/31/2012 <3

*Started the AOS process a bit late cuse I'm a slacker and suck

But, we've had no issues. It's coming along. Interview should

be shortly coming. Married life is great*

jest.gif

This is beyond crazy. I hope you can get it sorted out easily -- either with a phone call or tax transcripts/affidavit as suggested above!

USCIS... :bonk:

The K-1 Visa journey for myself and my two K-2 children:

K-1: NOA1 2011-8-10; NOA2 2012-1-12; Interview 2012-4-24; Visa issued 2012-9-17; POE (Sarnia) 2012-9-26; Wedding! 2012-10-02
AOS: NOA1 2012-11-20; Biometrics 2012-12-14; AP/EAD approved 2013-1-11; Interview 2013-1-31; 2-yr Green cards in hand 2013-2-9 (101 days total)

ROC: NOA1 11-7-14; Biometrics 12-1-14; 10-yr Green cards ordered 4-13-15! (157 days total)

Counting down to naturalization time!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

I really do not understand why people think this is crazy...

How many people here on VJ get married on K-1 and file for AOS years later ? USCIS has a record of issuing a K1 (since fiancee #1 came on it to US) and nothing else. There is a lot that tells them than petitioner may be married, there is absolutely nothing that tells them he is not. Good luck with phone call, highly doubt you will be able to resolve it this way.

Edited by kzielu

Timeline

yes, kzielu... I'm not really complaining, just stating a unique position to be in. The good reviewer at the uscis, just doing their job. That's good. One other consulation I find in this, is that I would figure they could pull that stuff up on computer, believing in the existence to some degree of Big Bro.... It's a lil comforting somehow, knowing that they couldn't find that out for themselves, with computer search, (but, wishing they could have! in this case)

I doubt also, that this will be resolved today on a phone call. But, I'm getting ready to make the call, and I'll let ya'll know what they say to do. It should be an easy and quick resolution.

What next?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

I doubt also, that this will be resolved today on a phone call. But, I'm getting ready to make the call, and I'll let ya'll know what they say to do. It should be an easy and quick resolution.

Definitely make a call - I would try to find out what evidence they would expect in this situation.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

"you do not state in your documents if the marriage was concluded. Please submit further information on the marriage of G.L. and N.C.M."

it seems to me that all they are asking for is a letter from you saying that the marriage was not concluded as you did not spell out the obvious in your original statement

good luck :)

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Did your previous fiance stay in the U.S. beyond 90 days? I would be very careful here because you are on shaky ground if she did in fact stay longer then 90 days without getting married.

You would be party to immigration fraud at that point. You best thing to send to USCIS is proof that she returned to her home country prior to the expiration of her K1 visa and prior to marriage.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You can try checking with your local court's records/registrars department to see if they can run a check and provide you with a paper stating no marriage for you was found. However, the USCIS might just need a statement from you explaining you were never wed and your first fiancee returned home.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.