JON&ERIN

Adjustment of Status NEEDS marriage Certificate?!?!?!?!

13 posts in this topic

Hello, I hope someone can help me out here.

I am in the process of obtaining my K1 Visa. I arrive IN the US August 16th 2011 (if all goes to plan) Married to my US citizen Fiancee Sept 10th in Hawaii.

My problem is-once we return from our Honeymoon and apply for AOS it requires a certified copy of our marriage certificate. Now this can take anything from 60days to 120 days to process!!!!

Can I still apply for my AOS?

Thank You

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

it depends on state and county, our took just days.. but just pay attention on where you will go and spend your honeymoon before you file for aos. good luck on your journey

K1 VISA:

FILED:06\15\2010

NOA1 DATE:06\22\2010

RFE:none

NOA2 DATE:06\30\2010

INTERVIEW:09\15\2010

VISA IN HAND:09\20\2010

POE:12\12\2010

WEDDING:03\04\2011

CHECK TIMELINE FOR OTHER DETAILS.

AOS:

FILED:03\08\2011

NOA1 DATE: 03\11\2011

BIO:04\13\2011

I-485 TRANSFER:04\27\2011

APPROVED EAD:04\28\2011

APPROVED AP:04\28\2011

EAD"COMBO CARD" IN HAND: 05\06\2011

I-485 CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED: 05\31\2011

I-485 DECISION: 05\31\2011

I-485 APPROVED:05\31\2011

GREEN CARD IN HAND:06\04\2011

Yes, the certified marriage certificate is one of the most important documents needed to adjust status.

Is there a way to have it expedited? That is a looooong wait. I picked up my marriage certificate on the spot, but that was in the state of VT.

If not, then just use the time that you are waiting for it to prepare everything else needed on your AOS packet, and send it right away when it does arrive :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

We will live in Maryland where my Fiancee/future wife has an apartment and are Married in Hawaii. Guess Il have to do some more research into gettin it quicker. Im sure im not the first person in this situation and the USCIS must have a solution for this.....................I HOPE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

We will live in Maryland where my Fiancee/future wife has an apartment and are Married in Hawaii. Guess Il have to do some more research into gettin it quicker. Im sure im not the first person in this situation and the USCIS must have a solution for this.....................I HOPE

After you are married, and the license is filed with the court in Hawaii, try using this online ordering system: https://www.ehawaii.gov/doh/vitrec/exe/vitrec.cgi

You can also apply in person or by mail: http://hawaii.gov/health/vital-records/vital-records/vital_records.html

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I explained our immigration situation to the Justice of the Peace who married us, and I asked if we could hand-carry the signed marriage license to the courthouse ourselves. He readily agreed. After the ceremony, we beat it down to the county courthouse and ordered 7 marriage certificates. The clerk had never had a request for so many, but she prepared them without complaint ($7 each). After giving souvenir copies to our respective mothers, sending one in the AOS package, giving one to the bank to prove that the wife could be on a joint account, surrendering one for some other reason, and keeping one for the wife to carry on her person at all times (this can pay off massively in many circumstances), we have one left, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

I explained our immigration situation to the Justice of the Peace who married us, and I asked if we could hand-carry the signed marriage license to the courthouse ourselves. He readily agreed. After the ceremony, we beat it down to the county courthouse and ordered 7 marriage certificates. The clerk had never had a request for so many, but she prepared them without complaint ($7 each). After giving souvenir copies to our respective mothers, sending one in the AOS package, giving one to the bank to prove that the wife could be on a joint account, surrendering one for some other reason, and keeping one for the wife to carry on her person at all times (this can pay off massively in many circumstances), we have one left, si man.

This is what we did too! And we asked for 5 and it was $10 each.. :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

We (also) took our (signed) marriage license to the county clerk's office and had it recorded ourselves. Walked out with our marriage certificate a few minutes later. Otherwise it would have taken a couple of weeks (or so) for it to filter through the system.

May be state/county dependent - ask the marrying official.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

We got married at the county clerk's office, so we walked out with a certified copy of our marriage certificate. :blush:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We also got married at the county clerk's office (in LA), but the woman wasn't having any of it when I asked if we could get a copy the same day. We were told the wait would be 4 - 6 weeks, but it only took about 3 weeks. I know it sucks waiting and feeling like you're wasting time, but just get everything else ready for AOS & send it when the marriage certificate arrives.

Good luck :)

ETA: We also ordered 5 copies (at $14 each!!) and got a strange look.

Edited by CBM

May 25th, 2010 : Filed I-129F at CSC

June 1st, 2010 : NoA1

June 7th, 2010 : Touch

October 19th, 2010: Touch

October 20th, 2010: NoA2! (141 days)

November 8th, 2010: Received Packet 3 from Montreal

November 10th, 2010: Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

November 25th: Received Packet 4 & Scheduled interview!

March 8th, 2011: Interview in Montreal - Approved!

April 30th, 2011: Move to CA

May 6th, 2011: Married <3

May 31st, 2011: Filed AOS

June 6th, 2011: NoA1

June 13th, 2011: Received Notice for Biometrics

July 7th, 2011: Biometrics

August 22, 2011: AOS Interview - Approved!

August 29th, 2011: Greencard in hand!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Hello, I hope someone can help me out here.

I am in the process of obtaining my K1 Visa. I arrive IN the US August 16th 2011 (if all goes to plan) Married to my US citizen Fiancee Sept 10th in Hawaii.

My problem is-once we return from our Honeymoon and apply for AOS it requires a certified copy of our marriage certificate. Now this can take anything from 60days to 120 days to process!!!!

Can I still apply for my AOS?

You don't need to file AOS in the 90 days. You can file it later so don't stress about that.

AOS doesn't require a certified copy of your marriage certificate, it needs a photocopy of your marriage certificate (the official one, not the church one). So yes I suppose you do need the certified one but only need a photocopy of it for AOS.

I would find out if there's anyway to expedite getting the certificate though. Filing AOS sooner is always better than later.

Thanks everyone..... I have another question!!SORRY!

With the affidavit of support-if my fiancee completes one now for the interview at the US Embassy in London do we still need to do another one when I adjust my status after marriage?

Also when you have to state household size for the poverty guidelines is it including me or only those dependants living with my fiancee now like kids etc?

Thanks again!

Jon

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks everyone..... I have another question!!SORRY!

With the affidavit of support-if my fiancee completes one now for the interview at the US Embassy in London do we still need to do another one when I adjust my status after marriage?

Also when you have to state household size for the poverty guidelines is it including me or only those dependants living with my fiancee now like kids etc?

Thanks again!

Jon

For the visa application/interview, you will need the I-134 affidavit of support. When you file for AOS, you will need the I-864 affidavit of support.

For the household size, it is the sponsor/petitioner and any dependents they have, plus the beneficiary/immigrant.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.