476 posts in this topic

I am not aware of any special processing requirements based on what state you live in. All those adjusting from a K-1 follow the same guide and send the same required forms and documentation. Everyone mails the paperwork to the same Chicago Lockbox address as well.

I live in Oklahoma. What are these special requirements? The link is dead.

This was regarding Capt. Ewok's post on page 1 of this thread from many years ago. There was a pilot program running at the time, memo is here: http://www.regulations.gov/contentStreamer?objectId=0900006480254a57&disposition=inline&contentType=html

As noted in the memo, the pilot has ended, so the current rules & instructions for AOS are what you should follow. :thumbs:

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

This was regarding Capt. Ewok's post on page 1 of this thread from many years ago. There was a pilot program running at the time, memo is here: http://www.regulations.gov/contentStreamer?objectId=0900006480254a57&disposition=inline&contentType=html

As noted in the memo, the pilot has ended, so the current rules & instructions for AOS are what you should follow. good.gif

Ahh, I assumed it had something to do at the time of the post, but since the post is from 2006 was no longer applicable. Thanks for the link.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Im from Philadelphia, and i got a email for my AOS,EAD,AP application that it routed to NBC? what is this mean, thought they will rout it to philadelphia field office... need enlightenment.

K1 Visa.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

I-129F Sent : 2012-01-26

Interview Date : 2013-03-04

Visa Received : 2013-03-11

US Entry : 2013-05-02

Marriage : 2013-05-13

EAD/AP

May 24.2013 (Day 1 ) Mailed may 24, 2013

May 28 .2013(Day 4 ) Recieved: may 28 and 30, 2013( AOS,AP,EAD online and text)

June 27.2013(Day 34 ) Biometric: june 27 walked in ,(scheduled july 2.)

July 26.2013 (Day 58 ) EAD/AP approved Card in Production (july 26)

August 3.2013(Day 65 ) EAD/AP card recieved ( aug 3)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Im from Philadelphia, and i got a email for my AOS,EAD,AP application that it routed to NBC? what is this mean, thought they will rout it to philadelphia field office... need enlightenment.

All AOS applications are sent to the NBC. When adjusting from a K-1, your case will either stay at the NBC and be approved without interview, or it will be transferred from there to your local office for interview.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

All AOS applications are sent to the NBC. When adjusting from a K-1, your case will either stay at the NBC and be approved without interview, or it will be transferred from there to your local office for interview.

thanks jay-kay.

K1 Visa.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

I-129F Sent : 2012-01-26

Interview Date : 2013-03-04

Visa Received : 2013-03-11

US Entry : 2013-05-02

Marriage : 2013-05-13

EAD/AP

May 24.2013 (Day 1 ) Mailed may 24, 2013

May 28 .2013(Day 4 ) Recieved: may 28 and 30, 2013( AOS,AP,EAD online and text)

June 27.2013(Day 34 ) Biometric: june 27 walked in ,(scheduled july 2.)

July 26.2013 (Day 58 ) EAD/AP approved Card in Production (july 26)

August 3.2013(Day 65 ) EAD/AP card recieved ( aug 3)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hello, First time post. First I want to say thanks for all the info from the forum. Its been a great help in my wife's visa process.

I need some advice on what my next move should be. I hope someone can help.

My situation: My wife is from Sweden. Our Fiance K-1 Visa was approved and she arrived in USA yesterday 6-05-13. We were married today and already have our marriage certificate. I have all the paperwork ready to be shipped out for our Adjustment of Status. Here is the issue.

I am a professional hockey player in Sweden, and she has one more year of dental school in Sweden. We both need to leave the U.S and be in Sweden by Sept 1, the latest. Also we will both be out of the USA for 8-9 months.

Should we apply for our AOS, or not? I have form I-131 advance parole, ready to be mailed out with my AOS, but I am not sure if we can be out of the country for that amount of time and it still be applicable. Also I am reading we will also need to be present at an interview sometime before she receives her green card. Has anyone been in this situation? Just need some advice on what my next move should be. We plan to only be in the USA for only 2-4 months a year for the next 3 years. . Should we wait to get her Green Card?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks everyone for your time.

• 1 month later...

I came to United States as British citizen with visa waiver, I got married to my wife here in February 2013 then went back to the UK, I came back in June to live permanently with my wife, we have no kids yet but we are trying to have children together, I have applied for the I-130 and got a receipt of acknowledgement. I'm following the instruction on the uscis homepage which describe my situation as " green card for a family member of a permanent residence" my wife holds a green card as a permanent residence, reading further on the homepage it states also . Get a green card while inside the United States. We have done the first part.

1. Petition with I-130

2. I-485 application for adjustment of status is the next as it was explained on the homepage.

My question is? At what point should we apply for the I-485 because we just got the receipt letter from uscis with priority date July 17,2013. Preference classification :201 B INA SPOUSE OF USC. Please advice.

God bless you all.

Isthiano,

Your preference class was misclassified by USCIS, given that your spouse is a permanent resident and not a US Citizen (201 B INA SPOUSE OF USC). I would make an infopass appointment with your local USCIS office right away to clear this up. Otherwise, you will eventually wind up with negative results on your application. You really don't want that hassle factor.

Regards,

VisaJourney Moderation

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So we just got an RFE for our I-485 for only sending the DS-3025 and not the I-693 filled out by the civil surgeon. When making the appointment to get the form filled out they said it would be $50, no problems. Unfortunately I had to work so my husband went to this appointment alone. They ended up giving him ANOTHER medical exam and testing him for tb and std's as well resulting in a $220 charge! I have called them and am arguing with them about the medical exam and charge for it due to the fact that I personally made the appt and asked the appropriate questions as well as sent him with all documentation of his vaccinations done in the UK and the RFE letter stating just the vaccination portion needed to be filled out. My question now is, should they have done a tb and std test as well? I cant seem to find any info on this. My understanding was that they were only supposed to transfer his vaccination documents from the UK to the I-693 and sign it, not do anything else...can someone please confirm? Thanks in advance!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~This thread is primarily a "pinned" informational thread, and as such, is not regularly read by forum members.~~

~For a quicker response, consider posting your new inquiry in a new topic thread in this forum.~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone- my first time post....

So I recently got a Letter from the NVC saying that I needed to pay some fees due before they start processing.... However I will be applying for AOS (Since Im already in the US working on the H1B visa)

As I understand, I have to get a full medical examination done and have the civil sergeon complete the I 693 for me.

My questions:

1. Any reccomendations for a good civil surgeon in the Milwaukee downtown area?

2. Is a full physical examination required?

3. I have a records of all the vaccinations that I've had over the past 10 years (required by the various universities in the US)- Will this count towards anything?

BIG THANK YOU!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

anyone could help me...i am very confused about this police clearance, do i really need to get a state police clearance? if so how?thanks im already applying for my aos....

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

So we just got an RFE for our I-485 for only sending the DS-3025 and not the I-693 filled out by the civil surgeon. When making the appointment to get the form filled out they said it would be $50, no problems. Unfortunately I had to work so my husband went to this appointment alone. They ended up giving him ANOTHER medical exam and testing him for tb and std's as well resulting in a $220 charge! I have called them and am arguing with them about the medical exam and charge for it due to the fact that I personally made the appt and asked the appropriate questions as well as sent him with all documentation of his vaccinations done in the UK and the RFE letter stating just the vaccination portion needed to be filled out. My question now is, should they have done a tb and std test as well? I cant seem to find any info on this. My understanding was that they were only supposed to transfer his vaccination documents from the UK to the I-693 and sign it, not do anything else...can someone please confirm? Thanks in advance!

Erikashea, you are correct that they should only have done the vaccination form--that was all that was needed. I gather it's common that civil surgeons will insist on performing a full exam even when it's not needed, but that they would do this kind of bait-and-switch is pretty egregious. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi, quick question. My hubsand and I are now going through the AOS process as we married in June (in England) and he is here in the States under this ESTA. One of the questions (#22) on the I-130 states, "Your relative is in the United States and will apply for adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident at the USCIS office in:" (www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-130.pdf)

Now does that mean what city & state we are applying in (i.e. San Diego) or does it mean which lockbox we are sending the documents to (i.e. Chicago, IL)? Thanks!

Side note: We are doing the AOS under his ESTA after visiting a field office and the office recommened we go the AOS route as he is already here legally.

Filed: Timeline

Hi, quick question. My hubsand and I are now going through the AOS process as we married in June (in England) and he is here in the States under this ESTA. One of the questions (#22) on the I-130 states, "Your relative is in the United States and will apply for adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident at the USCIS office in:" (www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-130.pdf)

Now does that mean what city & state we are applying in (i.e. San Diego) or does it mean which lockbox we are sending the documents to (i.e. Chicago, IL)? Thanks!

Side note: We are doing the AOS under his ESTA after visiting a field office and the office recommened we go the AOS route as he is already here legally.

Put the USCIS field office closest to where you're living: http://www.uscis.gov/fieldoffices

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.