476 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I have a question about AOS too, i came by k1 n married within 90 days, my marriage certificate just has my single name as the recorder didn't ask for name change after married and we didn't know about that. I sent my AOS papers by using my new name, i used my christian name as my first name (i sent my baptizm letter as the only evidence), my single name as my middle name and my husband last name as my last name ( i sent my marriage certificate). I also sent my DoD card copy as my husband is active member in military and it has my new name. Do you think it will be okay?

If you didn't opt for a name change during your marriage then keep your original name during application. I am not sure if USCIS recognizes baptizm letter, if not then you will get RFE and you will have to explain all these. Name change will cost you a lot if you haven't changed it during marriage.

Keeping your older name won't create any issue. You need not change your name after marriage, that's optional.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

If you didn't opt for a name change during your marriage then keep your original name during application. I am not sure if USCIS recognizes baptizm letter, if not then you will get RFE and you will have to explain all these. Name change will cost you a lot if you haven't changed it during marriage.

Keeping your older name won't create any issue. You need not change your name after marriage, that's optional.

If the USCIS recognize my baptizm letter, do you think it will be okay?. If USCIS can issue my greencard with my new name, do you think i still need to go to the court to change my name?. I want to change my name as i always have trouble with paperworks asking for my first and last name, i just has one single name (in one word,no last or first name). I hope my new name is acceptable *fingers cross*

Timeline

If the USCIS recognize my baptizm letter, do you think it will be okay?. If USCIS can issue my greencard with my new name, do you think i still need to go to the court to change my name?. I want to change my name as i always have trouble with paperworks asking for my first and last name, i just has one single name (in one word,no last or first name). I hope my new name is acceptable *fingers cross*

If uscis recognizes baptism letter and they don't see any issue means its legal. Then you can happily use your new name. I am not sure if baptism letter is valid for a legal name change. Uscis won't approve anything until its legal.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

If uscis recognizes baptism letter and they don't see any issue means its legal. Then you can happily use your new name. I am not sure if baptism letter is valid for a legal name change. Uscis won't approve anything until its legal.

My baptizm letter has seal, it was issued by the church and i sent my DoD which was issued by the military base and it has my new name there, are they good enough?

• 1 month later...
Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi, my category is F2A, i filed my I485, I131 and EAD on 3/18/13 and i received receipts on 4/1/13. I just wanted an estimate of how long before i receive my work authorization?

Second question, my priority date is 2/16/09 does that make it current?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

hello Vj's I just got married also, my visa expires on may 13. when should i file for AOS. I know it has to be ASAP but when is m deadline? when can I apply for my driver's license and social security number?? any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

:D

I-129F Sent : 2012-01-30

I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-09

I-129F RFE(s) : 2012-08-17

RFE Reply(s) : 2012-09-27

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-10-18

NVC Received : 2012-10-25

NVC Left : 2012-10-29

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received : 2012-11-08

Interview Date : 2013-01-07

Interview Result :

What do I put for current USCIS status on the i-485 and what is my non immigrant visa number? Is that the control number or the Annotation number on my visa?

Edited by MmmBlondie

• 2 weeks later...

What do I put for current USCIS status on the i-485 and what is my non immigrant visa number? Is that the control number or the Annotation number on my visa?

Your current USCIS status is K-1 Visa Holder. Your non-immigrant visa number is that printed in RED ink. The number that appears in the Annotation and starts with A#, is actually your Alien Number.

• 1 month later...
Filed: F-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

A copy of petitioner's proof of permanent residency. (If applicable)

A copy of petitioner's proof of naturalization. (If applicable)

What does proof of naturalization mean and proof of permanent residency.

Timeline

A copy of petitioner's proof of permanent residency. (If applicable)

A copy of petitioner's proof of naturalization. (If applicable)

What does proof of naturalization mean and proof of permanent residency.

If your sponsor is a a GC holder then his proof of GC.

If your Sponsor is a naturalized citizen (not citizen by birth) then his naturalization certificate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I live in Oklahoma. What are these special requirements? The link is dead.

I am not aware of any special processing requirements based on what state you live in. All those adjusting from a K-1 follow the same guide and send the same required forms and documentation. Everyone mails the paperwork to the same Chicago Lockbox address as well.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.