476 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi, and congrats on your new marriage.....

I just got married in February of 2006, and my timeline was short, just like yours. We applied in February, and my interview was June, 2006. Yes, this THE ACTUAL interview...there is no second one. Why they put initial interview on the form I'll never know....

I actually had the interview before I had a social security number. This presented an interesting problem, because I wanted to show we had a bona fide marriage. Therefore, whatever you do, (if you haven't already) get your wife added to your lease or house documents, add her to your medical insurance, and add her to your bank account. All of these things can be done without a social security number...I know, because I did it...if the bank tells you no, they are misinformed. You can't open a new account without a social security number, but you can add someone to your account temporarily until they get one. ( US bank did this for my husband and I and gave me a letter stating they were aware of my pending social security number to take with me to the interview) Don't just rely on wedding documents for proof of valid marriage...because of marriage fraud, they look for actual documents that support your claim you are building a life TOGETHER.......

You may have done all this, I just thought I'd let you know if you hadn't. In answer to your question about travel, once you have your interview and have been approved for temporary permanent residency (2 year temporary because of short time of marriage) you will receive your permanent resident card in about 2 weeks, and then you can travel outside of the country. The permanent resident card is what enables you to re enter the United States...since you can't get a passport if you are not a US citizen, it serves as the document you need for travel. You may be approved before your permission to travel outside the United States documents (advanced parole) are ever processed.

Also, they will tell you right at the interview if you are approved, and just like my approval, it will be 2 year conditional, because you haven't been married 2 years yet: then you will have to fill out a new form in about 18 months for removal of conditional status...at that time they look at documents to support your ongoing marriage and that you have actually built a life together...(legal documents such as buying property, life insurance, joint tax returns etc etc....)

If you have any questions about what documents to bring to the interview, let me know....there are are so many rumours out there about what you need or don't need, and they want documents that support your building your marriage together (not just wedding photos) when you are applying for AOS alone...They want to see you are starting to build a life together....

Again, congrats and hope this helps... :)

Timeline

Dear friend

My questions concern the way one fills up I-485 Form:

1) On Part 1 ("Information About You") where it asks you to put your "Family Name" what do you put: your name or the name of your husband since you got married? e.g.: my name is Emanon. I got married and my husband's name is Myhuby; WHAT name do I put there?

2) On Part 2 ("Prossecing Information"), it asks for the "Nonimmigrant Visa Number": is this the number that the visa on my passport has on top right, under the name of "CONTROL NUMBER" (which is a 12 digit number)?

3) On that same Section but on page 4, the boxes that I am supposed to click "NO" can NOT be clicked (I have no idea why, but the program doesn't allow me to click those, though the others on the rest of the pages it allows me to click them). Can I put an "X" with a black pen?

4) The "proofs of evidence" (joint bank accounts, photos, etc.) have to be sent with the whole A.O.S. Package to the Chicago, IL office or I simply gather them and bring them to the interview only?

5) Do we both need to fill up the G-325A Form?

6) On G-325A Form, should my fiancee put her family name or my name since we got married?

7) My fiancee's Birth Certificate has all the info written in boxes (something like the Forms we are asked to fill from U.S.C.I.S. that every name and data are put inside a box). I will make the translation and I was wondering if I should put all the translated things into boxes as well, same way they appear on her original Birth Certificate or should I do a regular translation (without boxes)?

I 'd like to apologize for all the mess and the loss of time I might have brought to you. I am anxious as one can not imagine with all this paperwork and twice as nervous as one can be because I don't have but a couple more days before I leave for an overseas trip (my job is too unpredicted on what concerns its schedule) and I want to fill the Forms on time, so all answers that can be of any kinda help, are greatly appreciated. I REALLY appreciate all your kind help in answering these questions; I REALLY do.

May the good Lord bless you and your families.

Timeline

One last thing:

Is the "A# NUMBER" the number the Immigration Officer wrote on her passport, above the Visa, upon her entry in the U.S. which is a 9 digit number (A 000-000-000) the one that we have to put on Page 1 of I-485 Form?

An ocean of "thanks" to all of you.

Timeline

One last thing:

Is the "A# NUMBER" the number the Immigration Officer wrote on her passport, above the Visa, upon her entry in the U.S. which is a 9 digit number (A 000-000-000) the one that we have to put on Page 1 of I-485 Form?

An ocean of "thanks" to all of you.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi there! i just want to ask regarding my case i arrive here in US Jan22,2011 we got married April 14 2011 ,we pass our AOS April 21,2011 b4 my I-94 expire april 22 ,2011,but we forget to file my I-765,my question is can we still file I-765 late?and how i can get a SSN?

Hi there! i just want to ask regarding my case i arrive here in US Jan22,2011 we got married April 14 2011 ,we pass our AOS April 21,2011 b4 my I-94 expire april 22 ,2011,but we forget to file my I-765,my question is can we still file I-765 late?and how i can get a SSN?

Hi there! Please join the April filers on our thread.. And yes you can still file but wait for your i-485 noa1 then send it in with a copy of that so that you don't need to pay a separate fee

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi all,

Quick question. I am filing my wifes AOS this week (a little late, i94 expired on 4/12, we had to wait until after our daughter was born so she could get the proper immunizations) Anyway, we filed for and recieved her SSN before we got married, thus her name is listed as her maiden name. Yesterday we went back to the SSN office to change her name, and were told once we got married, she is out of status as a K1 and they can only do the name change AFTER her status is adjusted. I argued with them for awhile, and got no where. So the question is, will this have any negative impact on the AOS? here last name is now mine, as proven on the marriage cert. I am wondering if I should just omit her SSN on the i 485 etc? Any advice is aappreciated.

01-June-2010 I-129F Filed CSC Finally!!!!! After almost three years and 1 baby! Its a great day!

08-June-2010 NOA1

11-June-2010 'touched'

25-October-2010 NOA2

01-November-2010 NVC Received

03-November-2010 Placed into AP at NVC : (

18-November-2010 Case Sent to Manila 18 days in AP..not too bad!

6-7 December- 2010 Medical at SLCC...PASSED!Thank you Lord!

20-December-2010 Interview, USEM VISA APPROVED!

3-Jan-2011, Visa received

12-Jan-2011, POE SEATTLE WASHINGTON USA

11-Feb-2011, Married in Minneapolis MN : )

The SS office is correct - but the maiden name SSN is normal because there is often a transition period with name changes. USCIS is a federal body and will accept the marriage cert as a valid name change document, and the fact that her SSN is in her maiden name won't change anything at all. You can get it changed to married name when she gets her EAD.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I want to fill out my AOS and need help!

I got here as visitor on aug. 06 and got married on sep. 10 and blessed with our baby girl on January 2011; on what I know I need to fill out form I-130, I-485, G-325 and i don't know if I need to Apply in San Antonio Texas since we live in Austin Texas or send it to the Chicago facility

Also my husband lost his citizenship certificate but he has his us passport and I don't know if we will be having problems with not to having the certificate!

I want to know if anyone has experienced this area or any tips! We need a lots of help!

as1cHsVuM2B0610MTAwODkyNGxzfDEwMDk5MzhzfFdlIGJlZW4gbWFycmllZCBmb3I.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

I want to fill out my AOS and need help!

I got here as visitor on aug. 06 and got married on sep. 10 and blessed with our baby girl on January 2011; on what I know I need to fill out form I-130, I-485, G-325 and i don't know if I need to Apply in San Antonio Texas since we live in Austin Texas or send it to the Chicago facility

Also my husband lost his citizenship certificate but he has his us passport and I don't know if we will be having problems with not to having the certificate!

I want to know if anyone has experienced this area or any tips! We need a lots of help!

Your husband also has to fill out form I-864 Affidavit of Support and you have to have a medical exam done at a Civil Surgeon. You have to send the application to Chicago Lockbox, not your local office.

Follow this guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Passport is accepted as proof of citizenship.

My Immigration Journey:

K1: June 2010 - December 2010

AOS: April 2011 - June 2011

ROC: April 2013 - August 2013

Naturalization: March 2014 - August 2014

Hi, guys

Would you please help me with some question regarding AOS based on marriage with USC

1. Do we need letter from petitioner's bank to send with AOS application?

2. Do we both need to fill out G0325A? If yes, so we need 4 pages for each of us?

Thank you so much

Yes. it can count as proof of income and in the case that both yourself and your spouse's names are on the account it shows intent of bonifide marriage.

and you only need one copy unlike in the case of doing a visa petition but I think I sent them all since if you fill out the form online it auto prints it onto 4 pages. It can't hurt to send them all though

TIMELINE

Marriage : 2009-03-11

I-130 Sent : 2009-06-01

I-130 NOA1 : 2009-06-03

I-129F Sent : 2009-07-02

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-07-06

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-08-25

Interview Date : 2009-11-12

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2009-12-03

US Entry : 2010-02-08

I-130 Approval : 2009-08-25

Port of Entry : JFK

POE Date : 2010-02-08

Got EAD Stamp : Yes,EAD Card

Biometrics Taken : Yes

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : MSC Local Office: New York City

Date Filed : 2010-09-23

NOA Date : 2010-09-30

Bio. Appt. : 2010-12-14

Approval Date: 2011-04-19

Got I551 Stamp : No

Greencard Received: No

Comments : No Interview, just received a notice online that card processing is in completion. step-sons status is currently still showing the same, last touch on 10/20/2011 and no update as of yet.

Employment Authorization Document

Approved Date : 2010-12-20

Date Card Received : 2010-12-30

Advance Parole

Date Received : 2010-11-01

Your husband also has to fill out form I-864 Affidavit of Support and you have to have a medical exam done at a Civil Surgeon. You have to send the application to Chicago Lockbox, not your local office.

Passport is considered proof of U.S. citizenship and a copy of the biometrics page where his picture is should be enough. I have although heard of the actual Neutralization certificate if thats what you mean by citizenship certificate being asked for during the interview and in the cases where the parties did not have it on their person, they were sent home to get it.

TIMELINE

Marriage : 2009-03-11

I-130 Sent : 2009-06-01

I-130 NOA1 : 2009-06-03

I-129F Sent : 2009-07-02

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-07-06

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-08-25

Interview Date : 2009-11-12

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2009-12-03

US Entry : 2010-02-08

I-130 Approval : 2009-08-25

Port of Entry : JFK

POE Date : 2010-02-08

Got EAD Stamp : Yes,EAD Card

Biometrics Taken : Yes

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : MSC Local Office: New York City

Approval Date: 2011-04-19

Got I551 Stamp : No

Greencard Received: No

Comments : No Interview, just received a notice online that card processing is in completion. step-sons status is currently still showing the same, last touch on 10/20/2011 and no update as of yet.

Employment Authorization Document

Approved Date : 2010-12-20

Date Card Received : 2010-12-30

Advance Parole

Date Received : 2010-11-01

Timeline

Thank you so much :)

Passport is considered proof of U.S. citizenship and a copy of the biometrics page where his picture is should be enough. I have although heard of the actual Neutralization certificate if thats what you mean by citizenship certificate being asked for during the interview and in the cases where the parties did not have it on their person, they were sent home to get it.

well just in case ill make sure we have it by then :)

Timeline

Another question! i been looking for my visa number and it doesn't clearly said on my visa b1/b2, it has a bunch of numbers on the bottom of it, it was done in mexico so anyone know which is the visa number?

Timeline

Ive got another question on FORM I-485 on PART 3.C it says to list past and present memberships or organizations, Does helping in a youth Adults and Adults Groups count? it was for church...I was also an Usher

Edited by Judii

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.