keka

Can i bring here my sister?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi everybody!

I have a little (maybe) big problem . . my sister is 13 years old . . my dad past away 5 years a go and my sister is living with my uncles but they are so bad at her , telling her about food,why she have friends , everything! . . anyways , she is having a really bad time.

Her mom leave her with my dad when she was 4 years old , so i dont know if i can bring her here , i am resident and i came here to Boston with a K1 visa , i got my green card 2 weeks a go . .

Can i bring her to the US? her mom its not my mom , so we share one last name , my dad's.

We dont have idea where is her mom or her family . . i am the only person that she have now . .

What can i do?

Thanks for your help T_T

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Sorry. Nothing you can do at least till you're a citizen and the wait time is several years. One option might be to get a student visa for her.. but I don't even know if that's possible for high school students. Hopefully someone else can help you.

Unfortunately she DOES have people, her uncles. They might not be nice but they're still her family so the "she doesn't have anyone" thing doesn't work.

I hope you're able to find a solution. Your only choice may be to go back to Mexico to live with your husband if you're really worried about her.

Timeline

Sorry. Nothing you can do at least till you're a citizen and the wait time is several years. One option might be to get a student visa for her.. but I don't even know if that's possible for high school students. Hopefully someone else can help you.

Unfortunately she DOES have people, her uncles. They might not be nice but they're still her family so the "she doesn't have anyone" thing doesn't work.

I hope you're able to find a solution. Your only choice may be to go back to Mexico to live with your husband if you're really worried about her.

Thank you . . it hurt so much . . but thanks for the replay . .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yes, a student (F1) visa would be the only way. They are available for secondary school, but it would need to be a private school, and you'd be responsible for all the fees.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There may be a chance, but something that would need legal advise.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

To apply for a sibling you must be a USC to file then the wait is over 10 years so your sister will be in her late 20's or early 30's at the earliest. If you can afford to pay for a private school that is large enough to deal with international students it would be a possibility. But such a school would probably be 20 -40k a year.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes, F1 will be an option for her. You may have to work two jobs to support her (studies) and your family.

If you want to get your USC fast and petition your sister, join the military and you will get your USC in 1 year.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8066925138937638623#
Angels Still Don't Play This HAARP

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you guys!

What happen if my sister in law , ask for her? can we do that? She is US Citizen . .

Not sure what your question here but no one can petition an in-law.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8066925138937638623#
Angels Still Don't Play This HAARP

Timeline

I saw that she can come with student visa even for study in a public school! . . But i think she can stay just one year and then i have to take her to a private school . . what kind of lawyer should i ask?

Can i do it with out the lawyer?

Im resident now, my husband is USC . . she have to speak english for student visa? she dont know a word in english . .

Edited by keka

I saw that she can come with student visa even for study in a public school! . . But i think she can stay just one year and then i have to take her to a private school . . what kind of lawyer should i ask?

Im resident now, my husband is USC . . she have to speak english for student visa? she dont know a word in english . .

Public school at a cost, you will have to pay for your sister to attend a public school she will not be a resident of the US. There is no easy or debt free way for you to accomplish the task of bringing your sister here on a student visa, On a side note, she would have to be accepted into the school before she would be issued a student visa.

Filed: Timeline

While many illegal children attend public school without paying for it, the situation is different if a child enters the US on an F1 student visa. The child's family would have to pay for public school. There is no free education for foreign nationals who arrive on an F1 student visa.

In addition, it would be incredibly tough to get a 13 years old like your sister an F1 visa. First, her ties to Mexico is weak based on your description. Mom is deceased. Father's where about is unknown. Child has a sister living in the US as an LPR. Weak ties to the home country. Probably will have an incredibly tough time overcoming the presumption that every visitor has the intent to immigrate.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

hmmm adotion would be difficult she is not orphan, she has her mom and it just moms wherabouts are unkown.

Also the OP and sister are related by half blood, they only have one parent common, it would be extremely difficult to bring her.

Your in-law cannot sponsor her, you need blood relation and it takes years in that category to come over. Also only pvt school is where she would be able to attend to, for her to attend school in US she will need i-20 never heard of public school issuing an i-20. (I could be wrong on that one but never I have come across where public school issues i-20 for high school) and with no english its going to be hard for her.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.