Dodobird

Airline does not let me check in w/K1

27 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

"There is no process to "Adjust your status from Non-immigrant K-1 to Immigrant Visa category".

Isn't that what you do when get married and file for I-485? Changing your status from Non-immigrant to an immigrant based on your marriage to USC.

no. AOS from a K-1 has NOTHING to do with 'Immigrant Visa Category'

AOS is AOS, not 'Immigrant Visa'.

Many Immigrant Visa holders receive a Green Card without further processing, but

MOST AOS wannabees receive a Green Card with further processing.

Commonality is the green card.

----

DodoBird - this sounds like a '24 hour window' problem and nothing related to your visa or visa type.

24 hours is 24 hours. Relax, la.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I know Continental and United do this. They do it at the check-in counter where you check your bags/get your ticket. They also do it before you can board the airplane (in the U.S. anyway).

Delta is another one. Both times I flew with Delta and Continental I was unable to check-in online and had to do it at the counter and before boarding.

event.png

Filed: Country:
Timeline
Well K1 is immigrant visa. so there is AOS but its not from non-immigrant to immigrant.

Again, no it is not.

The K-1 is technically as dual-intent visa. It allows non-immigrant entry with immigrant intent and the specific ability to Adjust Status from Visitor to Resident.

If it were an immigrant visa then there would be no Adjustment of Status required as a Greencard would be ordered upon entry.

it's nothing to worry about, it has happened to me a couple of times, specially on international flights and sometimes on last minute flight, my flight would be confirmed but was unable to do online checking. Most of the time the online checking line at the airport is much shorter so I would take the rejection noticed and join that line if it's shorter, when i reach the counter i just let them know i wasn't able to complete the transaction online, it always worked for me.

As for traveling back for the summer, Try to get married and file for AOS as soon as you get here, the I131 travel permit looks like one of those NOOA forms, Once you have it then you can fly back home even though you may not have the temp green card yet, but with this form you won't have much issue with immigration.

Edited by Nikita2Charles

Gone but not Forgotten!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Austria
Timeline

Hmm that's really weird. I had no problem checking in online (with a CR-1)when I immigrated. But my first flight brought me from Austria to England and then to the US. And it was British Airway.

I changed the baggage to 3 pieces and just had to drop everything off at the airport.

Sorry you can't get the piece of mind to have checked in already but I'm sure everything will be fine tomorrow at the check in counter.

The other issue with the flight dates and AOS have already been discussed, so I won't even mention it anymore.

Alles wird gut und wenn es noch nicht gut ist, ist es noch nicht vorbei.

US Citizen as of Arpil 17 2014

Filed: Other Timeline

Well K1 is immigrant visa. so there is AOS but its not from non-immigrant to immigrant.

You'd think so, but the K-1 is actually a non-immigrant visa. It allows a foreigner to enter the US in order to get married to a US citizen. That's it.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Thank you all for your help! Wedding is this friday, and I will file AP right away, then it should be ok!!! Thank you soooooo much!!

Have a safe trip and congrats on your wedding!!!! :dance:

"Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same." ~ Charlotte Brönte

K1 Visa

2010-06-02: I-129F sent

2010-06-07: NOA1

2010-06-29: NOA2

2010-12-07: Interview Date Interview Result: Administrative Process

2011-02-14: Administrative Process ended. Happy Valentine's Day! hearts.gif

2011-02-22: Approved at Embassy

2011-02-25: Received K1 Visa!!!

2011-03-31: POE Miami, Florida USA!!! 35D.gif

2011-04-22: Wedding Day! Happy Earth Day!!

AOS

2011-05-20: Filed For AOS

2011-05-31: NOA1 for EAD & I-485, and Biometrics Appointment Letter

2011-06-16: RFE

2011-06-21: Biometrics for I-485 & EAD

2011-06-30: Transferred to CSC

2011-07-28: Received EAD card in mail!

2011-09-14: AOS Interview = APPROVED! BOOYAH!

2011-09-23: Greencard received! Blessed Autumn Equinox!

thenwestartedkissing.jpg

99gcic0s7e.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Delta is another one. Both times I flew with Delta and Continental I was unable to check-in online and had to do it at the counter and before boarding.

That's weird I have flown with Delta 3 times to and form here in the US and always beena ble to check in online the day before, never had an issue with them so whan I got to the airport all I had to do was drop my bag off so cool.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

NO... K-1 is actually a NON-IMMIGRANT visa... So the AOS is exactly as others have said...

Chck for yourself... right in the headline from the Department of State - "Nonimmigrant Visa for a Fiance(e) (K-1)"

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2994.html

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

That's weird I have flown with Delta 3 times to and form here in the US and always beena ble to check in online the day before, never had an issue with them so whan I got to the airport all I had to do was drop my bag off so cool.

I flew Delta the first time I went to Brazil and wasn't able to check in before my flight from the US. They had to check my passport and visa before I could check in. Maybe it was just me, but when I went in for my flight leaving Des Moines I tried to use the automated machines to print my tickets (since I wasn't able to do so online) and even that error-ed on me and the lady at the counter had to verify everything.

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.