Dodobird

Airline does not let me check in w/K1

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi everybody,

Maybe you can help me with this...

I tried to check in earlier online for my flight tomorrow from Frankfurt to San Francisco. However, the airline won't process my check-in and asks me to present my documents at the counter, despite the fact I punched in my visa number (K1). I have a return flight booked for the end of august (family event in my home country). Is that a problem?? I do not need ESTA right? I am travelling on a visa, so I don't need a Visa waiver, right? Sorry, guys, I am getting nervous and so excited to see my love tomorrow again... (L)

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Dodobird*

Hi everybody,

I tried to check in earlier online for my flight tomorrow from Frankfurt to San Francisco. However, the airline won't process my check-in and asks me to present my documents at the counter, despite the fact I punched in my visa number (K1). I have a return flight booked for the end of august (family event in my home country). Is that a problem?? I do not need ESTA right? I am travelling on a visa, so I don't need a Visa waiver, right? Sorry, guys, I am getting nervous and so excited to see my love tomorrow again... (L)

Dodobird*

Regardless of your ESTA benefit once you enter on K-1 you can't go back to Germany until you get your status adjusted. So, your return flight is not valid. Of course, you can go anytime but you will not be allowed back in US once after you marry here and you have file proper papers to adjust your status from Non-immigrant K-1 to Immigrant visa category. This will take i would say at least 6-8 months until you get your conditional green card. Of course you can send in an I-131 (Advance parole) application with your "adjustment of status" package requesting permission for re-entry after your planned trip in August.

You have to show your K-1 visa and the package (immigrant data sheet)the embassy gave you when checking in at the airport.

Very good luck to you both!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I think you will have to wait until you go to the airport and check in there. I think someone has to actually look at the visa, since you don't have ESTA. You shouldn't need ESTA though, since you have a K1. I have had flights before where online check-in was not allowed, but it was never a problem at the airport. I am not certain of this, but I think you will be okay. Also, your return ticket is fine. People enter on a K1 all the time with a return ticket because it is often cheaper than a one-way, so that will not cause a problem. Your return flight will still be valid. You probably already know this, but you need to file for AP right after your wedding if you are planning on going back to Germany in August. It takes 2-3 months to get it, and if you go without it, you will not be let back in to the States. BPO might ask about the return flight at POE.

I'm so excited for you! Have a safe journey!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi everybody,

Dodobird*

I know you can't check in till 24 hours before flight. I tried that from Australia and it has to be 24 hours exactly. Once you arrive here on your K1 you can't leave I am sorry. I mean you can but you wont get back in to the USA. Once you are married you will then file AOS (adjustment of status, green card) and with that you can send in I-131 (advanced parole) and EAD I-765 (work authority) These 2 forms are waivered in cost when you send along with your AOS which is $1070 inclusive of these 2 forms. Once they have received that you will get a receipt notice and then you will be sent an appointment letter for biometrics (finger printing and snap shot) Green card takes approx 4-5 months but your EAD and AP papers should take around 2 months. You cannot travel anywhere without that AP or your GC sorry. If you leave you will be abandoning your GC application and can enforce a ban on re entering.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Let's clarify a few things about this reply:

The return flight's validity has nothing to do with their immigrant/visa status. The flight is valid and the OP always has the option to use it. If they don't have either a Greencard or Advance Parole then there will be immigration ramifications.

There is no process to "Adjust your status from Non-immigrant K-1 to Immigrant Visa category". If the OP leaves the US prior to obtain either a Greencard or Advance Parole they would have to start a whole new Visa Application Process for a Spousal (CR-1) Immigrant Visa. The K-1 Visa died the second it was used to enter the US.

This may seem like picking nits to some but understanding the nuances of this stuff is generally important as it helps us avoid silly mistakes with large consequences.

"There is no process to "Adjust your status from Non-immigrant K-1 to Immigrant Visa category".

Isn't that what you do when get married and file for I-485? Changing your status from Non-immigrant to an immigrant based on your marriage to USC.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

"There is no process to "Adjust your status from Non-immigrant K-1 to Immigrant Visa category".

Isn't that what you do when get married and file for I-485? Changing your status from Non-immigrant to an immigrant based on your marriage to USC.

You adjust from non-immigrant status to immigrant status, not from K1 visa to Immigrant Visa. A visa is like a permission slip to enter the country. Once you use it, it isn't anything anymore. You aren't adjusting to another visa, because you are already in. You are adjusting your status. That's why bob 4 anna says it may sound nit-picky, but the subtle differences can be very important.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

No, the I-485 Adjusted your status of legal presence within the US.

When you entering using a K-1, you are admitted as a non-immigrant visitor and issued an I-94 which governs your period of authorized stay. The K-1 Visa is for entry only (as are all Visas) and had been used at this point.

By filing the I-485 you are requesting to adjust your status of legal presence from "Non-Immigrant Visitor" to "Legal Permanent Resident".

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

When I went to visit my fiance in Brasil, I was not allowed to check in online because they had to verify my tourist visa in person. I just went early to the airport and checked in there with no problems. Have a good trip!

event.png

No, the I-485 Adjusted your status of legal presence within the US.

When you entering using a K-1, you are admitted as a non-immigrant visitor and issued an I-94 which governs your period of authorized stay. The K-1 Visa is for entry only (as are all Visas) and had been used at this point.

By filing the I-485 you are requesting to adjust your status of legal presence from "Non-Immigrant Visitor" to "Legal Permanent Resident".

Thanks so much for clarifying this. I am so gldd for this website as this has lot of information.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi everybody,

Dodobird*

It isn't a problem. Most airlines need to verify that you have a visa in person before you can get your ticket. I know Continental and United do this. They do it at the check-in counter where you check your bags/get your ticket. They also do it before you can board the airplane (in the U.S. anyway).

Either way, you will be fine. Though, when people say you can't leave the country, what they mean is: If you do not have your AP document or Green Card when you leave, you will not be able to re-enter the U.S.

So if you want no immigration problems, you can not leave the U.S. until you have either of those items.

Edited by Blob18

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Well K1 is immigrant visa. so there is AOS but its not from non-immigrant to immigrant.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.