15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

My fiance is here! The only problem is trying to buy cigarettes. He has been told in two different locations that his French ID card is not sufficient enough and that he needs and American ID to buy them. Is this true? I cannot find it written anywhere. Isn't a valid foreign ID with a birth date on it good enough. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Thanks!

Staffordwhit

beat me to it...just have him use his passport.

Edited by Scott and Mhay

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

I've used either my Dutch ID card or driving license to buy cigarettes and alcohol, it is sufficient. But trying to convince someone of that might be tricky... Just try it at a different location, they should accept it somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Ive had many instances where people refuse to accept my English ID. I usually kick up a big fuss, about how I cant carry my passport around in case it gets stolen. If that doesnt work, its easier to just learn where will accept it, and where wont!

Nick (USC) and Amy (UKC)

03/08 - Met at University in Albuquerque, NM

08/08 - Back to UK for a few years of travelling UK>US!

10/10 - Wedding Day!

s88ndknc8v.png

USCIS

11/16/10: I-130 package mailed

11/18/10: Express Mail tracking shows delivered

11/23/10: Online banking shows check cleared!

11/26/10: Touched

11/29/10: NOA1 arrives!(dated as 11/18/10)

03/17/11: Touched

04/08/11: I-130 APPROVAL!!

141 days from NOA1 to NOA2

NVC

27/04/11: Emailed Choice of Agent form

~{gap as I spent the summer in England}~

03/11/11: Paid AOS and IV fees

04/11/11: AOS and IV fees shown as PAID

08/11/11: AOS Packet sent

09/11/11: IV Packet sent

18/11/11: RFE received requesting AOS packet (which had already been sent)

21/11/11: RFE received requesting 2010 tax return

22/11/11: Sent 2010 tax return

29/11/11: CASE COMPLETE!!!

26 days through NVC

EMBASSY

10/12/11: Medical @ Bentnick Mansions

30/01/12: Interview @ 9am [APPROVED!!]

01/02/12: Passport with visa inside, and medical packet arrive via courier

02/03/12: Flight to Denver!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

All I know is the ID has to be a government issued ID, that may includes a foreign DL, passport, or military ID. But businesses have their own policies, ie. some will ask for ID if they look 40 or under, while others will ask for ID if they look 30 and under. Same is true with the ID, some business may not accept certain types of ID's or may ask for a second ID if not convinced.

A foreign ID with a picture and DOB should be sufficient.

Edited by Joyjoy

02iqn7wnr.png

• 3 months later...

A great opportunity for him to quit smoking, save money, and improve his health, all in one strike!

:luv:

I do agree with Just Bob! I used my passport, but i am glad i made a decision to quit since cigrattes are way too expensive here in America, and i can tell it was a good choice for my health coz when i run i feel much better than before.

Citizenship

Service Center : Dallas/Lewisville, Texas Lockbox

CIS Office : Norfolk VA

05/31/2011 - Date Filed

06/03/2011 - NOA Date

06/08/2011 - Check Cashed

06/30/2011 - Bio. Appointment

07/05/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

08/15/2011 - Yellow Letter received - Dated August 11TH

09/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

09/15/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

10/19/2011 - Interview Appointment Date (Passed)

10/24/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath scheduled

10/26/2011 - Received Oath letter

11/16/2011 - Oath Taking

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

I used my passport to buy cigarettes for all the years I've been here. I've since quit, but the only time I ever had a problem was one stubborn store clerk who insisted a passport was more easily forged than a driver's license, so she didn't trust that mine was real. XD I walked across the street to a different store and got them there instead.

Married since 03/02/2011, AOS from F-1 visa, green card granted 05/24/2011.
Blessed with a healthy baby boy, 08/19/2011! We get to keep our family together! Thank you! smile.png

--

ROC

02/27/2013 - I-751 packet sent
03/04/2013 - NOA1
04/01/2013 - Biometrics

08/19/2013 - I-751 Approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I used my passport to buy cigarettes for all the years I've been here. I've since quit, but the only time I ever had a problem was one stubborn store clerk who insisted a passport was more easily forged than a driver's license, so she didn't trust that mine was real. XD I walked across the street to a different store and got them there instead.

Don't smoke but a family member visiting had this problem showed the clerk passport would not accept it. I got involved nearly got arrested.

Problems is most Americans dont have a passport and NO clue what one looks like. Very Sad I know but true

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Timeline

I've got you all beat, I had trouble using my US passport as ID for buying cigs/alcohol IN the US! Several places insisted I needed state issued ID and that a passport was not sufficient as it was federally issued, in addition it had to be from the state the store was located in( Texas) and no other state ID would be accepted. Trying to explain to them that a passport was more difficult to obtain than state ID, it never worked.

All places commented on the use of my passport, one woman admitted she had never before seen a passport.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If the passport option doesn't workout, he may be stuck asking a family member(you :)) here to buy them for him until he has US ID. While I myself speak french, I can see someone here in the US (who doesn't speak another language) looking at a foreign passport in another language and not knowing whether it's acceptable...they can get some pretty hefty fines if they sell to someone not of age.

I'd say something silly like - you're not in Kansas anymore, but it appears you're in Oklahoma :)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Have him/her smoke weed instead, Drug Dealers never ask for ID.......

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.