Wayne and Claudia

Abolish fiancee visas

72 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Fiancee visas are garbage. They are lifelong commitments for puppy love. If the USC doesn't have the guts to marry their "love" in his/her country or if that person doesn't have the means to get a tourist visa then maybe it's not "made to be." I will raise the stakes and say anyone who makes less than 45,000 a year should not even be considered to sponsor someone and no co-sponsors. I am just sick of reading things where people can't afford a 2,500 dollar trip at least every 6 months. Or they gripe about a 20 dollar charge for this or for that. Grow up folks. Life is expensive.

I'll agree with the bolded part of your statement. However, we still need a filter to keep out the undesirables.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This thread is destined to be a VJ classic.

Unless we can impress upon one of the organizers the need to move this to OT. Then it will die.

I'm not an Organizer - but I can imitate one in a pinch :D . Topic moved from Politics and Religion to Off Topic.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

I'm not an Organizer - but I can imitate one in a pinch :D . Topic moved from Politics and Religion to Off Topic.

Zoo...visas are politics...have a heart.

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Bogota, Colombia
Marriage: 2009-08-01
I-130 Sent : 2009-09-29
I-130 NOA1 : 2009-10-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-03-18
NVC Received : 2010-03-23
Case Completed at NVC : 2010-09-16
Interview Date : December 16, 2010
Interview Result : APPROVED
Visa Received : 12/27/10
US Entry :12/29/10
Two-year green card received: 1/19/11
SSN received: 2/2/11
Lifting of Conditions Filed 10/1/12
Lifting of Conditions NOA 10/9/12
Lifting of Conditions Biometrics Appt 10/31/12

Lifting of Conditions Approved 12/10/12

10-yr green card received 1/8/13

N-400 Naturalization Application 10/1/2013
Marital Bliss: Endless

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Few would be deterred. The majority would marry in the beneficiary's country and pursue a CR1, an (overall) quicker and cheaper route to permanent residence.

You'd really just end up discriminating against those in unfortunate circumstances.

Edited by faust-yusov

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Fiancee visas are garbage. They are lifelong commitments for puppy love. If the USC doesn't have the guts to marry their "love" in his/her country or if that person doesn't have the means to get a tourist visa then maybe it's not "made to be."

Perhaps you are projecting too much of your experience onto the matter without realizing not everyone does a K1 for the reasons you assume.

SOme people are separated due to military duty, some people have religious considerations.

SOme countries have requirements for marriage which makes it much more simpler to marry State-side.

Some people just want to be married in the Good ole USA for what ever reason.

THe real question should be, "is there a problem with the K1 type visa, ..high failure rate? High fraud?

Other than your opinion is there any other reason to do away with the K1?

If there is, I might agree, but I am not aware of any overwhelming reason to not allow it.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

Perhaps you are projecting too much of your experience onto the matter without realizing not everyone does a K1 for the reasons you assume.

SOme people are separated due to military duty, some people have religious considerations.

SOme countries have requirements for marriage which makes it much more simpler to marry State-side.

Some people just want to be married in the Good ole USA for what ever reason.

THe real question should be, "is there a problem with the K1 type visa, ..high failure rate? High fraud?

Other than your opinion is there any other reason to do away with the K1?

If there is, I might agree, but I am not aware of any overwhelming reason to not allow it.

Excellent points.

:ot: I love how you capitalize the first 2 letters of a word so often. I have seen it about 1000 times and it cracks me up each time. How do you do it? Do you hit the caps lock button and turn it off a letter late. Are you holding down the shift key a second too long? What is the deal?

Edited by Lord Infamous

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

I'll agree with the bolded part of your statement. However, we still need a filter to keep out the undesirables.

So if a person makes less than that, they are undesireable? I make less than that, and I sponsored my husband.

24q38dy.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

So if a person makes less than that, they are undesireable? I make less than that, and I sponsored my husband.

I suppose it should be based upon the standard of living in particular areas, but someone making $45k per year who lives in the Northeast, California, or any major metro area isn't going to really be able to support a family.