forchika

Citizenship

18 posts in this topic

My husband's wallet was stolen in a robbery @ work, his identification and 10yr green card was in his wallet? Does he need to have the 10yr green card in order to file for Citizenship?

****Removal of Conditions ****

7/13/09 Sent I-751 application VSC

7/16/09 Package arrived at VSC at 2:08pm signed by D. Renaud

7/24/09 Rcvd I-797C, NOA from VSC

7/29/09 Rcvd Biometric letter...biometrics appt 8/18/09

11/24/09 Rcvd ROC approval ltr...dated 11/18/09

12/04/09 Rcvd 10 yr Green Card in mail

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Sadly, for you guys, a copy of his GC will need to be sent with his N-400 application.

Just have to do a I-90 and pay the dreaded replacement fee.

Maybe since it was a work-related incident the company can assist with the payment for it?

April 2007 : Met
07/28/07 : Officialy dating
06/07/09 : Engaged
09/04/09 : Married

10/06/09 : I-130 Sent
10/15/09 : NOA1
01/11/10 : Expedite Request Sent Through Congressman
01/14/10 : NOA2

01/22/10 : Got NVC casenumber
03/16/10 : Case Complete

05/04/10 : Medical
05/11/10 : Interview - APPROVED!!
05/14/10 : Passport w/ Visa recieved

05/29/10 : POE JFK
06/25/10 : Apply for SSN
06/29/10 : Received Welcome Letter
07/01/10 : Recieved SSN (33 days after POE)
07/07/10 : Greencard production ordered
07/13/10 : Second Welcome Letter recieved
07/15/10 : Green Card recieved (47 days after POE)

04/02/12 : ROC NOA1
05/24/12 : ROC Biometrics
12/19/12 : ROC Approval
12/24/12 : New GC recieved

3/18/16 : N-400 Application sent
3/25/16 : Text/Email confirmation NOA
4/22/16 : Biometrics Appt

6/24/16 : NOA date for Interview

7/28/2016: Interview

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

sorry that happen to you, did you report it to the police and keep that report make a copy.if you report it to the uscis you have to apply for a new premenent residence and pay a fee form 1-90or if you made copys front and back of your stolen card,when the time come to file your citizenship n-400 you have a copy,it's when you have your interview they ask for your permnent residence card,it's up a new card fee is 365.00 and if you need to biometrics thats another85.00 total 450.00 good luck what ever you do.

Filed: Other Timeline

His Green Card was in his wallet?

:blush:

Yep, he'll need a police report and $450.00 for an I-90 application. He doesn't need to wait for the new Green Card to arrive, which can take an easy 6 months (!), but he'll need the form and for that he'll need to pay. Luckily for your husband, a US passport is much cheaper and much faster to replace, just in case.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I'm very sorry for this happening to you!Yes, you will need a new card and it's not cheap at all as another user indicated above. If you think about adding the application fee for US citizenship, you will end up investing over $1000 total plus the whole process will be delayed until due to your GC replacement.

ps: I don;t want to sound mean, but this is a useful thread for those who keep their GC in their wallets or for those who don't know where to keep it.

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

Thanks everyone for the answers.... I know I have read here so many times that most keep a copy of the green card in the wallet and leave the real thing at home in a safe place :bonk::bonk: I just never thought to suggest this to him. This is the second time, he was involved in a robbery @ work. The first time they did not take his wallet just the cell phone. The second time they took his cellphone, keys and wallet. He never recovered any of his things from the second robbery.

Edited by forchika

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

well, since you've been on this long visa journey, you've been making copies of stuff, right?

and you made copies of his green card, stuck in the file of copies you've already made, right?

IF SO - then yer good - not need to replace it - but

I'd sure make a police report.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Thanks everyone for the answers.... I know I have read here so many times that most keep a copy of the green card in the wallet and leave the real thing at home in a safe place :bonk::bonk: I just never thought to suggest this to him. This is the second time, he was involved in a robbery @ work. The first time they did not take his wallet just the cell phone. The second time they took his cellphone, keys and wallet. He never recovered any of his things from the second robbery.

Two robberies? I think he has to leave that job, next time God forbid he may lose his life. I wanted to add that if he ends up filing for another card, it will take him months. Another VJ member and I have been waitting for 4 months now.

Edited by dolphin1

2007-11-8 : Married

AOS

2008-3-03 : AOS sent

2008-3-12 : Check cashed

2008-3-14 : Received Receipt Notices of AOS ,EAD and AP

2008-3-17 : Biometrics Appointment notice date

2008-4-03 : Biometrics Appointment ,,,DONE,,,

2008-5-09 : EAD card ordered and AP approval notice

2008-5-13 : AP approval notice sent

2008-5-16 : AP received

2008-5-19 : EAD Approval notice sent

2008-5-21 : EAD received

2008-6-27 : interview appointment letter (for August)

2008-8---- : interview was fine, but was given a RFE, reason: chicken pox shot( although i got the shot when i was little)

2008-10-- : green card

ROC

2010-7-13 : I-751 sent

2010-7-16 : I-751 received

2010-7-20 : I-751 sent back to me. Cause: signatures and filing early.

2010-7-26 : I-751 re-sent

2010-8-09 : First NOA received ( dated 8/2 )

2010-8-12 : Biometrics appointment letter received ( dated 8/6 )

2010-8-19 : Early biometrics

2010-9-08 : Card production ordered

2010-9-15 : Green Card received, with incorrect first name (one letter missing)

I-90

2010-9-16 : Sent I-90 with Green Card

2010-9-17 : I-90 delivered

2010-9-24 : Receipt received. Notice date: 9-22

2011-2-08 : Card production ordered

2011-2-10 : Card received with NO errors.

N400 :

11-22-2011 :Sent

02-21-2012 :Interview ( a long delay afterwards)

05-18-2012 :Oath - US citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
My husband's wallet was stolen in a robbery @ work, his identification and 10yr green card was in his wallet? Does he need to have the 10yr green card in order to file for Citizenship?

As others have posted, if you have COPIES of the card then you're fine because only copies are required to file the N-400. I personally have digital copies (front and back) of all my cards "just in case". Kinda like how some people carry a copy of their passport when they travel so that if it's stolen they have all the info when reporting it stolen/missing.

If you don't have a copy then you will need a new card (most likely). It seems a little unfair to me so I would personally make and infopass appointment first (if you don't have the copies that is) and ask them if the police report is enough and *hope* that it is because all they'd do is take it from you when (and if) he passes the Naturalisation stuff so it seems like an awful waste of money (and time for them) to print a new card just to take it a couple of months later..

Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Never did learn the penalty for not carrying your green card at all times and tried doing a search on it. Heard about people being detained for not having a green card, but that was in Arizona, but were released once someone brought their card. Certainly need it when applying for a job, schools, drivers' license, international travel, a LPR drivers' license looks exactly like any other drivers' license that is all you need for domestic travel. My bank wanted to see my wifes' green card, only because I told them she was from Venezuela and with that APA thing. You indubitably need a green card to get into any USCIS office.

In regard to carrying an ID in this country, zero requirements, Arizona is the only exception, but that is being battled in court. Did have to always carry my military ID, but that was only when in uniform or when entering a military installation, never checked while leaving. Should have your drivers' license with you, but only when driving, or more recently, if traveling by air. But the only requirement I can think of where you have to carry an ID with you at all times is if you are a LPR. Talking about general stuff, like walking your dog around the block. Certainly not practical at the beach if you are wearing a string bikini, no place to put it.

Once you become naturalized, certainly no law that says you have to staple your certificate to your forehead, don't need any kind of ID.

The thing is, the USCIS makes it so miserable and super expensive if your green card is lost or stolen, and you need that card to get your US citizenship. In that respect, it is a very valuable card. And have no idea why you have to carry it at all times. So if you get out of bed to use the restroom, are you suppose to carry your green card with you? A very nebulous statement they make without any clarification.

I did try to learn the penalty if stopped without your green card, couldn't find anything on this subject. But if stopped without it, and can be shown, normally not a problem.

Edited by NickD

If there's a copy of the 10-yr green card, submit that with N400 - hope you filed police report. No need to do I-90 and pay additional $$.

At oath time, you won't have a gc to give to the USCIS people but you'll still be able to get the naturalization certificate.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Other Timeline

As others have posted, if you have COPIES of the card then you're fine because only copies are required to file the N-400. I personally have digital copies (front and back) of all my cards "just in case". Kinda like how some people carry a copy of their passport when they travel so that if it's stolen they have all the info when reporting it stolen/missing.

If you don't have a copy then you will need a new card (most likely). It seems a little unfair to me so I would personally make and infopass appointment first (if you don't have the copies that is) and ask them if the police report is enough and *hope* that it is because all they'd do is take it from you when (and if) he passes the Naturalisation stuff so it seems like an awful waste of money (and time for them) to print a new card just to take it a couple of months later..

Good luck!

I will become a US citizen in a few hours. If I tell them folks at the oath ceremony that I cannot turn in my Green Card but offer them a copy of it, they will have me turn around, bend over, kick me in the buttocks, and tell me to hug myself and come back when I have a receipt for the I-90 and have it signed off by the Immigration Officer who interviewed me.

Google "dealbreaker."

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I will become a US citizen in a few hours. If I tell them folks at the oath ceremony that I cannot turn in my Green Card but offer them a copy of it, they will have me turn around, bend over, kick me in the buttocks, and tell me to hug myself and come back when I have a receipt for the I-90 and have it signed off by the Immigration Officer who interviewed me.

Google "dealbreaker."

:rofl:

CR-1 VISA

2010-06-01: Get Married!!!

2010-06-15: Mail out I-130 - Petition for Alien Relative

2010-06-22: I-130 NOA1
2010-09-30: I-130 NOA2
2011-01-26: Interview - APPROVED! (7 months, 4 days)
2011-02-02: Visa issued and in hand!
2011-02-25: POE - JFK (New York City)
2011-03-14: Received Conditional Green Card
2011-04-01: Received SS Card
2012-03-25: Our son is born!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012-11-27: Mail out I-751 - Removal of conditions
2012-12-03: I-751 NOA1
2013-01-17: Biometrics

2013-05-13: I-751 Approved

2013-05-17: Received 10 year Green Card

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2013-11-27: Naturalization Eligibility (3 years based on marriage)

2013-11-29: Mail out N-400 - Application for Naturalization

2013-12-03: N-400 NOA1

2013-12-06: Check Cashed

2013-12-31: Biometrics

2014-01-27: Place In-Line for Interview

2014-03-28: Interview Scheduled

2014-04-04: Interview Letter Received

2014-05-06: Interview

2014-05-12: N-400 Approved and Oath Date Scheduled

2014-05-22: Oath Ceremony - Become a naturalized citizen!!!

OUR VISA JOURNEY IS OFFICIALLY OVER!

• 1 month later...

Thank everyone for the replies you live and you learn...he just did the application on line and has already gotten the NOA for the replacement. :wacko:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.