AT20000

K1 AOS Gender examination????

44 posts in this topic

I agree with SamOnline, they can look at any bit of me they want as long as I can get to be with my husband! Is it really such a big deal?? The fact you are protesting so much might throw up a red flag for them anyway.

USCIS

21.5.10 - NOA1

17.11.10 - NOA2 (there was a hold up due to incorrect information put on forms by our lawyer)

NVC

16.12.10 - All fees paid and everything received at NVC

05.1.11 - SIF and CC for my case only. Get RFE for my 2 sons as lawyer made ANOTHER mistake and made errors on I-864's for the children.

10.1.11 - Corrected I-864's received at NVC via Fedex

14.11.11 - Corrected paperwork entered on system according to AVR

17.1.11 - Medicals done

27.1.11 - My husband calls his senator's office and asks for help to get things moving.

31.1.11 - Finally got SIF for my sons!

01.2.11 - CC (Phoned DOS as NVC shut due to weather and they told me paperwork was completed at NVC on 1st Feb)

10.2.11 - Interview date assigned

15.3.11 - Interview - APPROVED!!!

24.3.11 - POE - Dallas, TX

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
I have been extremely shocked to hear among immigrant community, that there might be a physical gender examination prior to get the green card.... Since this is a very degrading humiliating procedure (it is a whole worldwide big deal when it goes to that kind of procedure regarding feminine athletes, I guess it is not less degrading for average people)I guess I need some more information before taking action...

In addition, having a natural child immigrating with me (an after several years of medical studies), I do not want to be gross but I have a problem in figuring out HOW me, as a male, could POSSIBLY have been delivering a baby....?!?

Is it a legend or is it TRUE? And if it is true does anybody ever objected on here and got proved right?

It's true they MIGHT check, but based on everything you've been assuming, false. You keep referring to an internal exam, they are not permitted to do that, for many of the reasons you express (that it's not your doc etc).

The bolded section makes no sense to me. First what do you mean by "natural child"? Do you mean your biological son? Also, why are you wondering how they would think you had a baby? Do you mean as your biological son is immigrating with you, why would this check be necessary as you obviously have the male parts to produce him?

As stated, a long as you file the AOS before your medical is 1 year old, you won't require another one, just the I-693 vaccination transcription.

As for would I do it? I would if I had to, and as everyone else said, you don't do it, you don't immigrate, it's pretty much that simple. I didn't have to for my K1 medical, in fact they're SUPPOSED to do an external genital exam, and breast exam, neither of which were performed on me. I did however forward my pap smear results to the doc so this might be why he didn't bother.

I never had such thing like Gender examination when I had my K1 medical examination. As a matter of fact the doctor just checked my lungs; heart beat and asked a couple questions. He was more interested in my vaccination record. I was never asked to take my clothes off at all to check other things. Perhaps you should check if such examination is perform in your home country in order to get an US immigrant Visa, maybe you are worrying for nothing. There are many other things which to put your energy in during this process, so don’t worry too much about it.

K1-K2 Visas Journey

(Day 1) 05/23/07: Packet sent to CSC

(Day 247) 01/25/08: Interview. Approved!

(Day 254) 02/01/08: Visas Received.

AOS Journey K1-K2

(Day 1) 04/20/08: Application sent.

(Day 73) 07/02/08: EAD,AP Approved!

(Day 108) 08/05/08: AOS Approved!

(Day 114) 08/11/08: 2 years GC received.

ROC Journey K1-K2

(Day 1) 05/09/10: Application sent.

(Day 129) 09/14/10: ROC Approved!

(Day 135) 09/20/10: 10 years GC received.

Naturalization Journey

(Day 1) 10/02/11: Application sent.

(Day 122) 01/31/12: Interview. PASSED!

(Day 125) 02/03/12: Oath Ceremony. Done!

End of our Journey:

Daughter and I became U.S. Citizens on 02/03/2012.

(Day 1) 02/09/12: Applied for U.S. Passport & Passport card.

(Day 16) 02/24/12: Passport received.

(Day 19) 02/27/12: Passport Card received.

(Day 24) 03/03/12: Got CoN back.

N-600 for Daughter

(Day 1) 02/04/12: Application sent.

(Day 117) 05/30/12: Picked up Certificate of Citizenship at USCIS local office Chicago.

Can you imagine if a DNA test was required? The OP would be whining about the cost and the wait time. :wacko:

PS...In the Philippines, the doctor checks the genitals of both genders. They check for VD. They also check to see if women have given birth. In any case, they look but don't touch.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I need to remind all -

that the OP is upset about

any medical exam

IN THE USA

for

'part of the AOS package'.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Is it a legend or is it TRUE?

I claim it's a legend.

But it may be based on fact.

Here's some facts, that might get 'stretched' to 'fill' yer worry, some more.

Assume a K-1 visa holder makes it into the USA

Assume further that NO AOS was performed, in a timely fashion.

Assume even further than 2 years later, since the last medical exam - the couple gets around to actually filing for AOS.

NOW, at 'that time tick' - a NEW medical exam is required, as the prior exam has 'aged out' for any 'AOS case'.

The above is plausible and probable.

What follows - is not so probable -

During the medical exam, the civil physician examines yer genitalia , to determine if it's the original coupling gear or was formed/added on after birth.

--------------------

There's no guidelines for a civil surgeon to determine this 'actual gender' during a medical exam for any Adjustment of Status case. If a civil surgeon actually did that - it's some violation of 'stuff'.

I'll leave it to you, the gentle reader, to determine exactly what that 'stuff' is.

----

A 'genital exam' in the USA, by a Civil Surgeon, for the medical exam required for an AOS case, would only be necessary IF there was any prior notice of malady 'in that area', so the Civil Surgeon could then 'write in' - 'cleared up' or 'still afflicted' - but

there must be some 'prior notice' about this malady, prior to showing up for the medical exam - ie - the Civil Surgeon MUST have instructions from USCIS to 'check yer privates' for a 'specific malady'.

----

IMO, the propensity for 'this to happen' is quite small.

but - hey - even with me 'claiming' it's a 'legend' - I'm always a fan of 'vetting yer source' - so - if you would, please (since you brought it up) -

could you please, vette yer source? TIA !

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Bottom line, if it's part of the processing routine then we all need to go with it... If Agnes really wants to be a part of the United States of America then she needs to play by the rules.

If she is not into it and wants to throw a hissy fit then stay home in Luxembourg!

Knowing that she is a part of the medical community is totally invalid in this case. Rules are rules and they apply to anyone going thru this process -your profession does not make you exempt.

For whatever reason, the US is not interested in your DNA test. For whatever reason, they rely on a physical exam. So Agnes should stop with the self-righteous attitude because she is a medical *professional* and stop with trying to pull rank above the Government and the rules that they have in place. What if patients in your field protested and disagreed with certain procedures that take place? What happens then? Either they are denied service, or delays take place. OR if it is in a public space and the patient throws a tantrum about what they deem to be fit or not, then security is called to remove them from the premises.

Agnes - you do not write the rules of immigration... keep that in mind. :wow:

07-2006 Met my sweetheart!!!

01-25-10 Entered the USA on student visa

05-28-10 Married!!!! <3

06-16-10 I693 Medical prepared and sealed

07-14-10 AOS Packet couriered to Chicago

07-16-10 AOS Packet received! Signed by S. Bush :)

07-23-10 CHECK$ CA$HED!!!!! So happy to see money leave my bank account!!!!

07-24-10 NOA received in the mail for AOS/EAD and hubby received AP for me :)

07-26-10 TOUCHED!!!

08-06-10 EAD & Alien Petition TOUCHED!!!

08-24-10 Service request submitted for Biometrics Letter.. waiting, waiting...

09-01-10 2nd service request call put in - Dallas ASC backed up and everything is on hold! :(

09-03-10 Infopass appointment set for September 17th

09-03-10 EAD TOUCHED!!! I might not need my Infopass appt. after all!

09-07-10 Another touch for EAD

09-08-10 EAD TOUCH again! woo hoo!

09-17-10 InfoPas appt @9am. EAD APPROVED on Sept 2.. but still waiting for biometrics

09-20-10 3rd service request to USCIS, escalated to IO. still no bio appt

09-28-10 AP sent to Chicago Lockbox

09-29-10 4th service request to USCIS, useless convo with IO

09-30-10 AP received and signed by USCIS, J.Chyba

10-04-10 Another useless convo with IO

10-06-10 Letter sent to Congressman

10-10-10 Letter sent to Senator

10-11-10 AP Touch

10-13-10 Email received, AP approved :)

10-15-10 Useless SECOND Infopass appt. and useless AP without biometrics

10-16-10 I-512L AP Doc arrived in the mail

10-18-10 Another USELESS call to USCIS

10-19-10 Got my biometrics appt for Nov 3rd!!! early walk in complete 10-20 *SEE ABOUT ME PAGE FOR MORE TIMELINE INFO!*

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I never knew they did an intimate physical exam. I adjusted status while in the U.S. but because I'm pregnant, I brought all my records from my OB giving my syphilis / pap / last physical exam results, which I had just had a few months prior. I saw on the USCIS website that if you're pregnant, your OB can be your "intimate exam" doctor.

It might be a posibility that you can forward recent records from your doctor... who knows? I know it can be un-nerving to have a stranger doing that.

Good luck :)

I don't get what medical this is about. According to the OP's timeline, she already went to the interview at the embassy and should have had the medical prior to the interview. Or she decided not to do it in France and do the medical in the US but then I don't see how it would be different. I did the medical (to get the K-1) in France and I don't remember any gender test. Maybe it was my 3 days old beard.

My main question reading this topic is : is there another medical to go through in the US even if one was completed before getting the visa? (FYI the medical I already did said "complete"). I read that as long as the AOS was done within 1 year of the previous medical, no new medical was needed

Other than that, my personal doctor does a check on my genital on a regular basis and I don't think it's shocking.

Of course Bruno it is NOT shocking since it is YOUR PERSONAL doctor not ANYBODY else. Mine are being checked on a regular basis by MY doctor also. Thank you for the answer since I have had my medical exam already and they did not check my genitals neither so I was a bit puzzled with that.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Of course Bruno it is NOT shocking since it is YOUR PERSONAL doctor not ANYBODY else. Mine are being checked on a regular basis by MY doctor also. Thank you for the answer since I have had my medical exam already and they did not check my genitals neither so I was a bit puzzled with that.

Well, my current personal doctor is not the same as the one I saw the most when I was a kid because I moved since then. So I don't know him very well. So to me, it makes no difference if it's "my" doctor or any doctor. I just trust them to be professionals and not perform uncomfortable exams unless it's really necessary.

Edit : oh, and by the way, I don't see the doctor that much (fortunately) so every time I see him it's a little bit a stranger, but it's still a professional that I trust. Maybe you have problems to trust other doctor because you are part of it and you have your own way to do thing. I can understand it's annoying and/or uncomfortable when other doctors perform exams on you not the way you would have done it.

Anyway, it seems you won't have to go through another one, so i guess case closed.

Edited by bruno.

Good luck on your journey

Bruno

K-1 2010 / 04 / 02 - I-129F sent
K-1 2010 / 08 / 18 - Interview at embassy in Paris, France
AOS 2011 / 01 / 15 - AOS package sent
AOS 2011 / 04 / 14 - Interview

ROC 2013 / 02 / 04 - ROC package sent
ROC 2013 / 07 / 27 - New GC received

CITIZENSHIP 2014 / 03 / 17 - N-400 package sent
CITIZENSHIP 2014 / 08 / 27 - Oath ceremony

--- THE END ---

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I had a physical done and at the end of the exam the Dr. asked me to lay down, took a look and said "we have a girl"...i took less than 3 secs...it's not a big deal. it's not like you're having a gynecological exam or some'....if you do have to get it done just consider it a means to an end...either you let them peek or you don't immigrate :lol:

AOS From B2 Journey

8/13/10: AOS Package Sent

8/16/10: Package Received at Chicago Lock Box

8/26/10: Checks Cleared and Case Transferred to NBC

8/30/10: NOA Text/ Email and Hard Copy

8/31/10: Case Status Appears On USCIS Site

9/9/10: I-130 I-485 I-765 Touched

10/5/10: Called USCIS abt "No Bio Letter" / Service Request

10/13/10: Hard Copy Service Request

10/20/10: I-765 I-485 Touched

10/21/10: I-765 I-485 Touched Again :-)

10/23/10: Biometric Letter Received For Nov 15 App

11/15/10: Biometric Appointment

11/15/10: EAD Approved..... I-485 & I-765 Touched

11/16/10: Card Production Ordered.....I-485 & I-765 Touched

11/19/10: Card Production text and email received again for I-765. I-765 Touched

11/23/10: EAD Received

11/29/10: Applied for ID and SS card

12/04/10: SS card and AOS Interview Letter received

01/04/11: AOS Interview..APPROVED!!!

01/13/11: Green Card Received

ROC JOURNEY

10/09/12: ROC Filed

10/12/12: Package delivered to VCS

10/17/12: Check cashed, but no NOA1 yet.

10/20/12: NOA1 hardcopy received. Dated 10/15/12

11/09/12: Biometrics Notice

12/04/12: Biometrics Done

01/04/13: 2yr GC expires

04/26/13: RFE :-(

05/22/13: REF Response Mailed

06/06/13: Text and Email update: Card production ordered!!!

06/10/13: USCIS update about card mailed!

06/12/13: CARD RECEIVED!!! dancin5hr.gif

I had the medical when going the K-3 route, but it should be the same medical whether it'd be K-1 or K-3, right?

I never had to even remove my undies.

And I was not asked any gross or even basic question about the genital functions or history. I had a look on the medical questionnaire before the I had the medical so I was expecting some gender specific questions that were present in that form, but I was asked none of them, and I didn't fill in anything in the forms myself either. So the medical was one of the least painful bits in the whole immigration process - except for the wallet (over 400 euros).

USAn Suomalaisten Foorumi <-- online place for the Finnish in US

Blog

938 days to get K-3.

AOS approved on day 1304.

To close the debate and regarding the aggressivity of several posts I would say: "Man to Man is an arrant Wolfe"

More seriously: It is Ok for me since the medical exam took place in the country where I applied and the doc did not check my genitals.

What is odd to see is that most are stating things that are being contradicted by others and so on.

Anyways after what some of you told me and a search for confirmation in the regulations, the rule is: as long as the first medical exam did not take place more than one year ago, there will be no more exam for the AOS.

Some are stating "they will check your genitals" and are having "I don't know" written in Russian under their pic ( isn't it Alla?) Amazingly accurate motto since No they're not going to check my genitals (since they did NOT) and they obviously don't in many countries. Could be wise not to be so affirmative though....

Few things I don't understand (again maybe because the country where I come from is neither hell nor a gulag): Is it so UNTHINKABLE that an immigrant could possibly say "OK this is going too far, I quit the process and my fiancé will come over" if something is going against his own moral values?

Lots are being more royalists than the king himself! Immigration services seems to have a more comprehesive approach & be more respectful to people than the very peremptory sentences I have read here. Examples? The great way they handled the problem with Haiti. Another example: The FIRST rule for a K1 is "The applicants MUST have met in person" BUT they admit that in muslim countries any contact with a man, other than her father, including her future husband, is being degrading for a woman. As a consequence they allow people from these countries not to comply with this rule since it is against their values. So you see it is not all black or all white!

I am NOT trying to "make the rules",or "bark" and all the other joyful things I have read on here and no matter if I am in the medical or sweeping the streets, (it is not the point). I am just making sure I understand these rules in order for ME to decide what I want to put up with and what I don't want to put up with.

No need of lessons, lectures and so on, (medical above all... on where a chancre could be since guys could be scared by knowing which orifice they should check as 2nd main location if you see what I mean) I am not a complete idiot, I am a grown up adult able to handle the consequences of the decisions I make. It is beating a dead horse to repeat again and again that "OMG-they-have-the-power-to-say-no". I KNOW it like everyone of us on here and I guess on the entire planet, but I assume I have this right too. Well IF I'm allowed to, since it seems to be pretty much of a SIN on here....

Thank you very very very much to those who stuck to the facts and gave the accurate informations. Keep cool and have a good day!

Timeline

vette yer data, always !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.