djeslinger

evil question..

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Colombia
Timeline

I see it again and again on VJ and cant help but say...

Is it just me or does there appear to be an astounding number of people that fail to read the instructions for the I-129f?

I guess i will appear to be evil for pointing this out but i cant help but think it.

The visa process (as well as the long distance relationship itself) is stressful enough. But i an confounded by how many people ask questions that are directly addressed IN THE INSTRUCTIONS......

That said, i am grateful for this site and the knowledge base of the people here. And i will no doubt have additional questions of my own. It is not my intent to come across as harsh, just trying to say to those, such as myself, that are about to initiate this process. "When all else fails, read the instructions"

I am confident it will relieve at least some of the anxiety. And to that end, here they are... http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-129finstr.pdf

Edited by djeslinger

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

What you might find as you read instructions from this site and other sites, like the official government sites, there is a lot of confusion. Along with this forum I really on information such as USCIS.gov, state.gov. travel.state.gov and the website for the consulate my fiance will have her interview. Since you already have the instructions, why do bother with this forum?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Si, man. Not in the instructions are the necessary tips for dealing with Guayaquil. Also, OP, where's your timeline? :)

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Instructions are fine but the forums add a personal feeling to it. If someone says to you that you can read 100 pages to get an answer that would take that same person 5 seconds to answer which would you rather?

At tthe same time you should follow up any information received with a bit of research. :)

I-129F Sent : 2010-07-17

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-07-23

Touch: 2010-08-02

Touch: 2010-10-03

NOA2: 2010-01-10

Interview: 2011-02-08 - Approved

Visa Printed: 2011-02-10

Sent to 2Go: 2011-02-14 (scheduled for noon delivery as per consulate)

Pckup @ 2Go: 2011-02-15 (Will hold at routing Hub for same day pick up)

POE (LAX): 2011-02-16

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

I'm so happy that everyone here's being helpful, I don't mind if something is being asked and can be found in the instructions. Still, the I-129F instructions are a little... confusing. This website has actually helped so much along with USCIS.gov and the others. I don't want people to stop posting their questions, even if they seem silly, everyone is going through the same process and we understand that sometimes we're a bit too careful and crazy, but we're not stupid, we just want our process to be close to perfection. :P For our peace of mind, we ask simple questions and there's always someone around that can help us in less that the blink of an eye. I'm pleasantly surprised of how fast people answer your questions here, on VJ, silly or not.

Edited by Sunshine13

27 NOV 2019 - I-129F mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox

02 DEC 2019 - NOA1

23 MAR 2020 - NOA2

I'm so happy that everyone here's being helpful, I don't mind if something is being asked and can be found in the instructions. Still, the I-129F instructions are a little... confusing. This website has actually helped so much along with USCIS.gov and the others. I don't want people to stop posting their questions, even if they seem silly, everyone is going through the same process and we understand that sometimes we're a bit too careful and crazy, but we're not stupid, we just want our process to be close to perfection. :P For our peace of mind, we ask simple questions and there's always someone around that can help us in less that the blink of an eye. I'm pleasantly surprised of how fast people answer your questions here, on VJ, silly or not.

i agree with my friend sunshine 13 :X ty vj for the help :star:

If God is for us, who can be against us." Romans 8:31

I read the instructions, a few times, but I still had questions that were answered in them. :) It's not the clearest or easiest thing to read. I generally don't mind when people ask something that's discussed in the instructions because I understand how stressful this entire process is and the want/need to make sure it's perfect before it gets sent off. That said, I do have issue with people who don't take the time to read the instructions BEFORE asking the question.

But hey, that's what this place is for. To get through the legal, government wording and get an answer from actual people who know the process and have been through it.

I find it more evil that people go through the process of getting someone here on the K-1 - then delay the AOS because they didn't know the "cost" or didn't make enough money to pay for it...

(they can't save while waiting for the K-1 to get processed?)

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Timeline

Some people have comprehension problems due to dyslexia or some other barrier such as ESL challenges. And, as others have stated.... what's applicable to one Consulate/Embassy can be quite different to what's applicable at another.... even when it comes to the same country.

iagree.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I see it again and again on VJ and cant help but say...

Is it just me or does there appear to be an astounding number of people that fail to read the instructions for the I-129f?

I guess i will appear to be evil for pointing this out but i cant help but think it.

The visa process (as well as the long distance relationship itself) is stressful enough. But i an confounded by how many people ask questions that are directly addressed IN THE INSTRUCTIONS......

That said, i am grateful for this site and the knowledge base of the people here. And i will no doubt have additional questions of my own. It is not my intent to come across as harsh, just trying to say to those, such as myself, that are about to initiate this process. "When all else fails, read the instructions"

I am confident it will relieve at least some of the anxiety. And to that end, here they are... http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-129finstr.pdf

Wow I wish all instructions came with more instructions. I read the directions for the W-7 form over and over. I read as much as I could find. Had my wife fill out the form get a copy of her passport and send it to me with the form from China. Thought I followed the directions well you know what happened. The IRS said it would not issue her a Temporary tax ID (ITIN) cause she didn't fill out ans send in a tax return. DOH what a waste of time. I was the one filling out the tax return. Anyway we still don't have her ITIN number. The instruction directions are misleading cause they don't want you to succeed heck your spouse gets you a 5700.00 tax deduction why would they want to give you that? Also had the instructions said fill out a tax return with the w-7 along with a certified copy of her passport I would have done that. Oh well so much for INSTRUCTIONS!

Filed: Other Country: Colombia
Timeline

As i actually feared, many plp misunderstand the reason and meaning of my post. It is not meant to discourage questions but rather to encourage the reading of the instructions.

Also, my post did not refer at all embassy specific questions. It refered to the filing of the I-129f.

For example.. i have read in the last week; "Who do i make check out to", "Do i need to include 325a with the I-129f", "Do i need to include proof of relationship"? These questions are directly addressed in the instructions and are not hard to understand.

All i am saying is to plp that are about to file, Read the instructions closely. It will prevent problems in the future.

As i actually feared, many plp misunderstand the reason and meaning of my post. It is not meant to discourage questions but rather to encourage the reading of the instructions.

Also, my post did not refer at all embassy specific questions. It refered to the filing of the I-129f.

For example.. i have read in the last week; "Who do i make check out to", "Do i need to include 325a with the I-129f", "Do i need to include proof of relationship"? These questions are directly addressed in the instructions and are not hard to understand.

All i am saying is to plp that are about to file, Read the instructions closely. It will prevent problems in the future.

So, what you are saying is, you didn't know how to properly tell people to Read the Guides before asking questions. Instead it came across as some kind of accusation. By the way, some people suffer from anxiety when reading government forms, so maybe you should lighten up. This is a self help site.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

"Reading the Guides" is important advice. If people have nothing complicating their situation and can read accurately, interpret literally, and answer honestly & completely, this is a do-it-yourself site.

OP, please construct your VJ timeline! Other Ecuador filers need for you to do it, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.