Obama 2012

Intolerant People Who Call People "Bigots"

295 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I must admit to being quite surprised by the word 'Bigot' being bandied around so freely to those who don't happen to agree on a certain subject. To the handful of people here who have branded me a bigot, if you actually knew me you would know that is laughable.

You've been labeled a bigot? What for?

I think you are focusing only on that part of the argument that Paul wants you to focus on instead of the actual context and behavior which is being sadly ignored.

I think some of those posters (even though I don't know what this vague reference to some people means, but I can think of names) have stated their rationale for calling certain people based on the things those people post here. We should be paying attention to people's vocabulary before feeling singled out for disagreeing on any sensitive topic, and more importantly, keeping things in their proper context.

This is still really interesting to come across, how some folks get really uncomfortable around this kind of dialogue, be it for whatever reason... hidden bigotry, denied bigotry, dislike of bigotry itself, etc. I for one like to see the real bigots get called out for what they are, exposed as the cowards they are, and handled as such.

Does this mean I am calling you a bigot? I don't think so. We need to pay attention to things before reacting.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

You've been labeled a bigot? What for?

I think you are focusing only on that part of the argument that Paul wants you to focus on instead of the actual context and behavior which is being sadly ignored.

You're right...I AM focusing on that part of the argument, I have been reading it over and over again over the past few days and it negates many of points people are making in my mind, which is shame. Any article or viewpoint posted opposing the mosque in any way has been brushed off as 'bigotry'..., but par for the course on VJ, debate cannot happen without it being reduced to name calling.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Someone who connects Islam to terrorism in their opposition to a proposal to build a community center and mosque in the financial district of Manhattan is a bigot.

There is nothing "insensitive" about park 51 and nothing to be outraged about unless you are connecting dots between terrorists and the wider Muslim community. if you are doing this then you are clearly a bigot.

This thread reminds me of people who complain about being labelled racist when they use racial epithets and suggest that racial minorities should enjoy fewer rights than everyone else in their own country.

you might not like being called a bigot, but not liking it doesn't make it untrue.

you might not like being called a bigot, but not liking it doesn't make it untrue.

I can actually see the other side of this agrument and understand it, but it doesn't make me feel any different about my own point of view....just because YOU think I'm a bigot doesn't actually make it true.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I can actually see the other side of this agrument and understand it, but it doesn't make me feel any different about my own point of view....just because YOU think I'm a bigot doesn't actually make it true.

IIRC you have expressed some opinions of intolerance against Islam in the past, no?

Edited by Jenn!

IIRC you have expressed some opinions of intolerance against Islam in the past, no?

IYRC then perhaps I have...I have issues with Islam just as I have issues with Christianity, I am not intolerent of either though...I have moslem and christian friends, we often have lively debates, never been called out as a bigot though.

Edited by Welshcookie

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

:lol: you understand nothing of human nature. We are all different. We are all naturally opposed to those who are different than we are.

It's interesting that last sentence is similar to the definition of bigotry. If you are suggesting that it is part of human nature to be bigoted, then why be offended to be called one?

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Timeline

I don't know you well enough to say that YOU are a bigot, but the argument I referenced in my previous post is bigoted. If you subscribe to that view then you are endorsing a bigoted argument.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I must admit to being quite surprised by the word 'Bigot' being bandied around so freely to those who don't happen to agree on a certain subject. To the handful of people here who have branded me a bigot, if you actually knew me you would know that is laughable.

it's easier to tag someone with that socially negative term as it shifts the direction of the entire conversation. it puts that person in a damned if you do, damned if you don't position: argue against the label, the success of which is like herding cats, or ignore the bait with the risk of everyone noticing you didn't deny it, thus confirming the accusation.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

I'm not naturally opposed to people who are different from me. I expect people to differ from me. Some people who differ from me are bigoted, and, when they are, I won't hesitate to call them on it. Those who can't handle it start whiny threads like this one.

Frankly, I can't imagine ever being against a church or Christian community center unless the folks attending it would be bigots. So, it's difficult to understand opposition to a mosque or Muslim community center unless you didn't like the kind of people who would be attending, in the case of this mosque, it appears to be Muslims, in general, who are offensive to bigots.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Paul, I disagree. Why on earth would you encourage your opponent to argue effectively? The best thing in the world is an opponent that is a dumb@ss.

I INVITE anyone that disagrees with me to call me a "bigot" or any other name they can imagine. "Douchebag" has been very effective for one member to make themselves look foolish. Try not to copy each other, other than that, have at it. Snide one-liners are he best way to prove you know nothing about a subject. Can you imagine one of these morons in a real debate where they have 2 minutes to fill. :rofl:

When your opponent is reduced to "name calling" ...YOU WIN!!!!! Game over. They have no argument, no knowledge, no intellect and no ability to express themselves. They are like 3 year olds when faced with a tight jar lid and they WANT that jelly inside! They start screaming and throwing things. Sit back and watch them self destruct. Smile. Try to keep it going. Throw a little gas on the fire and watch them flame up. Sometimes they flop like a gut hooked fish, just doing more damage to themselves and their cause. I dearly LOVE to see the people arguing against me fumble about and then start yelling names! It is even more funny when they start yelling names at EAC OTHER! In a recent thread on gun control, within page one the liberals were calling EACH OTHER "fuckwits" It was AWESOME.

It is most effective at making them look stupid when they do so publicly and on TV is even better. So rant on! Spew out! Work up your best "name calling"

Thank you very much!

A certain poster has a notorious history of trying to negate data or facts with bigot claims or racist accusations.

Like his child-like reaction years ago to posting government data illustrating that the same group of people that make up 12% of the country's population, account for over 50% of the nations gang members.

Three out of four people make up 75% of the population.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You're right...I AM focusing on that part of the argument, I have been reading it over and over again over the past few days and it negates many of points people are making in my mind, which is shame. Any article or viewpoint posted opposing the mosque in any way has been brushed off as 'bigotry'..., but par for the course on VJ, debate cannot happen without it being reduced to name calling.

PM me the location you're directly focusing on. Do remember though that it appears you're basing that focus of yours onto something else altogether that is being used to sugarcoat real bigotry, as is the course on VJ. I'd like to get a precise post to see if these people doing the bigot-labeling are doing so due to poor debating skills or if perhaps I can clarify what it is they were trying to say to you- and perhaps you felt unreasonably singled out.

Again... lets not pay lip service to actual bigots in this community that time and time again get off easy by making it appear to negate that actual bigotry due to a name calling.

It's interesting that last sentence is similar to the definition of bigotry. If you are suggesting that it is part of human nature to be bigoted, then why be offended to be called one?

:rofl:

Indeed true as well. Few people should be fooled by such fake outrage.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Timeline

I'm not naturally opposed to people who are different from me. I expect people to differ from me. Some people who differ from me are bigoted, and, when they are, I won't hesitate to call them on it. Those who can't handle it start whiny threads like this one.

Frankly, I can't imagine ever being against a church or Christian community center unless the folks attending it would be bigots. So, it's difficult to understand opposition to a mosque or Muslim community center unless you didn't like the kind of people who would be attending, in the case of this mosque, it appears to be Muslims, in general, who are offensive to bigots.

Yep.