Obama 2012

Intolerant People Who Call People "Bigots"

295 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Bigot must be the new racism. As with racism, it's turning into a generic term and used to justify any difference in opinion.

Much like racism, actually reading the definition of the term goes a long way. Hence, why racism is rarely thrown out abroad.

No its been applied to specific opinions on a specific issue.

Basically what you are saying is that anything that paints a group's actions and behavior in a negative light, is hate speech. Perhaps we should never post anything about Mexico's homicide rate, because the focus of Mexico is considered hate speech to yourself.

Surely the person advocating for such a strict restriction of free speech cannot be the same person demanding Disney cater for the beliefs of someone else.

Basically yes BY, that's right, if you insist on using data to further a hate filled agenda that's what you get; racism - painting a group in a negative light based on a misunderstanding of that data is hate speech. bravo.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Which totally increases my confidence in your ability to moderate even insults, not. Sorry, BY posted the only benign use it can possible have, and BY is not ###### Spanish.

You are entitled to your opinion MC. Take it up with Captain Ewok if you are not satisfied with Moderation here. But then again, you stated that you could care less earlier.

Personally, I could not care less who calls who what, name calling is relatively benign in my opinion. However, if someone can be suspended for calling another person a #######, I would have thought that someone else could be suspended for continual use of 'gringo' as an insult, even though it is spectacularly inappropriately applied.

Basically yes BY, that's right, if you insist on using data to further a hate filled agenda that's what you get; racism - painting a group in a negative light based on a misunderstanding of that data is hate speech. bravo.

Okay, so basically you want to silence or hide the data, in order to support own bias. Presenting data does not paint a group anything. It's you who assumes I am painting a group.

Have you actually read the definition of a bigot? Perhaps now is time for a refresher, before you step in it further than you already have.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Okay, so basically you want to silence or hide the data, in order to support own bias. Presenting data does not paint a group anything. It's you who assumes I am painting a group.

Have you actually read the definition of a bigot? Perhaps now is time for a refresher, before you step in it further than you already have.

No BY I don't want to hide any data and doing so does not support any bias I have. As I said, if you presented data without any comment on what it might mean, no problem, but you don't do that you have even said, when asked to support my opinions I produce evidence - but as I said, the evidence you produce to support your arguments is a total misrepresentation of what statistics mean and you do it again, and again, and again.

Edited by Madame Cleo

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

You are entitled to your opinion MC. Take it up with Captain Ewok if you are not satisfied with Moderation here. But then again, you stated that you could care less earlier.

William, please explain to me how a non Spanish speaker can use the term gringo in a manner that is appropriate and benign? Failing that, ask Ewok to explain my dissatisfaction with your moderation. As to whether I care about insults, quite right, I don't - I'll never report anyone for calling me names. I did however, for the first time report some hate speech but that was deemed perfectly appropriate and reflective of the values that VJ stands for. Bravo.

Sounds like you are saying because I am not of Spanish decent, I cannot use something. Perhaps you can tell me in what context the terms gringo is racist. Perhaps next time you are at a Mexican restaurant, you will assault the waiter for calling people Gringos; since it's so offense to you. Then again, you are one who has no problem with AA using N..... like it's going out of fashion but the second a Caucasian says it, you demand justice. Yet see no problem with this stance whatsoever.

In other words, based on your posts and opinion, person of x group is allowed to say [insert comment] but person of y group is not. That to you is apparently not racist. Yet mention stats that illustrate group x have 10 or 20 times the rate of a particular, and this is apaprently racist to you.

BY, you used gringo to demean another posted. That you used it because you do not understand why a non spanish speaker can't use it in a benign fashion just like that out of the blue and simply because you are addressing a mexican is a failure in you, not in me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

thread closed for review.

After reviewing this whole thread - and it is a long one - I am keeping this thread closed for numerous TOS violations. Quite a number of posts have been removed for personal attacks as well as a few baiting and overtly racist attacks.

Regarding the gringo comment - in this context it was used inappropriately and it has been removed. A report linking to the exact comment involved would have helped us to address this issue earlier.

Further administrative action has also been taken.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!