Obama 2012

Intolerant People Who Call People "Bigots"

295 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

If it quacks like a duck...and walks like a duck....

STOP NOW!

If it quacks like a duck... and walks like a duck... make sure you don't call it a duck because its really a red herring.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

I'm not naturally opposed to people who are different from me. I expect people to differ from me. Some people who differ from me are bigoted, and, when they are, I won't hesitate to call them on it. Those who can't handle it start whiny threads like this one.

Frankly, I can't imagine ever being against a church or Christian community center unless the folks attending it would be bigots. So, it's difficult to understand opposition to a mosque or Muslim community center unless you didn't like the kind of people who would be attending, in the case of this mosque, it appears to be Muslims, in general, who are offensive to bigots.

The extreme elements of Islam will see this as a victory and maybe thats why some people dont want it there, no need to go and call them bigots.

Would your tune change if it was built were one of the twin towers stood?

Filed: Timeline

Mine would, because the site of the twin towers should be a memorial to the victims. Not because I hate Islam or think Muslims are collectively at-blame for what happened.

A few blocks away in dense lower Manhattan? Not a problem.

Mine would, because the site of the twin towers should be a memorial to the victims. Not because I hate Islam or think Muslims are collectively at-blame for what happened.

A few blocks away in dense lower Manhattan? Not a problem.

Good point.

Would you agree that not all people who disagree with this being built are bigots?

Timeline

2 blocks away and facing the other way.

So they're not even looking at the site of the tragedy?

Wow

Timeline

Good point.

Would you agree that not all people who disagree with this being built are bigots?

i could certainly agree to that- pending some kind of reasonable response that doesn't confuse the religion with a slap in the face to 9/11 victims or the justification of bigotry by being complacent to those willing to be violent against it.

I consider the willingness to harm Muslim New Yorkers because you want to diss Hamas an act of bigotry against Muslim New Yorkers.

How would Muslim New Yorkers be harmed if this Mosque doesn't go up?

Filed: Timeline

If they disagree with this because they're worried about the traffic, then they're not bigots.

If they disagree with this because they think the structure could be put to better use (maybe Accenture can move in), then they're not bigots.

If they disagree with this because they think Park51 will attract lots of people with cars from New Jersey and Staten Island and there aren't enough parking spots in existing parking structures, then they're not bigots.

If they disagree with this because they think building this is would be a victory for those who attacked us on September 11, then they are bigots.

How would Muslim New Yorkers be harmed if this Mosque doesn't go up?

The existing mosques in the area (there are two) are at capacity. You may not realize how many Muslims live or work in the area. There is a need for more prayer space.

Edited by Legacy member

i could certainly agree to that- pending some kind of reasonable response that doesn't confuse the religion with a slap in the face to 9/11 victims or the justification of bigotry by being complacent to those willing to be violent against it.

Right or wrong I think for many it has nothing to do with hating on a religion but everything with not giving the extremist element what they would see as a victory.

At first I really wasnt for it being built there but now...sure build it. I know if I was the one building the Mosque I would go further away considering the sensitive nature of this area.

Many gave Cindy Sheehan slack because of what she had been through, she said some over the top things to. Why cant we give these people some slack who lost loved ones on 9/11. There probably not bigots but they just dont want to give the extreme element what they would see as a victory.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

If they disagree with this because they're worried about the traffic, then they're not bigots.

If they disagree with this because they think the structure could be put to better use (maybe Accenture can move in), then they're not bigots.

If they disagree with this because they think Park51 will attract lots of people with cars from New Jersey and Staten Island and there aren't enough parking spots in existing parking structures, then they're not bigots.

If they disagree with this because they think building this is would be a victory for those who attacked us on September 11, then they are bigots.

The existing mosques in the area (there are two) are at capacity. You may not realize how many Muslims live in the area. There is a need for more prayer space.

I agree with you, but then there are a couple other reasons people oppose it.

I watched CNN the other night and they were interviewing a non-practicing Iranian Muslim immigrant and another Muslim lady immigrant which I don't recall where they said she was from. She sounded like she had a Pakistani accent(very similar to Indian but Suj felt it was Pakistani). The Iranian lady lost a loved one in one of the planes. The Other lady lost her son at the towers. So both had close relatives killed.

Yet the Iranian lady said she opposed this, and the lady who lost a son said she doesn't oppose it because Islam should not be linked with the twin tower incident and plus, the hijackers didn't care who were in the buildings - Muslims were killed in there too. I am not really sure why the Iranian lady was so opposed but she felt it was a bad reminder of her loss, since she said the hijackers claimed to be followers of Islam and used their religion as part of the reason to attack. I don't think she felt concerned about how other people might view it, only herself. I think maybe she would be someone like a former Christian who has been burned by Christians who did things wrong to them. Then they don't want to be around any Christians anymore or churches. If you look at what the Christians did, it wasn't supported by the bible but people who have been burned don't often care. I think the Iranian lady sees this in a similar way. It doesn't make sense to me to write off a whole people for the acts of some, but I don't think she is a bigot, just bitter.

Edited by chri'stina

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

The extreme elements of Islam will see this as a victory and maybe thats why some people dont want it there, no need to go and call them bigots.

There are no extreme elements of Islam. Once you become extreme, you are not practicing Islam.

No one is talking about a mosque on GZ, but the owners of that plot can decide what to put there. I have no say in that.