Obama 2012

Intolerant People Who Call People "Bigots"

295 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I watched CNN the other night and they were interviewing a non-practicing Iranian Muslims immigrant and another Muslim lady immigrant which I don't recall where they said she was from.

I have Muslim friends who are opposed to it too. Not because they think Islam is responsible for 9/11 but because they think crazy right-wingers would never allow women and children to pray there in peace. They'd rather just move it elsewhere then deal with that.

And no, I don't think opposing it for that reason makes one a bigot either.

Edited by Legacy member

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Right or wrong I think for many it has nothing to do with hating on a religion but everything with not giving the extremist element what they would see as a victory.

At first I really wasnt for it being built there but now...sure build it. I know if I was the one building the Mosque I would go further away considering the sensitive nature of this area.

Many gave Cindy Sheehan slack because of what she had been through, she said some over the top things to. Why cant we give these people some slack who lost loved ones on 9/11. There probably not bigots but they just dont want to give the extreme element what they would see as a victory.

2 blocks away, facing the other way as Madhouse puts it... is not onsite.

Mistaking an entire religion with an extremist fringe would be the same as calling all Republicans Fascists.

Right or wrong- that is context. When you mention giving the perception of appeasement to anyone, remember you're also giving the perception of appeasement to others as well. #### the extremists are they're likely not welcome in 99% of mosque anyway. That is called context.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

If they disagree with this because they're worried about the traffic, then they're not bigots.

If they disagree with this because they think the structure could be put to better use (maybe Accenture can move in), then they're not bigots.

If they disagree with this because they think Park51 will attract lots of people with cars from New Jersey and Staten Island and there aren't enough parking spots in existing parking structures, then they're not bigots.

If they disagree with this because they think building this is would be a victory for those who attacked us on September 11, then they are bigots.

I said the extreme elements not just the ones that died on 9/11.

The existing mosques in the area (there are two) are at capacity. You may not realize how many Muslims live or work in the area. There is a need for more prayer space.

They wouldnt be harmed maybe unhappy but not harmed.

Timeline

It would be much more similar to calling all Catholics child molesters.

In general, religious identity is a lot less mutable than political identity.

Yes that's a little more [religiously] comparable.

Have any of these bigots come up with the "acceptable" distance away from ground zero a mosque can be built?

(And no, "mosques shouldn't be built anywhere" is not an acceptable answer. Try again, please.) I keep hearing things like, "I'm not a bigot... but it's too close." Well, what is far enough away then?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

I said the extreme elements not just the ones that died on 9/11.

They wouldnt be harmed maybe unhappy but not harmed.

Fine, your willingness to make Muslim New Yorkers unhappy just so Hamas isn't happy... is bigotry because it implies the two are necessarily related.

Yes that's a little more [religiously] comparable.

My point was that shifts in political allegiance occur more often and more rapidly in the general population than do shifts in religious identity.

Edited by Legacy member

Timeline

Fine, your willingness to make Muslim New Yorkers unhappy just so Hamas isn't happy... is bigotry because it implies the two are necessarily related.

My point was that shifts in political allegiance occur more often and more rapidly in the general population than do shifts in religious identity.

Maybe its unintended bigotry.

Although we are perceiving a lot lately. Maybe someone needs to ask those terrorists how they feel about this Mosque since all viewpoints are being sought free of the stigma of bigotry.

Maybe someone needs to ask those terrorists how they feel about this Mosque since all viewpoints are being sought free of the stigma of bigotry.

Hamas has weighed in. They support it. Big surprise. They'd say anything to increase our domestic in-fighting over what should never have been more than a local issue.

Timeline

Hamas has weighed in. They support it. Big surprise. They'd say anything to increase our domestic in-fighting over what should never have been more than a local issue.

Oh wow. Now definitely it shouldn't be built. Not.

2 blocks away, facing the other way as Madhouse puts it... is not onsite.

Did I say it was onsite? Besides I said sure build it. I used the Cindy Sheen example to make a point. Cut these people some slack, this is a very sensitive area.

Mistaking an entire religion with an extremist fringe would be the same as calling all Republicans Fascists.

Im not mistaking nothing. I explained myself on this issue.

Right or wrong- that is context. When you mention giving the perception of appeasement to anyone, remember you're also giving the perception of appeasement to others as well. #### the extremists are they're likely not welcome in 99% of mosque anyway. That is called context.

People in pain dont always say or do the right things but all things considered lets take it easy on them and quit calling them bigots. I thought you lefties were all about compassion.

Edited by _Simpson_

People in pain dont always say or do the right things but all things considered lets take it easy on them and quit calling them bigots. I thought you lefties were all about compassion.

Let's not pretend all the opposition to this mosque is coming from 9/11 families. Most of it is coming from bigots. How many of the mosque-opponents on VJ either lost a loved one on 9/11 or are simply worried about the traffic?

Timeline

Did I say it was onsite? Besides I said sure build it. I used the Cindy Sheen example to make a point. Cut these people some slack, this is a very sensitive area.

Im not mistaking nothing. I explained myself on this issue.

Who's labeling now?

And yes, there are reasons that should be taken into consideration about the site itself, and they've been addressed. The location is not at WTC and in terms of Manhattan, is pretty much a world away from the site itself.

No need to explain the obvious once again.