one...two...tree

Captain Ewok - an idea to help with moderation

154 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

El Bus - wow - ya got what ya asked for, in record time ! I'm impressed !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I think this is an overall great idea and a good way to stop a lot of the issues going on from my thread. No information lost, and hopefully less need to shut down threads. I'm excited to see how this turns out! Kudos to the OP!

"You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without."

Mailed K-1 on 2-6-10

USCIS received packet on 2-8-10

NOA 1: Received 2-16-10

NOA 2: Approved 4-29-10 (72 Days)

NVC Forwarded Petition to London- 5-6-10

NVC Letter Received: 5-7-1010

London Received Packet: 5-14-10

London Mailed Packet to Rob: 5-18-10

Packet 3 Received by Rob: 5-22-2010

Packet 3 paperwork mailed to Rob 6-12-10

Medical- July 8, 2010

Everything mailed to Embassy 7-19-10

Interview Date: 9-14-10- Approved pending non-machine washed replacement passport.

Entry to US- 10-6-10 POE- Newark

Wedding- 10-23-10

AOS

Mailed AOS paperwork to the Chicago lockbox 1-7-11

Delivery Notification 1-10-11

Text stating application was received 1-20-11

Check Cashed 1-21-11

NOA 1 received 1-22-11

Biometrics letter received 1-29--11

Biometrics appointment 2-24-11

Received notice- I-485 has been transferred to the California Service Center 2-9-11.

3-11-11 - EAD production ordered

3-19-11- EAD Received

3-31-2011- AOS approved without interview

Filed: Timeline

I think this is an overall great idea and a good way to stop a lot of the issues going on from my thread. No information lost, and hopefully less need to shut down threads. I'm excited to see how this turns out! Kudos to the OP!

Yes, Steven is da man.

I think Steven should be OT mod.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yes, Steven is da man.

I think Steven should be OT mod.

i think you shoulda thought of this :bonk:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

It's a good idea within reason. I have continuing worries about context, and in particular what some people see as bullying and others see as pure disagreement. Increasingly, and seemingly out of nowhere, there have been a number of accusations of bullying where it seems clear to me that there is a genuine difference of opinion. I would hate to see debate and disagreement (when not in the form of attack) quashed because a mod isn't able to be around to see the nuances of such exchanges. We all know there are those who have publicly declared their love of the "Report" button and stated that they will use it as much as they like, thankyouverymuch. I'm concerned that the loudest shouters will get their opponents shut out, and that threads will degenerate into one-sided discussions.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

As this tool is used I am certainly open to revising the rules of its sue if needed. We can see how it goes and if it has a benefit to the site :).

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

It's all very well if someone is posting and continually and obviously violating the TOS then yes, I agree that keeping the thread open for others to enjoy and excluding the disruptive element from both sides of the argument is a more positive way to go. However, when it's used to stop one person engaged in polite disagreement with the OP or another poster in that thread then it's biased and heavy-handed moderation in the same way that thread locks have been.

Some people seem to feel that even respectful disagreement with their point of view is ruining their enjoyment of the site and they are all too quick to cry about being picked on or press the report button. I have seen this attitude many times of late. If you are that thin-skinned that you can't accept an alternate point of view then you really shouldn't be posting on an internet forum.

It's a good idea within reason. I have continuing worries about context, and in particular what some people see as bullying and others see as pure disagreement. Increasingly, and seemingly out of nowhere, there have been a number of accusations of bullying where it seems clear to me that there is a genuine difference of opinion. I would hate to see debate and disagreement (when not in the form of attack) quashed because a mod isn't able to be around to see the nuances of such exchanges. We all know there are those who have publicly declared their love of the "Report" button and stated that they will use it as much as they like, thankyouverymuch. I'm concerned that the loudest shouters will get their opponents shut out, and that threads will degenerate into one-sided discussions.

As I am in a group who is neither feeling bullied nor of the group accused of bullying, and a member of the UK forum and having read a goodly portion of the threads in question, I feel I am qualified to offer a reasonable opinion: I have to say that I think BOTH sides have responded in ways which were not very nice to the other, and all parties are guilty of escalating the "discussions".

Also, Maven, the fact that I actually feel a little nervous about disagreeing with you (and others) on the forums should be a bit telling about how the tone of your responses make people feel.

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

As I am in a group who is neither feeling bullied nor of the group accused of bullying, and a member of the UK forum and having read a goodly portion of the threads in question, I feel I am qualified to offer a reasonable opinion: I have to say that I think BOTH sides have responded in ways which were not very nice to the other, and all parties are guilty of escalating the "discussions".

Also, Maven, the fact that I actually feel a little nervous about disagreeing with you (and others) on the forums should be a bit telling about how the tone of your responses make people feel.

Heather, I don't mean to scare you or anyone! I'm actually pretty nice (or so my minions tell me after I'm done whipping them for insubordination). I wasn't referring only to the UK forum when I wrote that -- I was thinking as well of a thread I read this afternoon in the CR1/IR1 forum, and some of the OT craziness recently. It applies equally to "legacy members" and new members alike. I try to keep my head down when it comes to reporting -- only clear TOS violations I think should be reported.

Oh man, now I feel bad. :(

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que