one...two...tree

Captain Ewok - an idea to help with moderation

154 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Meh, I dunno...saying someone is coming across as 'ignorant' and 'academically lazy' doesn't seem like a personal attack. Do we need to be that insulated that we can't deal with a difference of opinion? Sure, you say 'hey, you b@stard, #$%@#$%@##$%@#$%@#$%@#$%' yes, personal attack...but otherwise, no.

Btw, did not see the post/thread in question, just adding my .02

He might have said more. You know how Rob rolls :lol:

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't know what it is you actually said and to whom, but the problem is that personal attacks are much easier to identify. They are clear cut and there is little to argue about. "Racist matter" is not so clear cut. Like I've mentioned before, half of what I hear on talk radio and Fox News I would consider "racist matter", but a good proportion of the population would disagree. That doesn't mean that it's not racist. What it does mean is that a VJ moderator trying to curb that sort of posting will inevitably be accused of having a liberal bias.

So you shouldn't conclude that Kathryn thinks that your offense is worse. It's just easier to mdoerate.

I do think it's unfortunate that things are this way. But prohibiting what you and I think is "racist matter" would prevent a pretty significant part of the VJ population from posting, and you know the admin doesn't want that. ;)

There was no mistaking the context or content of his post. It was bigoted, and was subsequently removed for that reason, or at least that was the reason left in the thread by Kathryn.

Rob,

For clarification, I issued the suspension, not Kathryn.

Thank you for the clarification. The notification of posts being removed and for what reason was left by Kathryn, so I made the assumption that it was hers. Thank you for the clarification William. At least i'm not getting suspended for insulting a member of a cartoon this time. :rofl:

He might have said more. You know how Rob rolls :lol:

Come on AJ, you know me, I'm always respectful. :innocent:

The bigots on the right are making a lot more noise right now. Most of the bigotry we see in the media today is from the right. Maybe it's because they're in the opposition. We all remember BDS, derangement is a common symptom of electoral dysfunction.

Without hijacking the thread, the bigotry on the left is more subtle, yet more pervasive.

Timeline

Without hijacking the thread, the bigotry on the left is more subtle, yet more pervasive.

Or in the case of many RWN, purely imagined because someone doesn't agree with you.

Without hijacking the thread, I'd like to hijack the thread.

Now I'm no racist, but I am such a racist.

I don't mean to bait, but bait bait bait.

Oh and my favorite. With all due respect, you are a bleeping ######.

Edited by Legacy member

Without hijacking the thread, I'd like to hijack the thread.

Now I'm no racist, but I am such a racist.

I don't mean to bait, but bait bait bait.

Oh and my favorite. With all due respect, you are a bleeping ######.

Touché!

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I've quietly followed this thread and others and just want to say that I think banning individuals is very bad idea and has already been abused once in what its first week?

If someone is doing something against the TOS consistently, they should just be banned from the site. But i've already seen users targeted with this new option not because of the content of their posts but their timing.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I've quietly followed this thread and others and just want to say that I think banning individuals is very bad idea and has already been abused once in what its first week?

If someone is doing something against the TOS consistently, they should just be banned from the site. But i've already seen users targeted with this new option not because of the content of their posts but their timing.

That issue aside, the new feature isn't a bad one in my opinion. As others have complained before, consistent and contextual ToS moderation should be applied throughout this community, particularly when non-offending members point to offending posts over and over again via the report feature. Its clear that if a mod has the ability to infer a certain orchestrated behavior such as the one you reference, then a similar inference can be made that certain other posters will behave in a certain fashion contrary to the ToS. And yet those posters are continually permitted to remain on this site which then creates more questions as to the intent and origin of said posters and the apparent complicity of the moderation structure towards that behavior, which is clearly offensive to ToS.

Just my 2 cents.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Timeline

I suppose, but the idea that it is against the TOS to take an off topic thread off topic is foolish and mildly insulting to the posters of the thread. It is a simple task to scroll past a person you wish to ignore and continue the dialogue, whether its a few users playing a game, or a heated debate about Islam.

The notion that a person's ideas or statements being too off topic to get banned from a thread seems easily abused, and I say this with a generally high regard for the moderation.

(Basically I'm asking that the moderators refrain from using this tool except under extreme situations. Friendly off topic banter...no, someone says all Muslims are terrorists and should be executed...yes.)

Timeline

That issue aside, the new feature isn't a bad one in my opinion. As others have complained before, consistent and contextual ToS moderation should be applied throughout this community, particularly when non-offending members point to offending posts over and over again via the report feature. Its clear that if a mod has the ability to infer a certain orchestrated behavior such as the one you reference, then a similar inference can be made that certain other posters will behave in a certain fashion contrary to the ToS. And yet those posters are continually permitted to remain on this site which then creates more questions as to the intent and origin of said posters and the apparent complicity of the moderation structure towards that behavior, which is clearly offensive to ToS.

Just my 2 cents.

The idea is a good idea, however, as we've seen in the last 12 hours, allows moderators to suspend people for their own "personal feelings" when there is no TOS violation.

Are you guys kidding, the thread in question definitely required immediate moderator attention and suspensions, not the highly "nuanced" discussions about race and islam that are currently listed at the top of the off topic forum.

90day.jpg

Timeline

Are you guys kidding, the thread in question definitely required immediate moderator attention and suspensions, not the highly "nuanced" discussions about race and islam that are currently listed at the top of the off topic forum.

Why do you think so? I've only seen one of the deleted posts (which I assume was the "worst"), so perhaps I'm missing something?

Edited by Sousuke

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I suppose, but the idea that it is against the TOS to take an off topic thread off topic is foolish and mildly insulting to the posters of the thread. It is a simple task to scroll past a person you wish to ignore and continue the dialogue, whether its a few users playing a game, or a heated debate about Islam.

The notion that a person's ideas or statements being too off topic to get banned from a thread seems easily abused, and I say this with a generally high regard for the moderation.

(Basically I'm asking that the moderators refrain from using this tool except under extreme situations. Friendly off topic banter...no, someone says all Muslims are terrorists and should be executed...yes.)

Certainly- my ignore function is unused and I still manage not to waste my time with people that are clearly incapable of having a consistent mentality, even for a message board.

I do like the idea of taking out the trash, however, specially when the antagonism goes beyond simple humor, which is what I think the thread ban feature is for anyway. If people get suspended, banned from a thread, multiple times over the years, things should be painfully obvious to see and not taking out that trash indeed makes for a very stinky trash can.

The idea is a good idea, however, as we've seen in the last 12 hours, allows moderators to suspend people for their own "personal feelings" when there is no TOS violation.

I'm sure this can be addressed in a manner that the mods can fine-tune if they wish.

:lol:

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.