BlueBonnet

Can you be denied at the border ?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was reading up on non immigrant visa's .. which is what the K1 is. In what I read, it said, that even if the CO issues the visa, that the Border Guard can deny your entry into the States. Is this true ? Has this happened ? I mean, we go through all the hoops, we submit our entire lives to them for review, we ( hopefully ) dont do something stupid that we know were not allowed to do, we do everthing right, we are upstanding people, we are honest .... and they still have the right to refuse our entry when we have all our documents ?

This is just a general question, more out of curiousity than anything.

~~~ Hes the chance Im taking ~~~

April 2007 - Met online

Oct. 2008 - He came to Canada to meet me

Dec 25 2009 officially engaged

March 2010 - sent off I-129F

March 27 2010 - Vermont receives package :)

April 3 2010 - Informed through mail that cheque is cashed NOA1

May 28 2010 - RFE notification ( yeah Im online checking alot >.< )

June 5 2010 - RFE hardcopy received

June 18 2010 - RFE returned ( had done it June 7 - but USPS returned grrrr )

--- case says we should hear from them in 60 days from June 18 ---

June 23 - Touched

Aug4 - Email notification of NoA2 :)

Aug. 10 - NOA2 Hardcopy received

Sept. 13 - Faxed off Package 3

Sept 14 - Interview notification set for Oct. 5

Oct. 5 2010 Interview Passed

March 17 2011 POE Canadian/US border

April 1 2011 Marriage

Mailed AOS June 1

Chicago Lockbox confirms delivery June 3

Check cashed through bank - notification June 9

Filed: Other Timeline

In theory . . . yes. In practice . . . as likely as a virgin getting pregnant and having a baby.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

One of the most common reasons people are denied entry with a non-immigrant visa or other entry pass is because the CBP officer suspects they are going to overstay their visa or try to immigrate. These suspicions don't exist with a K1 because it's already been established that you will marry and adjust status, and you've already been approved by USCIS and Department of State to do this. This makes the CBP officer's job pretty easy. Are your documents in order? Did you fill out your I-94 and customs declaration correctly and honestly? You don't have any obvious inadmissibilities? If so, then Welcome to America! :thumbs:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

When "our" turn came, I asked an immigration attorney about this same concern. He said that yes, CBP can deny entry, but it's extremely rare with K-1 entrants, because CBP figures that they've already (& recently) been through the wringer at the consulate. That was certainly our situation.

Short answer: Don't sweat it, no man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes it can happen and yes it did happen to one VJ member from Canada, a few months ago.

What happened was that he had some situation where you would normally have to file a waiver - apparently. The CO in Montreal deemed this was not necessary and issued the visa, person got to the border with the visa and was denied entry and told to go and file a waiver I believe.

Long story short, Montreal looked in to it and he was allowed to cross the border with no waiver.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Raises Hand

Almost happened to my hubby. He is from a "t" country, brought more than 10,000 euros with him, and I guess just looked suspicious. They opened the magic brown envelope and looked at all the evidence again, actually read some of the chat logs I had sent as evidence of our relationship, pulled up my criminal history on the computer and per my hubby (then fiance) were laughing about it. They were pretty much a**holes and kept threatening to send him back.

After about five hours they let him through but of course his flight had left so he spent his first night in the good ole USA sleeping in O'Hara airport. I really thought about filing a complaint because it was like the border police were re-adjudicating his case.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
If they think you are a terrorist.. name is on a list somewhere..

Do you really think they visa would be approved in the first place if they were a known terrorist and on a list somewhere?

"You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without."

Mailed K-1 on 2-6-10

USCIS received packet on 2-8-10

NOA 1: Received 2-16-10

NOA 2: Approved 4-29-10 (72 Days)

NVC Forwarded Petition to London- 5-6-10

NVC Letter Received: 5-7-1010

London Received Packet: 5-14-10

London Mailed Packet to Rob: 5-18-10

Packet 3 Received by Rob: 5-22-2010

Packet 3 paperwork mailed to Rob 6-12-10

Medical- July 8, 2010

Everything mailed to Embassy 7-19-10

Interview Date: 9-14-10- Approved pending non-machine washed replacement passport.

Entry to US- 10-6-10 POE- Newark

Wedding- 10-23-10

AOS

Mailed AOS paperwork to the Chicago lockbox 1-7-11

Delivery Notification 1-10-11

Text stating application was received 1-20-11

Check Cashed 1-21-11

NOA 1 received 1-22-11

Biometrics letter received 1-29--11

Biometrics appointment 2-24-11

Received notice- I-485 has been transferred to the California Service Center 2-9-11.

3-11-11 - EAD production ordered

3-19-11- EAD Received

3-31-2011- AOS approved without interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello my friend, this is my response for you. Any person who is NOT A UNITED STATES CITIZEN CAN BE DENIED AT THE MOMENT OF ENTRY TO THE U.S. The only who is illegal and unconstitutional to bar to enter in the U.S. is the U.S. citizens bearing U.S. passports, of course. Therefore, if you any kind of visa or any even a U.S. green card, in case of a big problem that the person had for whatever, believe me you become right away inadmissible to enter to the U.S. Thanks an bye,

It's very rare but it does happen. I know of at least three known cases reported on this website.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

" It's very rare but it does happen. I know of at least three known cases reported on this website. "

Any particular reason as to why .. Can you link their stories ?

~~~ Hes the chance Im taking ~~~

April 2007 - Met online

Oct. 2008 - He came to Canada to meet me

Dec 25 2009 officially engaged

March 2010 - sent off I-129F

March 27 2010 - Vermont receives package :)

April 3 2010 - Informed through mail that cheque is cashed NOA1

May 28 2010 - RFE notification ( yeah Im online checking alot >.< )

June 5 2010 - RFE hardcopy received

June 18 2010 - RFE returned ( had done it June 7 - but USPS returned grrrr )

--- case says we should hear from them in 60 days from June 18 ---

June 23 - Touched

Aug4 - Email notification of NoA2 :)

Aug. 10 - NOA2 Hardcopy received

Sept. 13 - Faxed off Package 3

Sept 14 - Interview notification set for Oct. 5

Oct. 5 2010 Interview Passed

March 17 2011 POE Canadian/US border

April 1 2011 Marriage

Mailed AOS June 1

Chicago Lockbox confirms delivery June 3

Check cashed through bank - notification June 9

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If the border determines that the consulate made an error when issuing the visa, such as trailmix posted, you can be denied. However, in that situation, the consulate over-ruled the CBP.

Do a search, you'll find the story

good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

" It's very rare but it does happen. I know of at least three known cases reported on this website. "

Any particular reason as to why .. Can you link their stories ?

The one situation has already been referred to in this thread.

The other two accounts were lost in a web-site crash three or four years ago. One was a similar tale to the Canadian story except a waiver WAS required for the K1 holder to enter. The other incident involved an entrant who did not speak English as a first language and referred to his fiance at entry as his wife.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I personally don't know anyone who this happened to, if you do ALL that's required from you and pass all checks and you're legally going there, why would they do that? If your fiance doesn't speak good English, they should call for a translator or you can go with him/her. Don't worry, it is so rare.

K1 Timeline
03/08/10 - I-129F packet sent to VSC
07/07/10 - Interview Date - APPROVED!
10/28/10 - POE @ Chicago
11/21/10 - Marriage

AOS, AP, EAD.
01/18/11 - AOS, AP, EAD packet sent
03/07/2011 - Biometrics appointment
03/29/2011 - AOS, AP and EAD approved (After 2.5 months)
04/04/2011 - Green card in hand[/size]

ROC
02/12/2013 - ROC packet sent
02/21/2013 - NOA1 Received
03/09/2013 - Biometrics appointment
06/19/2013 - ROC APPROVED!

N-400 Naturalization

06/20/2014 - N-400 Packet sent

07/15/2014 - Check Cashedarrow-10x10.png

08/04/2014 - Biometrics

02/19/2015 - Interview

03/26/2015 - Oath Ceremony
event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.